Quantcast Sony Vaio SA/SB/SC/SE Advanced Menu BIOS Hack

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 33 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Sony Vaio SA/SB/SC/SE Advanced Menu BIOS Hack

100% laptop dynamite

Default Sony Vaio SA/SB/SC/SE Advanced Menu BIOS Hack

PULLED because people do not read warnings and play around with settings they are not supposed to touch.

Sony VAIO SA/SB/SC/SE BIOS hack available

Since the Sandy Bridge generation VAIO BIOSes are almost similar, hacking the new VAIO S series' BIOS was simple.

07/08/2012
    Advanced menu hack updated to newest BIOS version R2087H4. Please check if this version is suitable for your particular model before flashing!

Many new options for tweaking revealed. These options most likely interesting for advanced users only.

You find more info to this thread in the Sony Vaio Z2 (2011) Advanced Menu BIOS Hack thread.

The disclaimer
    This project is 100% spare time driven. There is no warranty or support at all. Don't use this if you are unexperienced with computers. All you do with this BIOS is on your own risk! Flashing is a dangerous process. Make backups of your data. Your warranty may void with flashing this hack. Don't fiddle around with settings you don't understand - you may brick your laptop. All settings in BIOS get stored in the flash rom. Disconnecting the RTC battery will NOT reset the BIOS settings since they are non-volatile. If you fail, there is no return since BIOS recovery is unavailable to new sony laptops.

CAUTION! Do not change the following options in your hacked BIOS or you will brick your laptop!

* disable Intel GPU

* set first GPU to PEG

Prerequisites:

- Check at the Sony support page for your notebook if the R2085H4 BIOS (release date 11/21/2011) is available for your model. If it's not available, DON'T FLASH this hacked BIOS as you may brick your laptop!

- Create a backup of your stock BIOS - you might need it later for warranty reasons etc.:

- Download this BIOS Backup tool
    - Extract it and run the contained file dump_BIOS.bat. Read the note and confirm. Then you will find the Backup Image as DUMP.ROM in the same directory.

You can use the backup file with the flashing tool as follows if you need it later to recover to original BIOS (e.g. in warranty case).

Flashing process:

1. Download the hacked BIOS package from the attachment of this thread (see bottom). Extract the archive to your harddrive (e.g. to C:\)

2. Close all running applications. Charge your battery and leave your AC adaptor plugged in until you are finished.
    Navigate to the directory with the unpacked BIOS package and run InsydeFlash.exe as Administrator.

3. Press Start and follow the screen instructions. After the flash completed, reboot your laptop. That's it!

Last edited by pyr0; 10th September 2013 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Update: BIOS ver R2087H4
    My Sony VAIO projects:
    Bluray | Expresscard eSATA, USB 3.0 | How to make a full back up | Custom S-Buttons | VAIO Z2 (2011) BIOS hack | VAIO S Series (2011) BIOS hack | More hacks in the making

Big time Idiot

Default Re: Sony Vaio SA/SB/SC/SE Advanced Menu BIOS Hack

Thank you very much!

EDIT: the flashing process starts instantly after program execution, so watch out
    Vaio SA 13.3" i5 + HD6630m
    8GB 128GB 1600x900

NBR Moderator

Looks slick, I wish I could try it out but my GF has the SA...

ThinkPad T420 | i3 2310M | NVS 4200M | 8GB 1.35V | 14" 900p

100% laptop dynamite

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyshaw View Post
    the flashing process starts instantly after program execution, so watch out
    Updated link with corrected Flashing Utility that now shows "Start" and "Exit" button for your convenience.

Notebook Deity

thanks for your effort +rep'd!
    SONY VAIO VPC-SA290X | i5-2520m | Radeon HD 6630m | 8GB DDR3 | 256GB Crucial M4 | 13.3" 1600x900 | USB 3.0

[HOW TO]
    recover bundled applications (Adobe suite, PowerDVD, etc.) from SONY's hidden recovery partition
    clone HDD to SSD with Symantec Ghost

Notebook Enthusiast

I have been running an unlocked bios provided by "camiloml" from here for quite some time now. How does your bios differ, if at all, from this one?

also, Camiloml has not found a safe way to re-enable SATA3, especially as the bios settings are not stored in volatile memory, and all bios recovery options have been disabled by sony. Is there any chance of a hack coming from you?

100% laptop dynamite

Quote Originally Posted by CyberWalrus View Post
    I have been running an unlocked bios provided by "camiloml" from here for quite some time now. How does your bios differ, if at all, from this one?
    I know camilo and had already a look on his BIOS. In terms of functionality, our BIOSes do not differ so much from each other except that he replaced ALL opcode 0x27 checks and I only enabled one that was necessary for the advanced menu. My opinion is that the latter is the safer way since it can not cause any side effects, but probably you can argue about that.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberWalrus View Post
    also, Camiloml has not found a safe way to re-enable SATA3, especially as the bios settings are not stored in volatile memory, and all bios recovery options have been disabled by sony. Is there any chance of a hack coming from you?
    Almost all current BIOSes store values in flash and sony generally does not implement recovery procedures to push their service sales. These two facts don't actually prevent me from hacking this but it would be easier if I had a SA/SB where I could hook up my SPI flasher to do serious alterations without risk of bricking laptops I don't own.

If I have some spare time beside my Ph.D. work, I will continue working on this. There is a reason that Camilo stopped his development, the AHCI implementation is damn tricky on this one. In any case, my policy about publications here was, is and will be: I would never post something that has the immediate pontential to brick someone else's property.

Notebook Enthusiast

Thanks, but have you managed to get the thermal management settings to function correctly. Even adjusting the thermal limits and fan speeds does not seem to produce a difference in the fan noise on the SA.

100% laptop dynamite

Quote Originally Posted by xplane9 View Post
    Thanks, but have you managed to get the thermal management settings to function correctly. Even adjusting the thermal limits and fan speeds does not seem to produce a difference in the fan noise on the SA.
    Since I have no S series VAIO, I can't confirm. It's the same for the Z - changing the fan stuff does not have any effect because the FAN control is coded outside of the BIOS.

Notebook Deity

@pyr0: about unlocking SATA III capability: i still run the original BIOS R1031H4 on my SA which supports SATA III. if you think comparing the two BIOSes could be helpful to pinpoint what has changed, i can dump the BIOS and send it to you if you tell me which program i should use.
    SONY VAIO VPC-SA290X | i5-2520m | Radeon HD 6630m | 8GB DDR3 | 256GB Crucial M4 | 13.3" 1600x900 | USB 3.0

[HOW TO]
    recover bundled applications (Adobe suite, PowerDVD, etc.) from SONY's hidden recovery partition
    clone HDD to SSD with Symantec Ghost

Page 1 of 33 1234511 ... LastLast