Quantcast No Backlight on LED screen

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 42 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: No Backlight on LED screen

Default No Backlight on LED screen

HI all, Im at my wits end, and with Sony also. My screen cracked thanks to the airlines. I've replaced the screen, and now have no backlight. I also tried replacing the hard to find cable, still no joy!, I've check screen model numbers, still no joy, I even put the cracked screen back in and now there is no backlight on that. I found a forum on Dell inspirions on with same issue and they talk about a fuse. I found what I think is the fuse, test with no connectivity, tried a iron solder ball and still no luck! Any ideas, Im out of my frigin mind and SONY want Over $600 odd to fix!

thanks
    Ben

Default Re: No Backlight on LED screen

Most likely a fuse issue.
    I just fixed mine (model: VPCEA24FM). EXACTLY same issue: I left a thumbdrive on the keyboard and someone closed the laptop for me == broken screen (the screen still lights up, displays white screen only). I replaced the screen myself, no backlight since then......
    I checked tons of forums, there are a lot of people facing the same issue, but there is not a cure for my exact model, the most close one is some guy replaced a fuse (F7 for his case) on a sony notebook motherboard and fixed it. Others are mostly Dells laptop, they replaced either F1 or F8 depends on the model.
    Enough about the background. The infomation I got from these forums drives me to examine the motherboard of my laptop. I checked carefully and tested most of the fuses on board. Finally found one fuse is blown. That fuse was labeled as F16 near the plug for lcd screen on the motherboard. It should be 0 ohm, but tested as 20 ohm. then I applied a solder blob on it. I know, I should not do that since I have already ordered several small fuses and they are on the way, but I can't wait... It turns out that is the correct fuse! Luckly, my laptop doesn't have any shorts for the screen circuit. It lit up right after I put everything back and pressed the power button.
    I took pics of the location of that fuse for other people who is stucked like I did. But I just registered here, not sure whether I can upload any pics, I will try.

Here are the pics, if they show up properly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mother board.jpg   fuse.jpg   fuse zoom.JPG  

Z1 Fanboy

Just curious, did you check in your computer?
    SVZ131190X i7-3612QM | Premium Glossy CF | 512GB SSD | 8GB | 1080p | PMD Blu-Ray
    Z1390X i7-640M | Matte CF | 128GB SSD | 8GB | 1080p | Blu-Ray
    TT190 Centrino2 U9400 | Matte CF | 256GB SSD | 4GB | Blu-Ray
    P113KX/N Atom Z530 | 128GB SSD | 2GB RAM
    L2190X i7-2720QM | 250GB SSD | 8GB RAM | Blu-Ray | Tuner

Oh, I forgot to mention: Since those fuses are tiny, the testing pins of your Ohm meter has to be really clean, especially the tips of those pins, or you can sharpen the tips if you don't mind damaging your Ohm meter. Another thing you need to consider is the motherboard may collect some dust on the fuses which might cause false reading. I found several fuses on my motherboard tested with high or no connectivity first, but after I wiped the fuses with alcohol and sharpened my testing pins with sand paper, they were all tested as good fuses(0 Ohm). Hope this could help you find the correct fuse.

ty lillizerg!! your pictures helped me find the fuse on my sony laptop and the backlight is working now

Hi to all , i have the same situation here , my laptop is a VPCCW1S1E can anyone tell me where is the fuse in this model? i searched everywhere i only find one under the screen plug on the mobo that says F 1 7 ..? can anyone help ? thanks ....

New Jack Hustler

^post photos of the board.

Notebook Enthusiast

Hi,

You should'nt worry, sounds exactly like my problem :

VPC Z13 Lcd Panel Upgrade BIG PROBLEM

(It stills works like a charm btw !)

here are some pictures from the up side of the mobo near the screen plug
    thank you all for the reply