Quantcast Manually keep backlight keyboard on Sony Vaio Z21

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    Notebook Consultant

Default Manually keep backlight keyboard on Sony Vaio Z21

Hi,

I just bought new sony vaio 21 and was wondering how can i keep the backlight keyboard on all the time? or manually switch it on and off?
    Thanks,

Notebook Deity

Default Re: Manually keep backlight keyboard on Sony Vaio Z21

VAIO Control Center> Keyboard and mouse.
    VPCZ115GG - nVidia GT330M + Intel HD. Intel 530 series SSD 2.5" 240GB, no optical drive. Windows 8.1 Update 1 64bit.

Notebook Enthusiast

No option exists to keep it on all the time. It has a auto-shut off at max length of 60 seconds (when KB not used). I too wish an option existed to keep it on in the dark all the time.

Software seems fairly buggy (as always).

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by anytimer View Post
    VAIO Control Center> Keyboard and mouse.
    Could you elaborate on this and explain how to do what he is asking? That is if it can be done.
    Sony Vaio Z (VPCZ12LGX/B)
    Intel Core i5 430M 2.26-2.66GHz
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 1GB GDDR3 / Intel HD Graphics
    128GB (2x64GB) SSD
    4GB DDR3
    13.1" 1600x900 LCD
    DVD SuperMulti Drive

Notebook Deity

Why would you want to keep it on for more than 60 seconds? I have my display turn off after 2 minutes.

Quick way to turn on the backlight without disturbing anything is to press the shift key. Pressing the caps lock key twice is also good.

EDIT: are you thinking about putting the laptop in a display or something? Is that whay you want the keyboard backlit all the time?
    VPCZ115GG - nVidia GT330M + Intel HD. Intel 530 series SSD 2.5" 240GB, no optical drive. Windows 8.1 Update 1 64bit.

Big time Idiot

Quote Originally Posted by anytimer View Post
    Why would you want to keep it on for more than 60 seconds? I have my display turn off after 2 minutes.

Quick way to turn on the backlight without disturbing anything is to press the shift key. Pressing the caps lock key twice is also good.

EDIT: are you thinking about putting the laptop in a display or something? Is that whay you want the keyboard backlit all the time?
    Why not? I have my SC's KB light on at all times when it's plugged in...

Then again, I'm a former Alienware owner, so maybe it's just a different camp of thought

EDIT: though on the battery, it shuts off after 10sec, and only activates if it's dark.
    Vaio SA 13.3" i5 + HD6630m
    8GB 128GB 1600x900

Notebook Evangelist

It does have a 'do not turn off' option... you just need to update the vaio control center manually from a recent newwer laptop model like SA. Sony update sucks in its stupid micro-management of software across different product lines.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeYbarra View Post
    No option exists to keep it on all the time. It has a auto-shut off at max length of 60 seconds (when KB not used). I too wish an option existed to keep it on in the dark all the time.

Software seems fairly buggy (as always).
    Sony Vaio VPC-SC-1AFM, i5-2410M, AMD Radeon HD 6470M, 4GB DDR3, 500GB/4GB hybrid harddrive, blueray player, WIMAX

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by analyzer123 View Post
    It does have a 'do not turn off' option... you just need to update the vaio control center manually from a recent newwer laptop model like SA. Sony update sucks in its stupid micro-management of software across different product lines.
    Hey! That's a good trick. Do you know which model's Control Center I should try to use? I have a VPCZ1.

Notebook Consultant

How do u update to the SA version? Also I wish that this keyboard backlight was more even and brighter, like the macbooks

MY FRIENDS CALL ME JEFF!

I just read this thread and it made my head spin a bit.

First, is it understood that the OP wants to be able to turn on the keyboard backlight at will, not only when the sensor thinks it's dark enough?

Second, on the reccommendation that a "newer" Vaio Control Center be downloaded, such as the one for the SA, what could be newer than the Z21 the OP has? The SA has been out for months, and the Z21 for one month. Perhaps the SA has had a newer update?

Third, I've had the same concern with my Z11 and I resoved it in a very low tech way: placed a tiny, carefully cut piece of black electrical tape over the sensor. I still have to press a key to get the light to go on, and it will turn off after no activity after whatever shut-off time is set, but it's really not very inconvenient. I find it easiest to just go for the Ctrl key in the lower left, using it like a keyboard light on switch.

Hope this helps. It was just a little disconcerting to read a thread when it seemed like no one got the point of the OP's request.
    Samsung Ativ Book 9 Plus - i7-4500U/8GB/256GB/3200x1800 PLS. Absolutely magnificent piece of kit and a joy to use.
    Sony Z's: (Z13: i7/8GB/256GB/900p/WWAN - "classic"; still better, lighter than most UBs 4 yrs newer!Z22: i7-2640/6GB/256GB/1080p; stupid fast/2.5 lbs
    HP Envy 14 Spectre 3100
    /14" 900p/Ivy Bridge i5/8GB/256GB. Extremely competent computer masquerading as a work of art!

Samsung Galaxy Note 8 - Swiss Army knife of mobile computing. The one device I keep if I can only have one!

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast