Quantcast VPC-Z2 Mobile Broadband - where is Verizon? - Page 10

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
    Purveyor of Utopias

Default Re: VPC-Z2 Mobile Broadband - where is Verizon?

The SA CTO is offering a choice of Sprint or Verizon WWAN (no AT&T). I wonder if the Z22 will also offer Verizon and, if so, whether it will be 3G or 4G.
    Plus sa vie est infâme, plus'homme y tient; elle est alors une protestation, une vengance de tous les instants.

Sony Fanboy

maybe the software for the SA CTO will work on the Z2
    Z1290X: 8.1 Pro | i7 | FHD | 2x Intel X18 RAID0 320GB | 8GB RAM | Premium Carbon | BIOS Hack | nVidia 3D Vision | Intel 6300 MIMO w/ Tyco 3rd Antenna | GTExpress WWAN | ViDock4+ GTX570 | 2x DELL U3011 | Ext Batt | Z-Dock & VAIO USB Dock | VAIO BT Keyboard | Razor Orochi
    P11SKX/Bl: XP Pro | Signature Black Crocodile
    UX490N: Win8.1 Pro | Core2Duo Mod | BIOS Hack | Broadcom CrystalHD | SIM Unlocked | 3G Mod | Ext Batt

Notebook Enthusiast

The Huawei people are tight lipped. They say the card will work on Verizon, but thats all they're saying. Even Verizon lists the card as compatable on their system.

FWIW I could not get Sprint to activate. Long post on it here somewhere. Sprint is absolutely horrible for customer support. They initially wanted Sony to give them their money back on the Gobi card before they closed my account. What a joke.

AT&T sucks. And I mean they suck big time.

Hey all;

So, I went ahead and set up a 3G mifi so I can actually work, but I am still on a mission to make my Z2 gobi 3000 work with Verizon. I'm just going to churn on it from time to time (in the middle of night when I should be sleeping).

A couple of interesting facts;

-- SA CTO appears to have a gobi 2000 card, not a gobi 3000. So, I don't think that the SA software will help.

-- Verizon just released a new version of the VZAM that says it is for Sony Z with Gobi 3000. I got farther than the other versions of VZAM (it recognizes my card). It won't connect, however, that may just be that they don't have the MEID in the account.

https://vzam.net/download/download.aspx?productid=1041

Here's what I'm going to play with next:

-- first, I'm going to call Verizon and put this MEID on the account. Hopefully they will take the number without a fight, and hopefully this VZAM version will just connect after that. Hopefully.

-- If not, my next thought is to look at the Gobi carrier specific firmware. I note that -- although only sprint and att are offered in the sony software, there are several other firmware images on the disk. Including this little gem:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Qualcomm\Gobi\Images\3000\Huawei\7-Verizon

Also in there is a service called gobiQDLservice. I think it loads the firmware image on boot, maybe it does something on suspend or hibernate as well? I'm going to play with that a bit, maybe I can convince it to load the Verizon image instead of whatever it is loading now? Not sure yet.

People have been hacking this on other devices, here are some write-ups I need to read in more depth.

'Firmware uploader for HP un2400 with Qualcomm Gobi chipset (alpha quality)' - MARC
    gobi_loader
    QDLServiceReadMe
    Qualcomm Gobi WWAN Card on Windows 7
    jkkmobile: Hacking 3G on Sony Vaio P

Anyway, will play more this weekend. Advice / Ideas welcome?

MS

Sony Fanboy

^ I think you are on the right track
    Z1290X: 8.1 Pro | i7 | FHD | 2x Intel X18 RAID0 320GB | 8GB RAM | Premium Carbon | BIOS Hack | nVidia 3D Vision | Intel 6300 MIMO w/ Tyco 3rd Antenna | GTExpress WWAN | ViDock4+ GTX570 | 2x DELL U3011 | Ext Batt | Z-Dock & VAIO USB Dock | VAIO BT Keyboard | Razor Orochi
    P11SKX/Bl: XP Pro | Signature Black Crocodile
    UX490N: Win8.1 Pro | Core2Duo Mod | BIOS Hack | Broadcom CrystalHD | SIM Unlocked | 3G Mod | Ext Batt

Notebook Virtuoso

Well, well, well. What do we have here?

Thanks mstarken. Put the LTE SIM in from my work phone. I won't be activating it tho, because it is, you know, for work
    Sony Pro 11 (daily driver) | Sony Pro 13 | Sony Duo 13 | Sony Z2 | MacBook Air 11"

Notebook Evangelist

^ Included in today's driver set for the VPCZ2290X is a VZAccess Manager utility. Is that what you're using?
    VPC-Z2190X (CTO): i7-2620m, 1600x900, 8GB, 512GB, WWAN, No Fresh Start, Black, DVD R/W, W7 Ult/64

Previous: Z1, SZ

Well, now wait a minute? What is a VPCZ2290X? Ours are VPCZ2190X and there's no 2290 available for sale on the site?

New plan: blow out all the sony drivers on my laptop and download/install the entire Z2290 stack, see what happens?

(btw the vzam that you found (good work!) IS in fact the same one that popped up on the vzam site 7.6.6.0)

I guess it took verizon longer than ATT and Sprint to sign their deal with sony?

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by mstarken View Post
    Well, now wait a minute? What is a VPCZ2290X? Ours are VPCZ2190X and there's no 2290 available for sale on the site?

New plan: blow out all the sony drivers on my laptop and download/install the entire Z2290 stack, see what happens?

(btw the vzam that you found (good work!) IS in fact the same one that popped up on the vzam site 7.6.6.0)

I guess it took verizon longer than ATT and Sprint to sign their deal with sony?
    Go to the main US Sony Support page, where it asks you the model number of your machine. If you just type in VPCZ2 and then hit the enter key, it will present you with a dropdown of all possible VPCZ2 models, both series 1 and 2.
    VPC-Z2190X (CTO): i7-2620m, 1600x900, 8GB, 512GB, WWAN, No Fresh Start, Black, DVD R/W, W7 Ult/64

Previous: Z1, SZ

Notebook Virtuoso

Did a drive-by of my local Verizon store to see if they would register it for me today at lunch.

They said it wasn't approved for the network after entering the MEID. I started probing and pushing the guy a bit to see if he would force it, but the rep looked like he was about to cry so I backed off.
    Sony Pro 11 (daily driver) | Sony Pro 13 | Sony Duo 13 | Sony Z2 | MacBook Air 11"

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast