Quantcast Vaio Warranty - effect of RAM / hard drive upgrade done by the owner

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Notebook Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    73
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Vaio Warranty - effect of RAM / hard drive upgrade done by the owner

    Hello,

    I am considering purchasing a Vaio SB laptop. It would be my first Sony computer. I asked a Sony telephone sales rep if upgrading the RAM or hard drive myself would void the warranty. He said upgrading the RAM would not, but upgrading the hard drive would. I also asked him if he could send me an email of or link to the warranty T&C and he said they were not available for customers to read - which is surely absurd, and suggests to me he might have been plucking his answers out of thin air.

    Anyway, I managed to find guarantee terms for the SB laptop at this site:
    VAIO : Sony Europe

    However, it does not explicitly say anything about hard drive or RAM upgrades. Given the explicit claim of the sales rep, it leaves me feeling the warranty is not very transparent.

    Can anyone comment, particularly anyone with relevant experience of using a Sony Vaio warranty?

  2. #2
    Sony Fanboy
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    1,474
    Rep Power
    16

    Default Re: Vaio Warranty - effect of RAM / hard drive upgrade done by the owner

    if you upgrade a part just keep the old one so you can put it back in, if/when you need service
    Z1290X: 8.1 Pro | i7 | FHD | 2x Intel X18 RAID0 320GB | 8GB RAM | Premium Carbon | BIOS Hack | nVidia 3D Vision | Intel 6300 MIMO w/ Tyco 3rd Antenna | GTExpress WWAN | ViDock4+ GTX570 | 2x DELL U3011 | Ext Batt | Z-Dock & VAIO USB Dock | VAIO BT Keyboard | Razor Orochi
    P11SKX/Bl: XP Pro | Signature Black Crocodile
    UX490N: Win8.1 Pro | Core2Duo Mod | BIOS Hack | Broadcom CrystalHD | SIM Unlocked | 3G Mod | Ext Batt

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    132
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Vaio Warranty - effect of RAM / hard drive upgrade done by the owner

    I sent an email to Sony Singapore regarding this before. Their reply was:

    "Thank you for your reply dated 07 June 2011.



    With regard to your enquiry, please be informed that the warranty would only cover the default original hardware on the Sony VAIO notebook. Warranty service will not cover the repair if the fault is caused by a third party hardware part."

  4. #4
    Notebook Evangelist
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    389
    Rep Power
    22

    Default Re: Vaio Warranty - effect of RAM / hard drive upgrade done by the owner

    Quote Originally Posted by ozaz View Post

    Can anyone comment, particularly anyone with relevant experience of using a Sony Vaio warranty?
    In any case, take this with a pinch of salt. No matter what someone else's experience as been - Sony may have different policies for models, place bought, year, etc. etc.. and they are free to change their policies anytime..just the way it works
    Sony Vaio VPC-SC-1AFM, i5-2410M, AMD Radeon HD 6470M, 4GB DDR3, 500GB/4GB hybrid harddrive, blueray player, WIMAX

  5. #5
    Busy Bee
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,233
    Rep Power
    39

    Default Re: Vaio Warranty - effect of RAM / hard drive upgrade done by the owner

    There are instructions on the Sony website how to upgrade the SB hard drive, although this is on the US website. However, we can see that you don't need to open your laptop internally to upgrade the HD. As been said keep your original drive and just put it back if you need service.
    http://www.docs.sony.com/release/989...es_HDD_CRU.pdf

    I live in the EU and sent my laptop to Sony with various upgrades which involved me having to dismantle my laptop. They didn't care, but then i could have been lucky with who i just got.
    Sony TT36G/D white 11.1, 256SSD, 8GB, Bluray BD, HDMI, 5300 wifi, Gobi WWAN EU, W8 64bit

  6. #6
    Notebook Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    73
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Vaio Warranty - effect of RAM / hard drive upgrade done by the owner

    Quote Originally Posted by trivolve View Post
    With regard to your enquiry, please be informed that the warranty would only cover the default original hardware on the Sony VAIO notebook. Warranty service will not cover the repair if the fault is caused by a third party hardware part."
    I realise, of course, that the warranty would not cover RAM and HDD added myself. My worry is, for example, that Sony would claim that any other fault (motherboard, oprtical drive, whatever) is because I have added RAM or HDD. I wouldn't know how to argue against them and it probably wouldn't be worth the effort.

    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerCowboy View Post
    if you upgrade a part just keep the old one so you can put it back in, if/when you need service
    I suppose this is the solution, but it is an annoyance. Means I cannot wipe the old HDD to repurpose or sell on.

    Quote Originally Posted by analyzer123 View Post
    In any case, take this with a pinch of salt. No matter what someone else's experience as been - Sony may have different policies for models, place bought, year, etc. etc.. and they are free to change their policies anytime..just the way it works
    Agreed. But thats why they should make it easier for people to see clearly words, transparent, and binding terms for a particular model / year /region before purchase instead of having sales reps give vague, questionable info.

  7. #7
    Notebook Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    73
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Vaio Warranty - effect of RAM / hard drive upgrade done by the owner

    Quote Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
    There are instructions on the Sony website how to upgrade the SB hard drive, although this is on the US website. However, we can see that you don't need to open your laptop internally to upgrade the HD. As been said keep your original drive and just put it back if you need service.
    http://www.docs.sony.com/release/989...es_HDD_CRU.pdf

    I live in the EU and sent my laptop to Sony with various upgrades which involved me having to dismantle my laptop. They didn't care, but then i could have been lucky with who i just got.
    Thanks for that. A publicly viewable document on Sony's site giving HDD replacement instructions (which does not say it will void the warranty), I think is grounds for arguing that it should be ok.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:34 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1