Quantcast Battery not present

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Battery not present

I have a Sony SZ160P/C. The computer is working fine on AC power, but will not run off battery. When I am on AC power I go to Control Panel/Power Options/Power Meter and it indicates that no battery is present. I have tried reseating the battery many times with no luck. I called Sony and they said to reset the BIOS back to the defaults and I which I did and still no luck. Now they want me to send it to San Diego for service.

Has anyone else had this problem or have any suggestions that I might try. The computer is 3 months old and the battery was working fine a few days ago, The only software update I did was download the Nvidia driver update from the Sony site a in the past week.

I appreciate any input on this!

APH!

Default Re: Battery not present

Try cleaning the contacts. I know it sounds silly, but it's the most basic-est of things you can do. It's a starting point. Also check if the battery is all the way in and locked.
    Last edited by Amol; 13th June 2006 at 12:06 AM.

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by tomp
    I have a Sony SZ160P/C. The computer is working fine on AC power, but will not run off battery. When I am on AC power I go to Control Panel/Power Options/Power Meter and it indicates that no battery is present. I have tried reseating the battery many times with no luck. I called Sony and they said to reset the BIOS back to the defaults and I which I did and still no luck. Now they want me to send it to San Diego for service.

Has anyone else had this problem or have any suggestions that I might try. The computer is 3 months old and the battery was working fine a few days ago, The only software update I did was download the Nvidia driver update from the Sony site a in the past week.

I appreciate any input on this!
    As of yesterday at work... My SZ120 is doing the exact same thing. This notebook is 3 months old and for whatever reason my SZ can't see my battery any longer. I have checked to make sure that the SZ is still powering the battery connection pins with a multi-meter and indeed it is. So... if my notebook is properly applying power to charge the battery... and the battery worked fine all this time... is it possible for a li-ion battery to just "die" like this. I am stumped and I really don't want to send the notebook to sony if there batteries are just prone to failure sometimes. Thanks in advance for ay ideas.

-Jason

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_Thames
    As of yesterday at work... My SZ120 is doing the exact same thing. This notebook is 3 months old and for whatever reason my SZ can't see my battery any longer. I have checked to make sure that the SZ is still powering the battery connection pins with a multi-meter and indeed it is. So... if my notebook is properly applying power to charge the battery... and the battery worked fine all this time... is it possible for a li-ion battery to just "die" like this. I am stumped and I really don't want to send the notebook to sony if there batteries are just prone to failure sometimes. Thanks in advance for ay ideas.

-Jason
    do a search there is another thread and a solution of some kind

Casual Observer

I also had this same thing happen to me a while back and I never did find a definitive solution. Only after reseating and powering down/restarting the notebook countless times did it finally recognize it again. Very frustrating.

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by mach_zero
    I also had this same thing happen to me a while back and I never did find a definitive solution. Only after reseating and powering down/restarting the notebook countless times did it finally recognize it again. Very frustrating.
    I just don't get it. I can't understand why the battery would just stop being recognized... out of the blue? I am going to try to go by Best Buy tomorrow and see if they will let me put the battery from there floor model in my notebook. If THAT battery will charge, at least we will know semi-for sure that this issue is indeed battery related. WIERD?

-Jason
    Last edited by Jason_Thames; 19th July 2006 at 11:17 PM.

Notebook Enthusiast

Default SZ battery "missing"

I usually use my SZ-160 either docked at the office or at home, and only run on battery power a couple of times a week. Last night I tried to turn on the system with the battery and got *nothing*... not even a little blip. Dug out my AC adapter and the battery charge LED doesn't light, but if I press the power button it fires right up. The XP power dialog reports battery power remaining as "Unknown" and battery #1 as "Not Present".

Removing the battery and reseating it makes no difference. Has anybody seen this problem?
    -Rob

NBR Super Moderator

Default Re: SZ battery "missing"

While I do not have a Sony laptop, I'm going to spit out a suggestion or two:

1) Make sure you fully charge the battery (though I'm assuming it was since you leave it plugged in all the time).
    2) Wiggle the battery a little (if you can) when inserting it into the notebook. I've heard that (and correct me if I'm wrong) that some models have loose batteries.

It's possible that either the battery is loose enough (or damaged enough) that it isn't making contact, or the contacts on you motherboard are damaged. Do you have a friend with an identical battery? If so, try theirs out and see if the problem still exists.
    Desktop   15" Macbook Pro Retina
    W7 Ultimate, Core i7 4770k, Crucial M500 240GB SSD   
    16GB RAM, GTX 780, 3x Dell U2412M Surround
       Mavericks, Core i7 4750HQ, 8GB RAM
       256GB SSD, 32GB iPad Air

Yup, i have the exact same problem, battery not present, no power from the battery, led doesn't light up. Tried reseating, but doesn't work.

Notebook Consultant

Are either of you geting any sort of pop up window about a bad or incompatable battery? I know that has been addressed on this forumn. Do a search for battery issues. You will get a lot, just weed through the exploding batteries and you should get some missing battery posts.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast