Quantcast US VAIO Z: Using SIM card (There is a sim card slot)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default US VAIO Z: Using SIM card (There is a sim card slot)

Hello,

Hello everyone,

I am considering buying a Vaio Z series laptop and I am very interested in using the Gobi 2000 card for 3G using a SIM card. So, I went to SonyStyle store to find if the US Z will allow me to do so.

I asked the agent and he told me there is no SIM card slot, but I found it under the battery. I inserted my international SIM card and it clicked meaning it was in place, but did not find any way to use it, and the agent really had no idea how to get it to work.

So, I contacted 2 Sony tech support agent, and they confirmed that I can use an international SIM card in the Vaio Z.

The problem is, what software do I use to connect?

The Z laptop has a Verizon software that I can use to connect to its CDMA network, but I could not find anyway to work on the sim card.

I searched the forum for a solution, and it seemed that all the posts say that the Z series does not have a SIM card slot, and I work have to solder one or change the WWAN module. However, all the 3 units I found at SonyStyle store had SIM card slots under the battery.

Can anyone please advise me how to get it working. I do not have a Verizon account and I am not planning to have one. (THE MACHINE HAS WINDOWS 7 INSTALLED)

My best regards,
    Saad

Busy Bee

Default Re: US VAIO Z: Using SIM card (There is a sim card slot)

Not all VPC-Z's are sold with built in WWAN. The North American Z1 models that did come with built in WWAN did not have a sim card holder. Z2+ models on that did come with built in WWAN did come with a sim card holder.

All models have a sim card slot but some may be covered over. I don't think there any posts saying that it doesn't have a sim card slot but may be there are posts saying some earlier models didn't have a sim card holder which is different.

{removed}
    Last edited by Rachel; 18th February 2011 at 06:07 AM. Reason: ......

Notebook Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply Rachel.

The Z13 model I am talking about is customized and sold by Sony USA and comes with Gobi 2000 built in with its antennas.

Specs: VAIO Z Series PC | Sony | SonyStyle USA

There is a SIM card slot, and it is not covered. In fact, when i push in the SIM card, it clicks and is secured in place.

I can connect to Verizon's CDMA network using Verison's software. There was no clear option to connect using the SIM card.

Provided the info above, shouldn't I be able to use a SIM card?

Best regards,
    Saad

Busy Bee

Lol, i thought you wanted to do this mod.
    Have a look at these threads.
    Gobi 2000 WAN Unlock Solution - tested & works new Z win7 64bit Pro
    Sony Vaio Z i5/i7 Official Owners Thread
    It's been tried on North American Z models but only outside of the US.
    I'm not sure if it's locked to Verizon for use in the US.
    Last edited by Rachel; 18th February 2011 at 06:29 AM. Reason: added link

Notebook Enthusiast

Thanks again Rachel for the quick reply.

I think those posts provide exactly what i wanted, the software. I have a 3G-enabled international SIM card that also works on At&t network, so I will go to a Sony store and try it for myself to see if work.

I'll post my results back here.

Best regards,
    Saad

eecs geek ftw :D

Quote Originally Posted by aljebreensh View Post
    Hello,

Hello everyone,

I am considering buying a Vaio Z series laptop and I am very interested in using the Gobi 2000 card for 3G using a SIM card. So, I went to SonyStyle store to find if the US Z will allow me to do so.

I asked the agent and he told me there is no SIM card slot, but I found it under the battery. I inserted my international SIM card and it clicked meaning it was in place, but did not find any way to use it, and the agent really had no idea how to get it to work.

So, I contacted 2 Sony tech support agent, and they confirmed that I can use an international SIM card in the Vaio Z.

The problem is, what software do I use to connect?

The Z laptop has a Verizon software that I can use to connect to its CDMA network, but I could not find anyway to work on the sim card.

I searched the forum for a solution, and it seemed that all the posts say that the Z series does not have a SIM card slot, and I work have to solder one or change the WWAN module. However, all the 3 units I found at SonyStyle store had SIM card slots under the battery.

Can anyone please advise me how to get it working. I do not have a Verizon account and I am not planning to have one. (THE MACHINE HAS WINDOWS 7 INSTALLED)

My best regards,
    Saad
    For the VPCZ models, if you got a Z with the WWAN module, it also comes with a daughterboard that connects the WWAN card to the mobo and that also holds a SIM card slot as shown in the last two pictures here:

Sony VAIO Z VPCZ1 - Unboxing Photos and Movie

The reason no one has tried to add a WWAN module to a VPCZ without one is because you'd have to buy both the daughterboard AND the Gobi 2000 card, as well as threading all the antennae through the LCD yourself, but i think it's mostly because it's not really cost efficient. With that being said, in the early days of the VPCZ owners thread (part 1) there was discussion on how to unlock the Gobi Card in the VPCZ in the US, which is locked to verizon, and i think the solution was to uninstall the drivers and install the European drivers for the Gobi Card because the VPCZ models in the Europe with the Gobi card come with it unlocked. This is from what i remember as i don't actually have the card myself, so I'd advise you to maybe search in that thread as it was discussed a bit.
    Back on the prowl...

Current:
    LPC-Digital - Clevo P151EM/Sager NP9130 | 15.6" 1080p (95% gamut) | i7-3610M | 4x4GB RAM | Nvidia 670M

Notebook Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Achusaysblessyou View Post
    For the VPCZ models, if you got a Z with the WWAN module, it also comes with a daughterboard that connects the WWAN card to the mobo and that also holds a SIM card slot as shown in the last two pictures here:

Sony VAIO Z VPCZ1 - Unboxing Photos and Movie

The reason no one has tried to add a WWAN module to a VPCZ without one is because you'd have to buy both the daughterboard AND the Gobi 2000 card, as well as threading all the antennae through the LCD yourself, but i think it's mostly because it's not really cost efficient. With that being said, in the early days of the VPCZ owners thread (part 1) there was discussion on how to unlock the Gobi Card in the VPCZ in the US, which is locked to verizon, and i think the solution was to uninstall the drivers and install the European drivers for the Gobi Card because the VPCZ models in the Europe with the Gobi card come with it unlocked. This is from what i remember as i don't actually have the card myself, so I'd advise you to maybe search in that thread as it was discussed a bit.
    Hey aljebreensh or anyone who's Z didn't come with the WWAN module, so what did you do to get mobile broadband to work on your Z. USB WWAN Modem? mini-PCI-e WWAN Modem? I currently have a Three (A Hong Kong mobile phone service provider) 3G sim card lying around because a relative signed a 2 years contract with Three and she no longer needs it. Anyone happen to know Where I can get my hands on a WWAN modem that will work with my VPCZ117 preferably from somewhere that I don't have to pay international shipping fees to ship to Hong Kong?

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by kvnchg View Post
    Hey aljebreensh or anyone who's Z didn't come with the WWAN module, so what did you do to get mobile broadband to work on your Z. USB WWAN Modem? mini-PCI-e WWAN Modem? I currently have a Three (A Hong Kong mobile phone service provider) 3G sim card lying around because a relative signed a 2 years contract with Three and she no longer needs it. Anyone happen to know Where I can get my hands on a WWAN modem that will work with my VPCZ117 preferably from somewhere that I don't have to pay international shipping fees to ship to Hong Kong?
    Did you try the Wanchai computer center?
    There are shops there that sells parts.
    VAIO Fit 13.3 - SVF13N17PG Black
    Intel® Core™ i7-4500U Processor 1.80 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3 GHz
    8 GB Dual Channel DDR3L SDRAM
    256 GB Solid State Drive
    13.3 inch wide (Full HD: 1920 x 1080) TFT colour display (TRILUMINOS DISPLAY for mobile, LED backlight, Touch screen(Capacitive), OptiContrast™ Panel)
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Digitizer stylus (VGP-STD2)

Notebook Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ota-con View Post
    Did you try the Wanchai computer center?
    There are shops there that sells parts.
    Oh, I didn't really go there for that specifically yet. I have walked around in it a few times for other stuff, but didn't see any on display. I guess I have to ask around for a Mobile Broadband modem since its really not a popular item.

Thanks Ota-con.

eecs geek ftw :D

Quote Originally Posted by kvnchg View Post
    Oh, I didn't really go there for that specifically yet. I have walked around in it a few times for other stuff, but didn't see any on display. I guess I have to ask around for a Mobile Broadband modem since its really not a popular item.

Thanks Ota-con.
    Yeah just find some expresscard 34 card WWAN modules you can just slide into the side of your laptop, that's the easiest and fastest solution.
    Back on the prowl...

Current:
    LPC-Digital - Clevo P151EM/Sager NP9130 | 15.6" 1080p (95% gamut) | i7-3610M | 4x4GB RAM | Nvidia 670M

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast