Quantcast Bricked Vaio VGN-SR290. How to restore bios?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bricked Vaio VGN-SR290. How to restore bios?

Hi!

I just Bricked my Vaio VGN-SR290. Is it possible to restore bios? I found the bios upgrade file on sony.com, but I am not sure if the file in it is a bios image (".rsrc_1" 1919kb). It seems to be a exectuable.

I found a guide where they suggested using a cd or usb stick, but I am not sure my machine is compatible with this?

I am knowledgeable with electronics and have a burner, so maybe I could desolder the bios chip or something if there is no other way?

Hope somebody can help me save my vaio!

Agrees to disagree

Default Re: Bricked Vaio VGN-SR290. How to restore bios?

What is wrong with it?

What you find on Sony's support website are only Bios updates! Those are not complete, flashable Bioses! You can only run them from windows and they update/change certain options in your bios.
    Sony Vaio S - VPCS11V9E - i5 520M, 8GB DDR3, NVIDIA, 120GB SSD + 500GB 7200RPM

Once upon a time and never again: IPC TopNote F; ECS Elitegroup A535; Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo M6453G

Notebook Consultant

this is the bios for vaio VGN-SR290 from
    Sony eSupport - VGN-SR290 - Software Updates & Drivers

you can flash your bios again from usb with win98 dos,i upload your bios EP0000209852,all what you need to do is make a bootable flash memory (usb,flobby)copy your bios to you usb or flobby and name it BIOS.WPH and then flash from dos.good luck

EP0000209852.rar
    AR SERIES
    VGN-AR71M
    CPU:Intel core 2 Duo Processor T8100 2,1 GHz
    Memory:4GB
    HDD:300 GB/Go
    WLAN:802.11 a/b/g/n
    Screen:17.0 WXGA+(1440*900)
    Optical:BD Combo
    Graphic:NVIDIA GeForce 8400m gt

Thanks guys! But its bricked. Does not boot!

Does my computer have a "Insyde" bios?

Undocumented INSYDE BIOS recovery method.-Use andy's tool to obtain possible names..

Notebook Deity

can you tell us what happened to your SR to brick it?

recently my SR290 would not boot at all. I tried the 'reset' trick I found on google and it worked! my SR is working fine now.
    -Remove battery, unplug AC adapter.
    -Press and hold power button down for 30 seconds, then release.
    -Replace battery, plug in AC.
    -Press power button and Boot !

hope this helps!
    Sony Vaio SR290 CTO 13.3" with Samsung 830 SSD upgrade ~ [ Linux Mint 17 x64 | Windows 7 x64 ]

I bought a battery from china that came with a bios hack. I originally thought this was firmware for the battery, so I tried it. It flashed (and killed) the bios. My laptop is on its way to a vaio workshop now, they will reflash the bios, and they did not charge to much for it so I figured why not.

Agrees to disagree

Quote Originally Posted by flipflap View Post
    I bought a battery from china that came with a bios hack. I originally thought this was firmware for the battery, so I tried it. It flashed (and killed) the bios. My laptop is on its way to a vaio workshop now, they will reflash the bios, and they did not charge to much for it so I figured why not.
    WHAT THE H***!!??
    And batteries do not have firmwares AFIK...
    There is however a Sony thing you need to trick in order to use non-sony batteries.
    Sony Vaio S - VPCS11V9E - i5 520M, 8GB DDR3, NVIDIA, 120GB SSD + 500GB 7200RPM

Once upon a time and never again: IPC TopNote F; ECS Elitegroup A535; Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo M6453G

Obviously there is some kind of identification chip in the battery. I figured this software programmed that.

Default Bricked Vaio VGN-SR59VG. How to restore bios?

Hi folks,

same problem like flipflap, just with another model: it's a Sony VAIO VGN-SR59VG_H:

As in all VAIOs I had so far, the original battery was quite bad from the start and recently got even worse. So I bought a 3rd party battery from www.akkusstore.de with high capacity which I installed yesterday.
    Obviously the VAIO BIOS only allows original Sony batteries, shutting the PC down if you insert another one. That is why the manufacturer also provides a CD with a BIOS upgrade to enable the new battery. I installed the upgrade (which was supposed to create a backup of the original BIOS).

After doing that I could use the new battery just fine, but not the original one, and - even worse - not the power adapter. The notebook does not run without battery, and the new battery does not charge, so I am left with little more than 1 hour of battery life. I measured the output of the power adapter and it works perfectly well, so I figure I've got a BIOS problem. My data are saved, but it still is highly inconvenient that I can't use the notebook.

I emailed to the manufacturer who has not answered yet. Also their website has been offline since I looked yesterday, which is not encouraging either.

I tried to find the original BIOS on the Sony VAIO website, but none is provided.

I found on the HDD a file with yesterday's date that might be the backup of my BIOS: 20110301164120.bio, size 2 MB. Also I was able to find instructions on how to flash a BIOS from a bootable USB stick. These instructions seem to require a DOS-executable file. however. Can I just use any version of fla.exe from another BIOS-package (changing the batchfile starting it)?

Does anyone have a DL-link for a BIOS suitable for my machine? It is a VGN-SR59VG_H the (obviously now corrupted) BIOS says it is AMI BIOS 1.23.1109, Version R4090Y1.

Thanks for any helpful suggestions!

Ray

Sorry to hear about your problems Ray. Apparently you are a bit more clever than me, and managed to keep your computer alive at least.

Have you tried running one of the bios upgrades from sony? Maybe they will fix it.

I think you can use the fla.exe from any.

My vaio is at a service station now, but they are unable to write a new bios, they seem a bit useless to be honest.

As you propably know you can use any universal li charger to charge your battery (If you have some cables and a voltmeter)

I have this one.

http://images.rcuniverse.com/magazin...n/gpmm3150.jpg

Sind Sie deutsch?
    Last edited by flipflap; 2nd March 2011 at 02:27 PM. Reason: typo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast