I have recently purchased my new VAIO and I love it. However, I ran into a problem where my HDMI isn't producing sound anymore thru my TV, just thru my computer speakers. When it was working I went into my sound setting thru the control panel and set my default to the HDMI and it worked perfectly. For some reason now when my laptop is plugged into my TV it displays the picture, but no sound, and when I go to set it to default, the HDMI option isn't even available anymore. (probably because I had a couple drinks and somehow hit a delete button and now it's gone) Now I don't know what to do. I have read several forums and havent found one thing that will help me. If anyone can lead me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. THANKS!!
- Try going into WMP.
- Go to TOOLS (at the top), and click on OPTIONS.
- Click on the DEVICES tab at the top, and you should see SPEAKERS in that list. Click and click on PROPERTIES.
- A window pops up. Under SOUND PLAYBACK, there is a drop-down list. Provided your graphics and audio drivers are intact / active, you should be able to see an HDMI output in that list. Choose it, and click OK.
I had to use the above steps when I first clean-installed W7. The OS didn't automatically change the sound settings when connecting via HDMI, but after the above it changes automatically.
Yes, I know that the above is done in WMP, but that enabled the sound for the whole OS while connected on HDMI (including media playback).
Hmm... That is strange.
Ok; when you plug in the HDMI cable to first the TV then the lappie, do you hear the 'device connected' tone from Windows? (that sound that Windows plays when you connect a flash drive for example)
Also, try going to Device Manager and seeing whether the computer recognises the LCD TV.
- START, right click COMPUTER and choose PROPERTIES
- On the left side of the window that pops up, click on DEVICE MANAGER
- Another window comes up.
- Click on monitors and you should see your LCD TV.
If not... You said that the HDMI connection was working properly only a while ago. Can I ask what laptop you have? If you have the Z series, you MUST be on the nVidia (SPEED) card for HDMI to work properly.
Another bunch of steps you can try, just incase. Do these with the HDMI cable ATTACHED to your TV.
- Go to CONTROL PANEL, and click on HARDWARE AND SOUND
- Click on MANAGE AUDIO DEVICES under the SOUND heading.
- In the small window that comes up, you should see the sound devices currently active at the moment.
- Right-click the white space right under SPEAKER (or whatever the speaker is called on your machine).
- Tick SHOW DISABLED DEVICES and SHOW DISCONNECTED DEVICES.
- If you tick both and it reveals a device, turn that device on (or make it default etc etc) and check your sound.
If THAT doesn't work, leave the connection connected and reboot.
...And if that doesn't work, are you sure your HDMI connection on either the lappie and TV are fully functional?
...And if all that fails, restore your machine back to the factory state and try again.
...And if that doesn't work, you might have some sort of faulty hardware (though unlikely from what you are saying; the problem probably is a negatively tweaked setting somewhere).
Hopefully one of the above will solve your problem..... Again, let us know how things go.
Ok well when I check for the device how you said to 5ushi I don't see my LCD TV. It just says Generic PnP Monitor but it says that twice. However when I go to control panel, view devices and printers, it is there. I have the VAIO V-series (VGN-FW####) When I plug the HDMI into my computer from my TV the laptop recognizes it and plays the little tune. I have no clue what to do anymore. I just wanna watch movies!!!!! LOL Thanks for helping once again!
I figured it out and I am very ecstatic about it HAHA. I clicked start then control panel and then view devices and printers. After this I right clicked on Sony TV and then properties. Then I clicked the Hardware tab then properties again. Then I clicked on change settings and then the Driver tab again. This is like a run on sentence at it's best but I just uninstalled that and unplugged my HDMI cable, rebooted and once the computer loaded up I plugged the HDMI back in and set the sound source default to HDMI. It worked. YAY!