Quantcast How to replace the SSD in Vaio VPCZ11 and VPCZ12 with non-Sony SSD - Page 32

+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 42 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 ... LastLast
    100% laptop dynamite

Default Re: How to replace the SSD in Vaio VPCZ11 and VPCZ12 with non-Sony SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Qwaarjet View Post
    pry0, what's your SSD setup look like? Stock samsung/toshiba's or something aftermarket?
    Stock 4x128GB Samsung drives. 0 Bad blocks, no errors yet. Factory new transfer rates.

Notebook Enthusiast

I recently upgraded from my stock 64gb x2 (raid0) to one Intel 320 160gb drive (Newegg.com - Intel 320 Series SSDSA1NW160G301 1.8" 160GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - Internal SSD), and then a week later added a second to get a 300gb raid0 array. I was getting sick of only having 128gb, and I did not want to remove the dvd-drive and replace it with another drive as I find having it very convenient.

Here are the comparisons of before/after the various changes (write back cache enabled throughout all tests)

Then finally, after performing most of the tweaks in this guide Sean's Windows 7 Install & Optimization Guide for SSDs & HDDs(note: I only performed these tweaks for this final benchmark, I also disabled c states in BIOS)

Also note that CrystalDiskMark tends to be fairly inconsistent, I probably could have used a better benchmark. Though, it was the one I went through with before removing the stock drives so I stuck with it for consistency.

I don't think I see anything in the guide that would have increased (read) speeds that much. Did disabling c-states by itself make much of the difference?
    Want to help? The Media Player Classic Home Cinema (MPC-HC) project is looking for developers, testers and helpers for icons and maintaining the website - link.
    Have any questions about MPC-HC or the Combined Community Codec Pack? (click for web chat)
    For video playback: xy-vsfilter & CCCP (use the bundled version of MPC-HC)

Notebook Deity

Disabling C-States makes a huge difference.

look at his unmodified single 160gb benchmarks

Quote Originally Posted by agoma View Post
    here's mine where all i did was disable c-state
    VAIO SVZ13 i7 3612QM-8GB-256GB-1080P

VAIO Z11 i5 540m/Intel 320 160gb/DVDRW/8gb ddr3

Good afternoon, who can prompt - how to connect in VPC Z1 SSD from VPC-Z2 (MZRPA512HMFU-000SO). Both there and there RAID 0, on in SSD from VPC-Z2 socket ZIF on 29 pin, and in VPC Z1 on 25 pin.

100% laptop dynamite

Quote Originally Posted by kuznetsov-vb View Post
    Good afternoon, who can prompt - how to connect in VPC Z1 SSD from VPC-Z2 (MZRPA512HMFU-000SO). Both there and there RAID 0, on in SSD from VPC-Z2 socket ZIF on 29 pin, and in VPC Z1 on 25 pin.
    Source for your pinout info?

29pin -> 25pin = incompatible? I guess so. Would require ribbon cable modification.

Quote Originally Posted by pyr0 View Post
    Source for your pinout info?

29pin -> 25pin = incompatible? I guess so. Would require ribbon cable modification.
    Yes that that sockets differ on number of contacts and so it is clear, all question in that is whether is укого the description of use of contacts of these sockets in SSD Samsung, or someone saw a cable connecting SSD and Motherboard in model VPCZ21 if they are identical on number of contacts, that is chance that the question can be solved simple replacement of a connecting cable between Motherboard VPCZ1 and SSD

Notebook Evangelist

I've read through this superb thread and digested as much as I can, wondering if someone can confirm if I'm on the ball here:

1) I have a Z11 with two Samsung SSDs, therefore I need the ZIF/microSATA cable from the Z12/Z13 to upgrade? Is it this one or this?

2) So long as the casing is removed, will any 1.8 inch SSD will fit?

3) How can I set-up the SSDs? I'd like to be able to keep the RAID 0 128GB for Windows and apps and add a single non-RAID 240GB+ SSD for storage. I opened my Z up and it looks like there's room on top of the Samsungs: imgur: the simple image sharer

Thank you amazingly informed people of NBR
    Old: HP nc8430 (Windows XP, T2500, 2GB, 80GB HDD, ATI MR X1600, 1680x1050)
    Now: Sony Z11X9E (Windows 7, i5 520m, 8GB, 128GB SSD + 750GB HDD, Nvidia GT 330M, 1600x900), Logitech G9x

(1) You currently have a single ended LIF cable in your Z1 attached to a single LIF board which has two 64GB SSDs on it.

(2) You need the double ended LIF cable (FPC-209) if you want to install another LIF SSD board into your Z1. The LIF SSD boards seem to be specific to the Sony Vaio Z1.

If you want to install "any 1.8 inch SSD" by removing their casing, you need the A1781464A FPC-217 cable which has two microSATA connectors on it.
    I'm not sure which 1.8" SATA SSDs fit though.

(3) If you want to do 3) you would need the double ended LIF cable mentioned in (1) but you can't just install any caseless 1.8" SSD with the one that you currently have. You would have to source a 256GB or 2x128GB Samsung LIF board that is specific to the Vaio Z1. If you want to install the standard 1.8" mSATA drives, you need to remove your current 128GB/2x64GB SSD board.
    (You can only have either the LIF cable or mSATA cable installed.)

For me, I purchased a double ended LIF cable. However, the LIF SSDs are kind of hard to find. I purchased a 1x128GB LIF board on eBay, but I couldn't find anything else.

I'd recommend you purchase the double ended mSATA cable and you will have a bit more freedom in selection with the 1.8" microSATA SSDs. Not to mention, most microSATA SSDs will be newer and faster models than the LIF Samsung SSDs that were released with the Vaio Z1.

edit: Oops, *cough*... Yeah, I should have written microsata, not msata above.
    Last edited by namaiki; 23rd May 2012 at 10:12 AM. Reason: see below
    Want to help? The Media Player Classic Home Cinema (MPC-HC) project is looking for developers, testers and helpers for icons and maintaining the website - link.
    Have any questions about MPC-HC or the Combined Community Codec Pack? (click for web chat)
    For video playback: xy-vsfilter & CCCP (use the bundled version of MPC-HC)

Notebook Deity

msata and microsata are not interchangeable, two different inputs. You do need the double microsata cable to make your life easier since you have a Z1. A1781464A.

It appears any 1.8" microsata will work. I've used Crucial C300's and Intel 320's. Not sure what's more readily available in the UK, but here in the USA the best readily available 1.8" now appears to be Intel's 320. There's also the Kingston V+ series, but I'd rather go with the 320. If you want to go with the V+ though, I have a spare 1.8" that I can strip to double check that it fits, but I don't see why any 1.8" wouldn't fit after being stripped. Micron makes a C400 1.8" but I haven't seen it available anywhere, that would likely be the most advanced 1.8" out there currently.

Like namaiki said, you'd have to ditch your OEM drive. You'd likely easily be able to sell it though to help cover the cost of upgrading to aftermarket 1.8's. You can't have both your OEM (LIF) and aftermarket (microsata) unless you decide to get a 2.5" SSD and replace your optical drive with an ultrabay.
    VAIO SVZ13 i7 3612QM-8GB-256GB-1080P

VAIO Z11 i5 540m/Intel 320 160gb/DVDRW/8gb ddr3