Quantcast What do you guys think about Bestbuy's extended warranty?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Evangelist

Default What do you guys think about Bestbuy's extended warranty?

Has anyone purchased it or have experience with it?
    Im very interested in purchasing the extended warranty with accidental coverage.

Notebook Geek

Default Re: What do you guys think about Bestbuy's extended warranty?

You should read this article over at PC world. It's a fairly long article debating whether extended warranties are worth it in general. As you'll read, sometimes the extended warranties don't start when the manufactures warranty ends, but from date of purchase. So a two year extended warranty may only get you one year of extra coverage....

Read the article. It'll explain it better than I could.

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by KoOni
    You should read this article over at PC world. It's a fairly long article debating whether extended warranties are worth it in general. As you'll read, sometimes the extended warranties don't start when the manufactures warranty ends, but from date of purchase. So a two year extended warranty may only get you one year of extra coverage....

Read the article. It'll explain it better than I could.

thanks, but im more wondering about a warranty that will replace my notebook if i drop it or spill something on it.

Notebook Consultant

my bestbuy replaced my laptop after 3 actual repairs. They basically put the total amount I paid originally and make a store credit for me to choose a nother laptop. If it's more expensive I just pay the difference. But depending on the repair types, it could take FOREVER to get the repairs done.

I bought a Sony SZ110B at Best Buy a few weeks ago and I bought the extended warranty. You have a couple of options, if I recall correctly.

I bought the 3 year plan with accidental damage/replacement. They basically cover everything except stabbings and shootings. If you puncture the computer, they won't cover it. If you pour pop into it, they'll cover it.

In January, I bought a Gateway tablet from them without extended warranty. I had nothing but problems with it. I ended up selling it on Ebay.

What I learned, and it's my opinion only, I would never buy a laptop without an extended warranty. The great thing about the Best Buy plan is that you can return it for a refund. Let's say a year down the road you want a new laptop so you sell your old one. You can take your warranty back to Best Buy and they will refund it. If you paid say $360 for a three year plan, that's $10 a month so a year later, they will refund to you $240.

Will

Notebook Consultant

Best Buy's repair warranty SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had bought an old Sony 1.6ghz P4 from BestBuy with their 3 year repair warranty.

My screen went out and they replaced it with an old scratched up refurbished LCD plus they scratched the case.

I was pissed, considering I take very good care of my laptop. I raised hell and made them change it again. The second one was better but still now new.

On top of that, they took 5 weeks to get it back to each time!!!

After that, I'll never buy a warranty unless its from the manufacturer. At least you know its repaired right, and with brand new parts.

Notebook Evangelist

****, so many horror stories. If i get the accidental can't i just choose to get the notebook replaced rather than repaired everytime. Because i know how long those repairs can take. And geeksquad..........geeks dont = smart people.

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by BFSWill
    I bought a Sony SZ110B at Best Buy a few weeks ago and I bought the extended warranty. You have a couple of options, if I recall correctly.

I bought the 3 year plan with accidental damage/replacement. They basically cover everything except stabbings and shootings. If you puncture the computer, they won't cover it. If you pour pop into it, they'll cover it.

In January, I bought a Gateway tablet from them without extended warranty. I had nothing but problems with it. I ended up selling it on Ebay.

What I learned, and it's my opinion only, I would never buy a laptop without an extended warranty. The great thing about the Best Buy plan is that you can return it for a refund. Let's say a year down the road you want a new laptop so you sell your old one. You can take your warranty back to Best Buy and they will refund it. If you paid say $360 for a three year plan, that's $10 a month so a year later, they will refund to you $240.

Will

Who told you that the warranty us refundable? And do they try to repair your notebook before replacing it if say, you accidentally spilled a drink on to it?

HI,
    I used to work for Best Buy and YES, the service plans are refunded with pro-ration. So BFSWill's example was completely correct. They have to 2 types of service plans. One is the PRP and one is the PSP. The PRP (Product Replacement Plan) is usually for cheaper type items like xBox, phones, etc. With those, you automatically get a new one on the spot. They don't even really test the problem just take your word for it. The PSP (Product Service Plan) is where they will have to send it out for service. And like the one person said, if it goes out for service for the same thing 3 times, you get a new one. I have seen the plans work for many people (myself included) and then there are many people who never use it (or forget they have it 2-3 years down the line). Just keep in mind if you have a PRP and you get your item exchanged for a new one...that voids out the rest of the plan and you have to purchase a new PRP for the exchanged product.

Hope that helped...
    Extended warranties are like car insurance... glad ya have it when ya need it...and then it's like pulling teeth to get your claim paid...but most of the time it's just money that you spent that you never get anything out of.

Notebook Enthusiast

I am in the process of deciding on an extended warranty but ruled out Best Buy because:
    1. their plan is carry in only -- no onsite service plan. And there are no guaranteed turn around times...
    2. there is always a wait to talk to someone in Best Buy - and next to impossible to get someone on the phone....
    I bought my sz650 there the other day. dude named 'Elvis' ringing it up inexplicably departed the counter without handing me my receipt I was left hanging around trying to flag down help....

I plan to read the cited article above re warranties....thanks for that info...I think I want a plan but one with on site service

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast