Quantcast Vaio CW Battery Drain Information

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast
    Notebook Virtuoso

Default Vaio CW Battery Drain Information

(I decided this needed a new thread)

Questions
    What is Battery Drain?
    -When your computer is turned off or in sleep mode and looses large amounts of battery life.

How do I know if I am affected?
    -To my knowledge, ALL Vaio CW computers (at least with the i5 and 330m combo). I have come to to this conclusion because I have had two of these with the same issue and I have yet to see more than one person say they do not have it on a Vaio CW

How can I fix this?
    -Right now there is no fix for loosing battery life while 'Shutdown'. As for sleep mode, you can help make the loss less substantial by doing a 'clean install'
    Instructions here
    And also make sure that you have these settings in the 'advanced power options'

Tests:
    All tests have been run on two different VPCCW27FX notebooks

Test 1: 100% Battery, 4 hrs shutdown: 90%
    Test 2: 65% Battery, no HDD, 3hrs shutdown: 48%
    Test 3: 48% Battery, 'Power Saver' battery mode, 5.5 hrs shutdown: 20%
    Test 4: Wifi Switch off
    Test 5: 50% Battery, Battery out: 50%

Conclusions:
    At the time being, there is no fix or known cause for the battery drain while shutdown. For now, myths of a clean install or using different windows battery settings make no difference, which means this is either a problem with the motherboard, BIOS or the battery it's self.

Please post any tests you have done your self. Also, if ANYONE is using a CW i5/i3 with no shutdown drain issues, please post or PM me. (please no "my friend has one and it works" because i'd need specific info from your laptop if you do not.

EDIT: I think I found the problem! Sony's battery care software works while the laptop is 'off'. Ex. You have battery care set to only charge up to 80%, even when the computer is off it will only go to 80%. The fact that this is still being managed means that the computer is partially still on when 'shutdown'. I will confirm this suspicion tonight I believe.

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: Vaio CW Battery Drain Information

Actually aan310,

This isn't specifically a VAIO CW problem.

I have two SZs and a Z with me now and they ALL exhibit the same problem.

I don't really bother about sleep since we are aware that the computer is somehow still running so it could be a matter of a thousands things which could affect the battery.

But what pisses me off is when the darned computer is switched OFF. Those batteries drain until they are totally flat. This is crazy...

I am aware that many others in the forum have this issue too. When they pulled the battery out from the computer, the drain stopped.

But the draining shouldn't even be happening in the first place because the computer doesn't need the power. A hibernated computer is a computer which is totally shut off. [which is why we can remove the batteries, plug them in later and still resume from hibernation]

Stumps me and really cheeses me off.

Notebook Virtuoso

Confirmed!
    Pulling the battery makes battery life not diminish.
    So, that means my suspicions are confirmed, it's most likely due to Sony Battery Care's low level function!

and whwtan, I know it's for many models but since i have experience with the CW, i'm going to keep it CW specific for now.

Notebook Evangelist

WE know it's a Battery care problem and all vaio's with Battery care function have this problem !! but the problem we can's disable it coz it seems it has some thing in the battery it self ?

Notebook Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by hamud View Post
    WE know it's a Battery care problem and all vaio's with Battery care function have this problem !! but the problem we can's disable it coz it seems it has some thing in the battery it self ?
    It's how the program is in the BIOS, not the battery.
    So, sony would have to release a BIOS without battery care (won't happen)

ORLY???

no way to turn it off?thats pathetic!

Notebook Deity

Battery care can be turned off. It's a setting in the battery circuitry, so that when you set battery care to on, it tells it to stop charging at 80%. So it's not the lappie staying awake. The battery just doesn't charge by itself because it has stored that command in its memory. You can set this in Vaio Control Centre; it can be turned off.

Battery care is in no way RELATED to battery draining. Battery care is a feature that helps minimize the DEGRADING effect that Li-Pol batteries, which lappies today use, ultimately all experience. That is, it extends the useful lifetime of the battery. If you need a chemistry lesson, listen up!

Li-Pol batteries experience degrading when they are charged and left near a full-charge mark (ie 100%, always plugged in). They also suffer degrading when almost / completely discharged (0%). The degrading results in the '10 minute battery life sydrome'; the usage time decreases with older batteries and laptops.
    What Battery Care does is that it prevents the battery charging to the full 100% so that it doesn't suffer as much degrading as a 100% charged battery does. So Battery Care is NOT related to battery drain. It merely aims to reduce the degarding effects that a full-charged battery experiences, by making the battery stop charging at lower levels.

You may have noticed, but all gadgets with built-in batteries (cellphones are an example) all come with partially charged batteries, always near the 30% to 50% mark - discharged and fully charged batteries are bad for the Li-Pol cells. And the manufacturers tell you to charge new batteries overnight so that they go through an 'intro' charge of about 10 hours (even though it takes 3 to 'fully charge'), so that the battery begins its life with a proper full life. You should take this into account with everything today that runs on rechargable batteries.

Hopefully that clears something up.

Oh. There is an entire, 50+ page thread on the battery drain the older Z has been suffering. We did conclude that some hardware on the mobo didn't shut-down when it was supposed to (I personally confirmed the bluetooth module, but some other Z's are showing different pieces). Essentially, we need a BIOS update to get this fixed.

The official VAIO Z battery drain thread

And my personal poll thread requesting Sony to fix this issue
    Sony Battery Drain fix request thread
    VGN-Z26: C2D P8600 (2.4GHz), 8GB DDR3 RAM, 320GB Hitachi 7200RPM HDD, BD-RE drive, Hybrid nVidia / Intel graphics, Intel WifiLink 5100AGN, W7 Pro x64
    Battery drain fix-request thread
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=423924

Notebook Consultant

That explains a lot...

personally I don't really care as I rarely need to use the machine unplugged for more than 2 hours... I don't let it charge either I plug it when battery is low or when I know I'll need some battery life shortly..

of course a 8 hours battery could be nice, but its not the most important feature to me.

Notebook Virtuoso

5ushiMonster, i understand where you are coming from, but the fact of the matter is that Battery Care indeed has a low-level counterpart (from the windows side software) that allows it to function while the laptop is powered off.
    Sony has changed motherboards, bluetooth chips, etc in many different laptops since the old Vaio Z. What diddn't? Battery Care.

On the old Z it very well may be the bluetooth, but i cannot believe that since the old Vaio Z, that even laptops with different motherboards, bluetooth chips and BIOSes are being effected in the same way.
    I'm telling you, it's the low-level Battery Care software.

Notebook Consultant

So is there some way we can turn it off?

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast