Quantcast SZ160P vs SZ160P/C - whats the difference? - Page 9

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
    Notebook Retailer

Default Re: SZ160P vs SZ160P/C - whats the difference?

Guys & gals those lids are carbon fiber they just have a different finish than 3rd carbon unit picture they offer in Japan. By reading this thread it looks like what caused this question to blow-out of proportion was that Sony rep who responded not knowing what he or she was talking about. In case I missed someone elseís post, you can check out various Asus units that feature carbon fiber composite lids & encasings, such as the Z33ís, V6ís and others and none of them have any sort of weave in them. And Sony does not offer a plastic lid for any SZ series; the other non-premium edition unit uses a magnesium encasing.

Notebook Consultant

:::

Yes, the Asus Z33 is using "CFRP(Carbon Fiber
    Reinforced Plastics)" as well....!
    That's why it's lite...!

:::
    Last edited by Talon88; 18th April 2006 at 10:36 AM.
    --
    Talon88 ~ IBM Z60t | Acer 8930G | Aspire One

Notebook Retailer

Asus states differently, they state it is carbon fiber mag. alloy; but I am no chemical engineer, so if mag alloy is some sort of plastic, I am also going to get someone from Sony to tell us all excatly what type of Carbon Fiber encasings they are using on them and hopefully they will respond directly to this post.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Kyoshiro
    IBM gone all wrong after lenovo bought the pc business off them.
    From the UK I haven't noticed any difference.

We've had alot of notebooks. And therefore we've encountered problems with notebooks from most manufacturers at one time or another.

I have to say IBM have been the best when it comes to fixing things. Moreover, they generally provide the best standard warranty cover. My brothers T43p (one of the best machines we've had btw) for example is 3 years of the bat.

They also provide the best information about their products. And there's no ambuguity about what your going to get. Sony get themselves into an almight muddle with these region specific idiosyncrocies.

Moreover, Sony support can be very hit and miss. They can sometimes take the "tuff luck, what you gonna do" attitude. Not something you would expect from a manfucturer trying to sell style aswell as substance.

The only reason I still buy Sony (sometimes) is:

- Quality of the Vaio Screens
    - Performance in a sub 14" form factor
    - Style/Design
    Last edited by 5to1; 18th April 2006 at 12:55 PM.

zii
    Notebook Consultant

Its simple. Sony only sell the SZ with carbon fibre lids. In Japan there was the option of a third style lid with the pretty gelcoating on it, whereas the ROW didn;t get this option. What is noticable is that the TX seris in the US offer a state-blue lid, which looks like the carbon fibre weave, as far as I can make out, shown on the Japanese site for the SZ.

Also, note that Sony US has not released the SZ190P/C and I suspect that this will have the T2600 CPU inside it. If Sony US does something similar with the SZ as it has done with the TX range, then I would expect to see the SZ190 released with a state-black lid, which in fact may well turn out to be the premium carbon casing sold in Japan. Of course, I could be very wrong.

Although Sony JP still list the Premium Carbon case on its web site, when you try and check-out it says that the unit is no longer available. It seems that this was a limited run.

As someone else meantioned, when I asked the Sony Style salesman at time of purchase (end of Feb) whether the 160P/C had a premium carbon case like the Japanese counterpart he replied yes, but sadly he had been grossly misinformed.

Notebook Deity

There is no SZ190 - just the SZ180, which has the T2500. That is slated to be the top of the line but clearly has not been released.

Yes, the premium carbon was a limited run - now all SZ90 premiums are the black carbon.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Digitstore
    Questions for our resident chemical engineers: Besides appearance, what's the different between carbon fiber with a clear gel coat and carbon fiber reinforced plastic? Don't they both contain carbon fiber and plastic? The Boy Scouts describe a gel coat as a "specialized polyester resin". Isn't that plastic? Is CFRP weaker than carbon fiber with a gel coat?

Alas, I never did get my Composites merit badge.
    To make a long story short, the "gel coat" in most consumer carbon fiber products IS plastic. The cross-weave pattern that people are talking about is actually a cloth that is woven from carbon fibers and different polymers, or plastics. This particular application is the best when rigidity (in relation to weight) is the most important factor. The carbon fibers can be interwoven with different types of epoxies to manipulate the tensile strength. It's also important to note that most "carbon fiber" accessories (coffee mugs, vehicle shift knobs and dashboards, etc.) are NOT REAL carbon fiber weave, but are carbon-fiber "patterned," or "finished." Be careful when buying!

Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastic or Polymer, is exactly what the name implies - it's plastic with a form of carbon fiber in it (be it chopped, ground, or unwoven parallel-laid fibers). The fibers can be of any size and arranged in any direction. The compression or injection-molded variant of this product is by far the most popular use of CFRP, as it is also the cheapest to produce, given the recent price spikes and shortages of carbon over the last year.

whew!

Javier
    Last edited by javylsu; 18th April 2006 at 01:31 PM.
    VAIO SZ160P/C
    and that's javyLSU, as in LSU TIGERS!!!

zii
    Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by FenderP
    There is no SZ190 - just the SZ180, which has the T2500. That is slated to be the top of the line but clearly has not been released.
    I know, but I was speculating. Does anyone know why they didn't offer the T2600s on the SZ range?

I know that when Sony released the TX series it only came with the PM 1.2Ghz, while in JP it was offered with the 1.3Ghz. Sony now offer the TX with the 1.3Ghz CPU called the VGN-TX790PK1. Might the same happen with the SZ seris?

Notebook Enthusiast

Its simple. Sony only sell the SZ with carbon fibre lids. In Japan there was the option of a third style lid with the pretty gelcoating on it, whereas the ROW didn;t get this option. What is noticable is that the TX seris in the US offer a state-blue lid, which looks like the carbon fibre weave, as far as I can make out, shown on the Japanese site for the SZ.

Have you not been paying attention? It is anything *but* simple. And I can't say that I appreciate people posting their speculations without clearly labeling it as such.

You state "Sony only sell the SZ with carbon fibre lids." Do you *know* this? or do you just think/wish/hope/dream this? I'm guessing the latter.

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by zii
    I know, but I was speculating. Does anyone know why they didn't offer the T2600s on the SZ range?

I know that when Sony released the TX series it only came with the PM 1.2Ghz, while in JP it was offered with the 1.3Ghz. Sony now offer the TX with the 1.3Ghz CPU called the VGN-TX790PK1. Might the same happen with the SZ seris?
    Well yeah, Japan usually gets top spec 1st when it comes to Sony and laptops, but I wouldn't speculate in this case because the 150, 170, and 180 have been proverbial vaporware to date, and they can't even easily fulfill the 160 orders they currently have or get them in stores like CompUSA or Micro Center fast enough.

And given the fact the 180 equivalent around the world is a numbered limited edition, I wouldn't think that anything above the 180 with a T2600 would come soon if at all from Sony here in the USA. Their current actions don't lead me to believe they want to flood the market with top end machines.

I think Sony US knows its largest sales base - they will sell more 110s, 120s, and 140s way before someone will plunk down $2500+ for a laptop, so the higher spec ones are more scarce.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast