Quantcast Vaio VGN-TZ190N/BC - SSD upgrade possible? - Page 2

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default Re: Vaio VGN-TZ190N/BC - SSD upgrade possible?

I just replaced the 48gb SSD (which failed ) from my TZ195 with a KingSpec 64gb SSD.

For the most part, the install was pretty easy. The OEM Samsung 48gb SSD circuit board is mounted to a cage or frame (as shown in the others photos) without any housing. Unfortunately, the KingSpec SSD circuit board does not have holes that are aligned with those of the cage, and thus could not be mounted to the cage in the same manner as the Samsung SSD.

I ended up removing the topside of the housing of the KingSpec SSD which fit into the cage perfectly. However, I could not mount the half housing to the cage using any of the OEM hardware. I ended up cutting two thin strips of electrical tape and wrapped it around the cage and the seated SSD. (Sorry, no pictures). That has worked well without any play or wiggling.

The KingSpec SSD has been working great for the last few days which has been working hard installing the OS, updates and software. Frankly, although the Samsung SSD is supposedly an SLC while the KingSpec is an MLC (while also getting 16gb more), I don't notice any performance differences thus far.

For only $186 at MemoryC.com, this upgrade is highly recommended!
    PCG-505TR => PCG-SR7K => PCG-TR2AP => VGN-TX650 => VGN-TX750 => VGN-TZ195 (Win 7) and VGN-Z590UAB(Win 7 64-bit) => TZ298 (Win 7) and VPCZ12JHX/X (i7, Blu-ray, 1920x1080, 512Gb SSD, Blah-Blah)

Hi guys, thanks for the useful information you have posted here. I have a vaio TZ150N and (as many of you) want to replace the HDD with a SDD. CALBenzo confirmed that the Kingspec 64GB works on a TZ so I'm thinking of getting this unit for the upgrade. However, I was thinking that the cage on which the actual Toshiba HDD is mounted might not be compatible with the KingSpec (even if I remove its housing), what do you think?

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by donny0216 View Post
    I just purchased the Sony Vaio TZ190N/BC with a 32gb SDD. I have also purchased a KingSpec 128gb, 1.8 in., with Zif interface, SSD to upgrade the existing 32 gb SDD. However, I have never done anything like this and was wondering if anyone has directions with possible pictures. I came across a thread the other day with directions, however the pictures would not load. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Could u let us know if upgrade was successful.Comments/feedback appreciated.>
    TZ298N/XC Premium Carbon
    U7700 @1.33 GHZ * 2GB 184GB SSD + 250GB HDD/ WWAN / WIN 7 PRO

SVZ131190X Carbon Black
    I7-3612QM * 8GB 256GB SSD / PMD BLU-RAY BD-RW / WIN 7 PRO

iPhone5

XLH 1994 HARDTAIL/BOBBER

Notebook Enthusiast

Hi,

I've just replaced by DVD drive with a 320GB 2.5" HDD and want to replace the 1.8" drive i my TZ with a small SSD just for the OS and apps to be installed on. Thinking about getting a 32GB Kingspec, but see that there are actually 2 versions:

KSD-ZF18.1-032MS - 32GB KingSpec 1.8" ZIF 40-pin SSD Solid State Disk SMI Controller (MLC):

32GB KingSpec 1.8" ZIF 40-pin SSD Solid State Disk SMI Controller (MLC)

KSD-ZF18.1-032MJ - 32GB KingSpec 1.8" ZIF 40-pin SSD Solid State Disk (MLC):

32GB KingSpec 1.8" ZIF 40 pin Solid State Disk MLC for notebook computers

Anyone know which one is the correct one to buy?

EDIT: The Based on what I found here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...0-5e94f27c056c

According to your inquiry, it is because of the power issue. Our KSD-ZF18.1-128MS can work with your Sony VGN-TZ31WN , and the power consumption of KSD-ZF18.1-128MS is lower than KSD-ZF18.1-128MJ.
    So looks like the S version is the one that's supposed to work. Although the discussion I linked to above hadn't concluded yet.
    Last edited by zetsurin; 30th July 2010 at 05:15 AM.

Notebook Deity

Before buying it read this thread.>>
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/hard...problem-4.html
    TZ298N/XC Premium Carbon

SVZ131190X Carbon Black

iPhone5

XLH 1994 HARDTAIL/BOBBER

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by zimbros12 View Post
    Before buying it read this thread.>>
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/hard...problem-4.html
    Yep, I actually asked the same question about the SSD model in there as well, but as if often the case with problem threads, people have moved on and quite likely long forgotten about it. However, to support my case, check out:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hard...ml#post5677687 [post #3 in the thread]

The problem drive for that person is clearly listed as KSD-ZF18.1-064MJ which is the jmicron controller version which fits my theory above (which I say the SMI is the one that should work) perfectly. I just wish others who posted in that thread would chime in to indicate if anyone else with problems had the jmicron or smi controller.

Apart from the hideously expensive Samsung drive that originally shipped with TZs, it seems a risky exercise trying to buy a SSD drive to put in these machines. If someone wants to sell their original Samsung drive, please PM me!

Also from the thread on Microsoft's site I linked to:

I am having the TX with the same problem. Mine Kingspec model is KSD-CD18.1-128MJ.
    The evidence seems to be mounting. Clearly the JMicron version has compatability issues. The challenge right now is to find enough evidence to suggest that the SMI version has none of these issues. It would be great if TZ owners could finally go buy an SSD they know will definitely work. I wasted $$$ on a 128GB Supertalent SSD recently only to find the BIOS won't detect it (trust me I tried everything - resetting BIOS settings, hacking AHCI on, etc).

And finally, since the SMI controller is made by Samsung, who are the OEM provider of drives for the SSD version of the TZ, that does provide a case to argue that SSDs with an SMI controller should work...
    Last edited by zetsurin; 31st July 2010 at 09:42 AM.

Notebook Enthusiast

In my previous TZ195, the KingSpec drive that I had installed to replace the original Samsung had also gone defective. I replaced the KingSpec with a Runcore SSD that is supposed to get up to 80 mb/s read. Anyway, I was only getting around 32 mb/s, and I recall reading on some forum that, for whatever reason, the TZ architecture limits the read/write speeds, although not for the Samsung drives. For my current TZ298, with the original Samsung SSD, I get around 57 mb/s read.
    PCG-505TR => PCG-SR7K => PCG-TR2AP => VGN-TX650 => VGN-TX750 => VGN-TZ195 (Win 7) and VGN-Z590UAB(Win 7 64-bit) => TZ298 (Win 7) and VPCZ12JHX/X (i7, Blu-ray, 1920x1080, 512Gb SSD, Blah-Blah)

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by CALBenzo View Post
    In my previous TZ195, the KingSpec drive that I had installed to replace the original Samsung had also gone defective. I replaced the KingSpec with a Runcore SSD that is supposed to get up to 80 mb/s read. Anyway, I was only getting around 32 mb/s, and I recall reading on some forum that, for whatever reason, the TZ architecture limits the read/write speeds, although not for the Samsung drives. For my current TZ298, with the original Samsung SSD, I get around 57 mb/s read.
    Thanks, that's quite useful info. Well, like I mentioned earlier I replaced my DVD with a 320GB 2.5" SATA drive and the CrystalMark stats I get from that drive are:

Sequential: 70MB/s read, 66MB/s write
    512k: 33MB/s read, 46MB/s write

These numbers are 2-3 times faster than the 1.8" HDD. Rather than screwing around forking out $$$ for an SSD that might not work properly anyway, I'm starting to think of just pulling out the 1.8" drive altogether and just stick with the 2.5" HDD which is going to already give a large noticeable performance gain over the std 1.8" drive which was really becoming quite unbearable.

Busy Bee

Zimbros12, what is the part number of your Samsung drive?
    There are about 3-4 Samsung SSD zif drives on ebay right now.
    Sony TT36G/D white 11.1, 256SSD, 8GB, Bluray BD, HDMI, 5300 wifi, Gobi WWAN EU, W8 64bit

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by zetsurin View Post
    Thanks, that's quite useful info. Well, like I mentioned earlier I replaced my DVD with a 320GB 2.5" SATA drive and the CrystalMark stats I get from that drive are:

Sequential: 70MB/s read, 66MB/s write
    512k: 33MB/s read, 46MB/s write

These numbers are 2-3 times faster than the 1.8" HDD. Rather than screwing around forking out $$$ for an SSD that might not work properly anyway, I'm starting to think of just pulling out the 1.8" drive altogether and just stick with the 2.5" HDD which is going to already give a large noticeable performance gain over the std 1.8" drive which was really becoming quite unbearable.
    So far from what I have read and by experience the one that has shown reliability is the PHOTOFAST V4.I got a 128GB but paid $600.In you case a 32GB
    Product Listing Photofast 1.8 32GB V4 ZIF SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
    Zimbros12, what is the part number of your Samsung drive?
    There are about 3-4 Samsung SSD zif drives on ebay right now.
    My SAMSUNG 64GB = MCBQE64GKMPQ-M1A (it is sitting around in a box as we type)

Right now I am trying to figure out how to boot from an INTEL x25 G2 I have replaced with my 250GBHDD.Hope it works

P.S.By the way Rachel U disappeared from the TT THREAD.
    TZ298N/XC Premium Carbon

SVZ131190X Carbon Black

iPhone5

XLH 1994 HARDTAIL/BOBBER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast