Quantcast Sony VAIO USB problems

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Notebook Geek

Default Sony VAIO USB problems

OK. All of a sudden my USB mouse stopped working. I tried a different port but Windows would still give me "USB device not recognized" message. I Googled the issue and it appears that this problem is known and there's a fix that involves removing a couple of INF files/etc. (http://kenno.wordpress.com/2008/01/2...ize-usb-drive/ for instance). That did not help. At the same time, my USB hard drive works fine. Windows also registers the action of inserting the mouse.

I tried booting Windows (Vista 64) installation from DVD and the mouse didn't work there as well, although it always works once you're presented with a menu. I then formatted my parition, did a clean install... and... same thing. USB ports don't recognize my 2 mice (Microsoft and Logitech).

Moreover, after installing all drivers/etc., my bult-in webcam and fingerprint reader don't work. The latter asks to connect the device to USB. Odd, since it's built-in It says "biometric device" is not detected.

This is the weirdest problem I've ever seen. Definitely not a problem with my devices nor is it a Windows problem. It appears that USB ports are, uhm, "half dead". How's that possible?

Someone posted a similar story here: http://www.techsupportforum.com/hard...80-laptop.html

But no solution.

Searching the web further, I see that a number of such issues come up. Is this a VAIO technical problem?

I also tried loading Acrois True Image (disk imaging program akin to Norton Ghost) from a bootable CD (it uses a stripped down Linux system) where my mouse always works but to no avail.
    VGN-AW190.

Resetting BIOS did not help.
    Last edited by crimsontwo; 13th January 2009 at 10:28 PM.

Notebook Geek

Default Re: Sony VAIO USB problems

happened to me twice on my SR290. Seems to be a Vista issue. First time the problem solved by itself (I think i did the INF file replacement thing). Second time, nothing worked. I finally had to do a full format of C drive and re-install. The whole things sucked.

Notebook Geek

It's definitely not a Vista issue (although Vista does have a problem of similar nature), since USB ports don't work under Windows and Linux, including Windows Vista installation screen where they ALWAYS work. Completely removing the partition, formatting it, installing a clean copy of Windows doesn't help. Today I also tried GPARTED (parition management software on bootable CD that's based on Linux and where I know the USB mouse works on every computer, including this one when I first used it to remove Sony's hidden partition)... and still nothing. Not wasting any more time. Sending it back.

I say: hardware fault.

Notebook Geek

yeah if it doesnt work off a live linux cd, then theres no hope

Banned

ain't vista or xp problem. most vaios have shared ports and they are underpowered. my T was 'loosing' the usb powered scanner if I have WiFi/BT on. My TZ would reset the USB bridge on the left when an external USB powered 7200RPM drive is connected (all those become either UNKNOWN or USB DEVICE with no specificity). The only remedy i was able to find is to COMPLETELY shut down the machine. Take the battery for 10 sec and reconnect it. All that was sporadic, not always the same results i.e. sometimes I went without this quirk for a month or so.

Please remember, Old HPs, VAIO and some Dells will not reset the device state UNTIL you take the battery out for 10 seconds or more. There is always power going through it. That's why your VAIO will fully drain a battery even on 'shutdown' after a few days while not being connected to the A/C

Most VAIOS have the following on the USB BUS:

Webcam
    TPM Device
    FingerPrint Reader
    CD/DVD
    USB Ports
    PCI-E MiniCard Bridge -> USB for Wireless & WWAN
    BlueTooth
    SD/MS Readers
    Some Have the TouchPad as well.

You see where the whole s&it comes from, right?!
    Last edited by |SONY|; 14th January 2009 at 10:59 PM.

Notebook Geek

thats a very useful post man, thanks a bunch

I have the same problem. Sony VGN-AW190jah.

After spending hours trying every logical solution to fix this, the one that worked was unplugging everything and removing the battery for 10 seconds.

I'm glad I found this thread. I was about to send this in for repair.

Thanks for the solution |SONY|.

Thank you so much. I wasted a couple of hours researching on Sony's support site and chatting with their support people and nothing worked. Two minutes of my time on this site and I found my solution. Taking the battery out worked like a charm. Thanks again.

Banned

You are all welcome!

Too bad not everyone listens carefully when I talk and render opinion/suggest solutions. I've been there and done that (most of my posts are based on experience and I deal with hardware on a daily basis).

Either way. I believe there should be a sticky on each forum / make on how to deal with stupid issues, like this clear Sony design flaw or how to deal with the buggy XP/Vista drivers for BootCamp that cause the rigs to completely lock up, etc. It will save a lot of time for people to search around for a solution that shouldn't have been there to begin with.

I am dissapointed to say i have the exact same problem with my AW120 J/H that i just bought. I was most annoyed to find out everything worked when i took it back to the store (i had the battery out).

It is good to know that there is a solution to this problem but i am so dissapointed that i have to constantly manage my laptop with a shutdown and battery removal. I think this is grounds for a return and purchase of a new model.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast