Quantcast Sony VAIO USB problems - Page 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Sony VAIO USB problems

I am having exactly the same problem with my new AW11Z/B. This is a GBP1,500 laptop and should be perfect. The problem seems to appear if I use the DVD drive to load audio CDs into iTunes. After about 5 discs, I get the unrecognised device error message. I have a Logitech cordless mouse on the USB but nothing else. Thanks for the resolution - removing the battery for 10 secs restores all to normal. The Sony support desk was absolutely useless and wanted me to rebuild the PC from the support disks, losing all may data - or to return it Sony so they could do it - and lose all my data. I am going to ask Sony for a refund as this is simply not acceptable. I had lots of trouble with iTunes too but found the solution and posted that on the Apple forums - the laptop kept deleting my library. This sure is an expensive piece of rubbish.

Banned

Remember, it is not only a Sony problem and I've seen it since late 1999 when they started putting USB port on the laptops

Even the EEE does it!

Another one with this same problem. |SONY|, your procedure worked. Thank you! Really just to say thanks and to add a data point, if it helps anyone. Mine is a FW275D bought last December.

Hello guys I have exactly the same problem...and it is the 3th time that happens.I bought the laptop 3 mounts ago. It seems that All the USB ports are not working well LAst two times I used the recovery of windows Vista and it worked after a few tries but now nothing is working.

I will try to get out the battery!!

IT seems that getting out the battery is not working for me, and I think it is something hardware, because I have also a Ubuntu 8.10 and I have the same problem.
    LE :It is working also for me !!!.......THANK YOU VERY MUCH |SONY| ,Stupid me .. .first time when I got out the battery out I forgot to unplug the cable ....Stupid me
    Last edited by Emilianm; 21st March 2009 at 06:34 AM.

I raised this issue with Sony Vaio-link support and they have now sent me a fix. It's a change to the registry. This is what they said:

Here is the link for the patch: http://www.vaio-link.com/CBCDL/USBRegistry.zip

You should: Download zip file -> Save locally -> Extract (unzip) -> double-click extracted *.reg file -> click Run -> Continue -> Yes -> OK

Note that I created a restore point before running it - just in case! I've applied the patch but I guess it will be a while before I can confirm it has done the job 'cus the problem was always intermittent. The rest of the laptop still seems to be working okay which is a good sign.

Thank you, thank you, thank you all!!!!!!

After hours of timeconsuming agony...remove battery and there you are!

And SONY pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!!!!

This should be something you can inform customer!

/ Roland

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Redkeefy View Post
    I raised this issue with Sony Vaio-link support and they have now sent me a fix. It's a change to the registry. This is what they said:

Here is the link for the patch: http://www.vaio-link.com/CBCDL/USBRegistry.zip

You should: Download zip file -> Save locally -> Extract (unzip) -> double-click extracted *.reg file -> click Run -> Continue -> Yes -> OK

Note that I created a restore point before running it - just in case! I've applied the patch but I guess it will be a while before I can confirm it has done the job 'cus the problem was always intermittent. The rest of the laptop still seems to be working okay which is a good sign.
    I did this reg fix some time ago and while it may have fixed an issue with hibernation and USB devices, it does not correct the core problem with the AW notebook USB power problem and solution of having to remove the battery to resolve it.

I've had this happen probably 10 times in the last month. Because it is so frequent and typically when the CPU is running at a higher level with playing back video or encoding video, I now use my notebook without the battery installed so that it is easy to unplug power, reset the USB, and plug back in.

This is a total PIA and is very frustrating since I think it is a hardware issue that will require a on-site or 'send it in and hope for the best' repair.
    Sony VAIO AW160J/Q 8GB SSD+HD [Win7 64], A290 [XP Pro], Thinkpad T61 [Win 7 32], T61p [Win 7 32], T42p [Win 7 Pro], Dell i9300 [XP Pro], Compaq 2701 [XP Pro] (sold)
    Sony AW - Fixing Desktop Color Settings Reset | Autohotkey Script to quickly change default playback device in Vista | Fixing the non-responsive space bar

Default Re: Sony VAIO USB problems ... thank you!!

Thank you |SONY|,

I experienced this same problem and your solution fixed it!

I was trying to "uninstalling" all "USB devices" and "USB controllers", and I believe sometimes it actually "worked" a few times. Your solution works ALL the time!

In my case I wasn't paying attention to the devices I was plugging into my USB ports, and the likely power they would draw.

Here, let me add more value to your post ...

1. I plugged in an external mouse. (No problem with that, right?)

2. I also plugged in an external 2.5" hard drive from time to time. It requires two USB ports to operate, but I think maybe the USB ports can't all be drawing power at the same time? Anyway, this USB issue would pop up from time to time.

3. I also use an iPhone with a "Mophie Juice Pack" (Google it). Hmm ... likely this draws too much power too, so I have stopped "charging it" on my laptop, and now I think I will be removing it when I want to sync my iPhone.

Bottom line, I guess I have to pay attention to the power draw on my USB devices with my laptop.

USB 3 should fix this, because USB 3 will support higher "amps" to each USB port. So, I think I will be looking for USB 3 on my next laptop!

Sincerely,

Bill

Notebook Consultant

@wpapolis:

I don't think it is a USB power draw problem, at least not on the AW. I have a POWERED USB hub with my peripherals and the USB on the right side is running a Logitech wireless mouse with the micro receiver.

Having recently installed windows 7, I continue to have this issue with losing USB ports and having to power off and remove the battery. So, now, this also proves it is not a Vista 'registry' issue as well.

I'm waiting until 11 months old and then sending it to Sony for repair which won't be long now. Meantime, I need to create a reproducable case that causes the issue for the tech.
    Sony VAIO AW160J/Q 8GB SSD+HD [Win7 64], A290 [XP Pro], Thinkpad T61 [Win 7 32], T61p [Win 7 32], T42p [Win 7 Pro], Dell i9300 [XP Pro], Compaq 2701 [XP Pro] (sold)
    Sony AW - Fixing Desktop Color Settings Reset | Autohotkey Script to quickly change default playback device in Vista | Fixing the non-responsive space bar

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast