Quantcast Linux on Sony Vaio Z? - Page 5

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 101
  1. #41
    Notebook Deity
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    776
    Rep Power
    22

    Default Re: Linux on Sony Vaio Z?

    Nvidia/ATI and the KDE 4.1 desktop has been an issue lately so it has nothing to do with the notebook. Some Linux users insist the newer Nvidia cards work fine but mine is older so I can't tell you one way or the other.

    From my googling, I think if you go with the following specs on any notebook, you can use Linux just fine:

    1) CPU - Intel Centrino
    2) DDR2 or DDR3 RAM
    3) Nvidia mobile GPU - unforunately, there are still major issues with ATI cards...according to most Linux users
    4) Intel wireless - new or old, Intel is working on Linux compatibility
    5) hibernate/suspend features seem to be a bit tricky and sometimes don't work quite right.... but, this has been with most notebooks, older and newer... I really think it's not very significant but I don't have a laptop yet

    Laptops equipped with similar specs to the Sony Vaio Z series should work just as well as the Sony. It's mostly about hardware specs, not brand.

    The issue with the e1000e driver has been fixed last I read.

    The Nvidia/tearing issue seems more serious to me.

    If you go with ATI, you will have another series of headaches according to what I've read. I think it will be a while until the open source advantage really means something.

    But, either graphics chip can be dealt with.

    Just go with Intel wireless, Intel graphics or if you need a better chip, go with Nvidia or ATI (either one but Nvidia has had a better recent history with compatibility).

  2. #42
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Linux on Sony Vaio Z?

    Ubuntu 8.10 works pretty well. I am running the 64-bit Desktop version. All the hardware I care for is recognized (LAN, WIFI, BLUETOOTH, WEBCAM). The only little thing that bothers me is that standby does not work out of the box (complains about some hardware that could not go to standby), but in any case I have not researched the issue.

    Boot and shutdown times are amazing in Linux. Shutdown is almost immediate, comparing to more that 2 minutes to shutdown vista sometimes.

    BTW I am using intel (stamina) mode and I have not tried nvidia...
    Last edited by rluble; 20th December 2008 at 05:24 PM. Reason: missing information

  3. #43
    a҉r҉t҉h
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,910
    Rep Power
    21

    Default Re: Linux on Sony Vaio Z?

    Quote Originally Posted by dhfriedman View Post
    running both gpus at the same time seems like a major problem to me...
    Why? Many Unix systems have more than one graphics card, often of different manufacture. That's no problem for X11 or Linux.

    The main difference is that these two are hooked up to the same monitor, which, currently Xorg/XFree86 has no functionality for handling. Some commercial Unix systems have done it before, though.

  4. #44
    Notebook Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    23

    Default Re: Linux on Sony Vaio Z?

    Quote Originally Posted by arth1 View Post
    Why? Many Unix systems have more than one graphics card, often of different manufacture.
    Battery life.
    There's no problem getting X11 to run if you know what you're doing, but with both graphics cards enabled battery life will suffer.
    Other notebooks with hybrid graphics have the possibility to disable the discrete graphics card in bios, which would be perfectly acceptable to me. Having both running at the same time is not.

  5. #45
    a҉r҉t҉h
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,910
    Rep Power
    21

    Default Re: Linux on Sony Vaio Z?

    Quote Originally Posted by moffa View Post
    Battery life.
    There's no problem getting X11 to run if you know what you're doing, but with both graphics cards enabled battery life will suffer.
    Other notebooks with hybrid graphics have the possibility to disable the discrete graphics card in bios, which would be perfectly acceptable to me. Having both running at the same time is not.
    But on the VGN-Z, the Intel adapter is never disabled in Windows either. Go take a look in the Device Manager when running in "Speed" mode, and you'll see both.

  6. #46
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    16

    Default Re: Linux on Sony Vaio Z?

    Has anyone found a way to get the headphones working on linux yet?

    Trying to use my headphones on my Vaio SZ71 doesn't work. No sound from the headphones, and the laptop speakers don't get muted. Not sure about other Distro's, but I'm using Fedora 10 right now, was hoping the upgrade from FC9 would help

  7. #47
    a҉r҉t҉h
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,910
    Rep Power
    21

    Default Re: Linux on Sony Vaio Z?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesmckeown View Post
    Has anyone found a way to get the headphones working on linux yet?

    Trying to use my headphones on my Vaio SZ71 doesn't work. No sound from the headphones, and the laptop speakers don't get muted. Not sure about other Distro's, but I'm using Fedora 10 right now, was hoping the upgrade from FC9 would help
    Fedora 10 has switched from ALSA to PulseAudio. Check whether you can set it up in Applications -> Sound & Video -> PulseAudio Volume Control
    If you can't, you may have to switch back to ALSA. A google for 'ALSA "Fedora 10"' should get you there.

  8. #48
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    16

    Default Re: Linux on Sony Vaio Z?

    Quote Originally Posted by arth1 View Post
    Fedora 10 has switched from ALSA to PulseAudio. Check whether you can set it up in Applications -> Sound & Video -> PulseAudio Volume Control
    If you can't, you may have to switch back to ALSA. A google for 'ALSA "Fedora 10"' should get you there.
    Got it to work

    If anyone else is having trouble, this is what I did:

    Found the file '/etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf.dist'

    Added 'options snd-hda-intel model=vaio' to the end of this file.

    Rebooted, and to my delight the headphones now work as expected

    EDIT :: In fedora 11 the file which needs to be edited is now:
    /etc/modprobe.d/dist.conf
    Last edited by jamesmckeown; 11th June 2009 at 07:44 PM.

  9. #49
    Notebook Geek
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    83
    Rep Power
    15

    Default Re: Linux on Sony Vaio Z?

    new ubuntu 8.10 x64 is almost working fine, exept that i cant run full gpu acceleration (nvidia). Everything else is working ok!
    Sony VAiO Z21WN/B

  10. #50
    Notebook Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    23
    Rep Power
    15

    Default Re: Linux on Sony Vaio Z?

    Quote Originally Posted by sector View Post
    new ubuntu 8.10 x64 is almost working fine, exept that i cant run full gpu acceleration (nvidia). Everything else is working ok!
    What about screen backlight?
    VAIO VGN-Z11MN/B: P8400 - 4GB DDR3 - 200GB HDD - 13.1"@1366x768 - XP Pro SP3 & Ubuntu
    My guide: How to install Ubuntu on Vaio Z

 

 
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:06 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1