Quantcast Vaio VGN-Z - Second Hard Drive (or SSD) - Working Solution

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Notebook Evangelist

Default Vaio VGN-Z - Second Hard Drive (or SSD) - Working Solution

I managed to figure it out

Actually, it is 50% done as I am waiting for my second SSD and then I will also create slim and thin connector wire so I can stuff everything inside without any problems

So, what is this all about? As you all know Sony Vaio Z, unlike TZ or TT, has only one 2.5" HDD/SDD fitting, and it is not possible to swap the optical drive with the HDD, as it is possible in TZ/TT. Sony allows two SSDs by sandwitching them together and connecting through a custom RAID cable, that does not seem to be available in service part listing

Luckily, I realized that the DVD drive is connected to the motherboard with "Slimline SATA" kind of connector, which is a new SATA standard that is to replace slim ATA connectors still being widely used in slim optical drives aimed for notebook market. Slimline SATA connector is 100% compatible with "desktop" SATA when it comes to the data lane. Power lane is different, but it has the same voltage - 5V (note: slimline sata DOES NOT have 3.3V - so most 1.8" drives will not work with this method!!!)

So, with some extra cabling and a bit of patching, it is actually possible to >convert< slimline SATA to a regular SATA connector! You can't just use same cable as one used to connect HDD/SDD to Motherboard, as it looks like - the motherboard connector pin out is different. So, the only way - as of today, is to create the "adaptor"

So, what do you need?

- One Slimline SATA male connector (one example: http://www.delock.com/produkte/grupp...ATA_84376.html)

- One SATA power to molex power cable (there are bunch of those available everywhere) - you can even use SATA power connector from some old desktop PC PSU - just cut it from the rest.

Now, you need to cut the molex connector of the SATA power cable, as well as molex connector from the Slimline SATA male connector. We do not need them Then, wire the same-colored wires together.

So, in essence you just got yourself "Slimline SATA to SATA" adapter

Which is just what I did - and for testing I connected it to Vaio Z's DVD connector and other side of the cable to original Toshiba HDD...

Well, here is the first result (not for looks, this is just proof of concept, for checking if the drive would work at all):

And, drive works!!! - now, all that needs to be done is to cut / shape the cables to make the whole thing small enough, and also to find spacing for the second SSD - which, with some luck, should be achievable by removing its casing and leaving the PCB only. This way, it might even fit on top of the optical drive that will not be used.

Perfect solution would be just throwing the DVD drive out... However, this might not work as the DVD door cannot stick without the DVD loading mechanism If only Sony would make a plastic fitting like they did with TZ...

Here is a picture of a device manager with the drive perfectly recognized (note that DVD drive category shown holds a virtual DVD drive from Daemon Tools):

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vaio_hdd2.jpg   hack1.jpg  

Notebook Deity

Default re: Vaio VGN-Z - Second Hard Drive (or SSD) - Working Solution

that is so awesome! Although I miss the point. do you want more storage or just two separate storage devices to back things up?
    Samsung Series 3, 11.6", i3, 8GB, Win 7 64, 128GB SSD
    Past: e4300, e6400, asus f3f.

Notebook Enthusiast

I am just wondering what the internals would look like on a Type Z if you made to order a model with the SSD RAID + DVD ROM.

From my understanding Type Z can only be HDD + Blu Ray OR SSD RAID + DVDROM

If you ordered SSD RAID + DVDROM on the Type Z doesnt that mean Sony needs a way to put 2 SSD drives and the DVDROM Drive as well?

*Shrugs*

Notebook Consultant

Sony stack 2 HD in the same position and use special cable to connect the HD one on each side.

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Punk View Post
    that is so awesome! Although I miss the point. do you want more storage or just two separate storage devices to back things up?
    Actually, I need two SSDs as one Samsung 64GB SLC is not enough for me

Anyway, I really do not need internal DVD drive in a notebook, and I really do not understand why Sony made the decision not to allow replacement of the DVD drive with HDD in Z, like they do allow in TZ/TT...

Goddess of Laptops

o m g.. my blondeness just hit sky rocket.. and I even forgot what I was going to say - o ya COMPLEX dude!!!!!! Lol but CooL!

now they have a 256gb SSD RAID 0 FYI (for people like me, cant figure out molex a from b)

Notebook Evangelist

Nah, it is a RAID of two MLC drives, and I am not a big fan of MLC drives

So - I'll stick to my SLCs which I got pretty cheap from e-bay hehe

Thanks,Psyq321..
    I made it.

Notebook Enthusiast

Hi, im interrested too, there are Intel 1.8" SSD 160GB... I want to connect 2 of them through a raid.... like sony does and use my blueray burner too...

Is there a way to get 2x 1.8" SSD working with Blueray Burner? How that make sony?

Cheers
    Sony VGN-Z90S, C2D T9600 2.8 GHz, 13.1 1600x900, switchable graphic (Intel 4500MHD x GeForce 9300M GS 256 MB), 4GB DDR3 RAM, 320GB HDD, Blu-Ray Read/Write Drive, English keyboard, Gothic Arabesque Premium Design, WinVista Ultimate X64
    PS: Im looking for anyone that can Soldering on a VaioZ a better Graphic Card! (They will become 300$)

Maiku Hama Yokohama

Quote Originally Posted by Ramalama View Post
    Hi, im interrested too, there are Intel 1.8" SSD 160GB... I want to connect 2 of them through a raid.... like sony does and use my blueray burner too...

Is there a way to get 2x 1.8" SSD working with Blueray Burner? How that make sony?

Cheers
    I believe you would have to get somewhere the Sony cabel to connect that SSDs in RAID0. Also the frame which is keeping the SSD/HDD on the place is different...

There shouldn't be problem with Blu-Ray burner, as with the Z's refresh it's possible to buy combination of SSD and Blu-Ray on the Sony webpage...
    Sony VGN-Z90US, C2D P9500 2.53 GHz, 13.1 1600x900, hybrid graphics (Intel 4500MHD x GeForce 9300M GS 256 MB), 8GB DDR3 RAM, 160GB Intel X25-M G2 SSD, Blu-Ray Read/Write Drive, Japanese keyboard, Gothic Arabesque Premium Design, Win8Pro x64
    Lenovo X1 Carbon

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast