Quantcast Vaio VGN-Z - Second Hard Drive (or SSD) - Working Solution - Page 4

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Notebook Consultant

Default re: Vaio VGN-Z - Second Hard Drive (or SSD) - Working Solution

i bought the wrong cable, it was the female version, arg

Upon looking at it now, all the cables i can find have only (2) wires coming from the power. The RED and BLACK
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812200219
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    (even though this shows many colors in picture, its actually only red and black, read review)

does this matter? or should i continue looking for one with all the cords?

I am unable to find anywhere in the USA you can purchase the DELOC cord. The other STARTECH cord i found only has the two (red/black) power cords. This is the only one i can find in the usa.

some help would be greatly appreciated, i really dont want to buy the wrong cord again.
    Last edited by cenkaetaya; 28th September 2009 at 05:59 PM.
    Clevo w230st i7-4702mq - 8 gig - 256 Crucial M5 ssd + 750 gig drive. Vaio Pro 11(Returned) now have Pro 13 - i5 - 4 gigs of ram - 128gig ssd Lenovo W530 - I7 - 12 gigs of ram - Nvidia Quadro K2000 - Crucial M4 128gig SSD+640gig HDD VAIO VPC-Z1 - i5 cpu (nearly worn out CPU fan)(broken screen) - 4 gigs of ram - Geforce 330m - 128gig SSD - +320gig HDD ( in DVD bay ) VAIO VGN-Z530n - 2.4 dual core - 3 gigs of ram - 9300m / 4500GMA - 250gig HDD +140 gig HDD ( in DVD bay )

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by cenkaetaya View Post
    i bought the wrong cable, it was the female version, arg

Upon looking at it now, all the cables i can find have only (2) wires coming from the power. The RED and BLACK
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812200219
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    (even though this shows many colors in picture, its actually only red and black, read review)

does this matter? or should i continue looking for one with all the cords?

I am unable to find anywhere in the USA you can purchase the DELOC cord. The other STARTECH cord i found only has the two (red/black) power cords. This is the only one i can find in the usa.

some help would be greatly appreciated, i really dont want to buy the wrong cord again.
    Hi, i think it doesn't really matter if there is only black and red power cable present. the Slimlinesata only uses a 5v for its power which is the black and red cable. The other black and yellow/orange (which is not present in the slimeline sata to sata converter cable in the startech one), is for a 12v power setting (yellow) and 3.3V (orange) ~CMIIW~, so it doesn't quite matter. For reference on SATA cables tech you can look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA it has a good information on sata cable.

btw here is my setting for the second hard drive:

I'm using a slimlinesata to Sata converter that i get from a 9.5 mm hard drive drive caddy (purchase it on newmodeusa). At first i want to use the wiring set-up but after a long thought i don't like how the wire loom around the internal of my notebook and decided to use a converter board instead the hard drive i'm using is samsung 320GB SATA with 8mb of cache.
    Last edited by agathos; 29th September 2009 at 07:41 AM.
    [SIZE="1"]Current Notebook: (1) Sony Vaio Z570N Kingston V Series 128GB SSD, Novatel Expedite 850D Embedded Module with SIM, Intel P9500 2,56ghz, 4GB ram, 32 GB Toshiba SDHC, 16Gb Lexar Express Card, Win Vista 32bit, 1366x768; (2) Sony Vaio X112; (3) Sony Vaio TT190N 128GB SSMD, 4GB Ram, WWAN, win 7 ultimate

Notebook Enthusiast

I was looking forward to pulling this trick on my SZ to add an SSD to my setup, but found that my Optical Drive is actually ATAPI, which kind of blows. Any idea if a SlimATAPI => SATA setup is possible?

Notebook Consultant

hey guys i posted a video of my 2nd Vaio-Z hard drive

check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bz2k2...layer_embedded
    Clevo w230st i7-4702mq - 8 gig - 256 Crucial M5 ssd + 750 gig drive. Vaio Pro 11(Returned) now have Pro 13 - i5 - 4 gigs of ram - 128gig ssd Lenovo W530 - I7 - 12 gigs of ram - Nvidia Quadro K2000 - Crucial M4 128gig SSD+640gig HDD VAIO VPC-Z1 - i5 cpu (nearly worn out CPU fan)(broken screen) - 4 gigs of ram - Geforce 330m - 128gig SSD - +320gig HDD ( in DVD bay ) VAIO VGN-Z530n - 2.4 dual core - 3 gigs of ram - 9300m / 4500GMA - 250gig HDD +140 gig HDD ( in DVD bay )

Notebook Enthusiast

does the hard drive you added ever stop spinning?
    doesn't it suck a lot of power?
    is there a way to turn it off?

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by yehob View Post
    does the hard drive you added ever stop spinning?
    doesn't it suck a lot of power?
    is there a way to turn it off?
    I did this mode using aftermarket HD caddy that was made to fit into 9.5 mm optical drive slot:
    http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/Hard-drive-Ca...c0.m14&afsrc=1
    No need to mess with wires and it fits and covers opening on the side pretty good. I put SSD in the caddy and it's my boot drive. No vibration from SSD. HD is still where it was before with rubber bumpers protecting from vibration. I'm sure u can turn it off by disabling. No issues except that installation was a bit tricky since it was hard to open the laptop and u have to be carefull with keyboard flex cable. Battery life is still great.
    I ordered external Blu-ray drive and will use it on rare ocasion that I need to burn a DVD or watch a movie from optical media. Since I use laptop on my laps I prefer not to have vibrating optical drive inside the laptop.
    Last edited by HDTV4me; 26th June 2010 at 02:24 PM.

Notebook Enthusiast

Default Re: Vaio VGN-Z - Second Hard Drive (or SSD) - Working Solution

is a 7200rpm drive officially compatible with the Z590?

Maiku Hama Yokohama

The 1st gen Z was officially sold with both 5400 and 7200 rpm. But you are not officially allowed to change the HDD by yourself
    Sony VGN-Z90US, C2D P9500 2.53 GHz, 13.1 1600x900, hybrid graphics (Intel 4500MHD x GeForce 9300M GS 256 MB), 8GB DDR3 RAM, 160GB Intel X25-M G2 SSD, Blu-Ray Read/Write Drive, Japanese keyboard, Gothic Arabesque Premium Design, Win8Pro x64
    Lenovo X1 Carbon

Notebook Geek

I know this thread is a little old but check this out - I think it is the answer to my prayers!!! :-D

Optical Bay Hard Drive Caddy (OBHD9-SATA-B), Black, 9.5mm [OBHD9-SATA-B] - $42.00 : NewmodeUS, Hard Drive Caddys for Notebooks

Optical Bay Hard Drive Caddy (OBHD9-SATA-B), Black, 9.5mm
    $42.00
    Add a Second Hard Drive to your laptop using your laptop's optical drive bay. This is a great solution for those that want to add a second hard drive in their laptop. This device/caddy will fit in a "standard 9.5mm height" CD/DVD/Optical drive bay found in laptop computers. Simply pull out your CD/DVD drive and replace it with our OBHD Optical Bay Hard Drive caddy. This is a really sharp-looking well-engineered product. The front faceplate is finished in black. The metal bracket is finished in a nice silver sheen. Please note that this hard drive caddy will fit "standard"/"universal" CD/DVD/Optical Drive bays.

Quote Originally Posted by gusf1 View Post
    I know this thread is a little old but check this out - I think it is the answer to my prayers!!! :-D

Optical Bay Hard Drive Caddy (OBHD9-SATA-B), Black, 9.5mm [OBHD9-SATA-B] - $42.00 : NewmodeUS, Hard Drive Caddys for Notebooks

Optical Bay Hard Drive Caddy (OBHD9-SATA-B), Black, 9.5mm
    $42.00
    Add a Second Hard Drive to your laptop using your laptop's optical drive bay. This is a great solution for those that want to add a second hard drive in their laptop. This device/caddy will fit in a "standard 9.5mm height" CD/DVD/Optical drive bay found in laptop computers. Simply pull out your CD/DVD drive and replace it with our OBHD Optical Bay Hard Drive caddy. This is a really sharp-looking well-engineered product. The front faceplate is finished in black. The metal bracket is finished in a nice silver sheen. Please note that this hard drive caddy will fit "standard"/"universal" CD/DVD/Optical Drive bays.
    Does anyone know if this works with the sony vaio VPCZ122GX model?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast