Quantcast Vaio Z: Sleep Mode on Lid Closing (Failure)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Notebook Consultant

Default Vaio Z: Sleep Mode on Lid Closing (Failure)

I have my Z set to go to sleep when I close my lid. It usually does that, except there are times when it doesn't. Today, I closed the lid, put my Z in its Vaio neoprone sleeve, and then put the whole thing in my case as I left my apartment. After an hour or so later, I took out my laptop, and found out that not only was it still on, but it was superheated due to the accumulation of heat from not having turned off. The sleeve and the case simply insulated the laptop, preventing the heat from escaping the confine of the sleeve.

Well, when I opened my lid, the part of the screen closest to the fan (bottom left corner) was completely dark due to the screen being heated beyond its threshold. Rest of the screen was fine. As the laptop started cooling, that darkness/blackness slowly started to fade until it disappeared. But the laptop stayed quite warm/hot for a while, as it cooled off. The entire aluminum piece where the keyboard is was very warm. So was the carbon fiber case (top and bottom).

The laptop not going to sleep mode when I close my lid has happened couple times to me before, but not until now has it made such a huge negative impact.

Has anybody encountered this phenomenon? Now I think the left portion of my screen is slightly dimmer than the right. You can't really tell just by glancing at it, but if you look for it, you can see the slight dimness.

I don't think I can use my accidental warranty as I am sure the technician will not be able to find or notice this dimness. But man, it will bug me now as another flaw on my laptop (along with the Express PC card cover not flushing nicely due to bad spring or something).

But at the least, I need to make sure this doesn't happen again. Anybody encounter this problem and know of a solution? Why even if my settings are to go to sleep on closing the lid, that the laptop doesn't?

Default Re: Vaio Z: Sleep Mode on Lid Closing (Failure)

I have the same problem, my Z won't go to sleep when I closed the lid (I've changed the configuration in the control panel.)

Notebook Consultant

I don't think we have the same problem. My Z is configured to go to sleep upon the lid closing. I have this setting defined through Vaio Control Center. Problem is, sometimes, it freezes or something happens that prevents it from going to either sleep or hibernate. Even if my lid wasn't closed, the computer should've gone to sleep/hibernate mode within 5-10 minutes when it is on battery. It never did. It just remained turned on the whole hour or so.

I just called Vaio support and they're having me send my laptop to San Diego for possible repair. I don't know if the guy will even be able to notice the dimness. Any one have any experience with the San Diego repair center? Positive negative?

Notebook Consultant

i think he does have the same problem... i'm assuming he originally had it set to sleep when the screen closed, but it wouldn't sleep, so he changed the settings.
    Sony VAIO VGN-Z550NB /// Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 Processor 2.40GHz, 3GB DDR3 SDRAM, 250GB 5400RPM HD, NVIDIA GeForce 9300M GPU 128MB, 13.1 inch XBRITE-DuraView LCD 1366 x 768

Dell Latitude D610 /// Intel Pentium M 1.86 GHz, 2GB DDR SDRAM, 40GB 5400RPM HD, Tank-like construction (and weight)

Notebook Enthusiast

I am having a simlar problem, and also have my computer turn itself back on after I have put it into hibernation. I don't use sleep mode, so I have mine set to hibernate when I either close the lid, or push the power button. I thought I wasn't doing something right, but now that I keep having this little mystery where I open up my computer and it's already on (and very warm), I am closely paying attention that I am watching the computer hibernate.

I'm just getting ready to call up Sony, but thought I would search here to see if this was something that was being experienced by others with respect to sleep mode, not going to sleep, etc. It appears so...

Notebook Deity

to the OP. I don't understand why you didn't turn it off right away when you found out it was hot. that's the best way of cooling it off quickly.

I am not sure if it's an hardware problem. to me it seems more on the SW side, but again, I don't know what component is in charge of sending the notification when the lid closes.
    Samsung Series 3, 11.6", i3, 8GB, Win 7 64, 128GB SSD
    Past: e4300, e6400, asus f3f.

Notebook Consultant

might be wishful thinking, but do you think bios update could remedy this problem?
    Sony VAIO VGN-Z550NB /// Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 Processor 2.40GHz, 3GB DDR3 SDRAM, 250GB 5400RPM HD, NVIDIA GeForce 9300M GPU 128MB, 13.1 inch XBRITE-DuraView LCD 1366 x 768

Dell Latitude D610 /// Intel Pentium M 1.86 GHz, 2GB DDR SDRAM, 40GB 5400RPM HD, Tank-like construction (and weight)

Notebook Consultant

I don't think this is the machine's problem. It's more like windows' problem. Did your sony come with original software installed or you did performed some to optimize the software? if you did then that's prob the cause of the problem.

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Takashi View Post
    might be wishful thinking, but do you think bios update could remedy this problem?

are you talking to me?

in any case. I think that's the first place I would look if this is not an hardware failure. bios is the first bridge from HW to the OS
    Samsung Series 3, 11.6", i3, 8GB, Win 7 64, 128GB SSD
    Past: e4300, e6400, asus f3f.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Punk View Post
    are you talking to me?

in any case. I think that's the first place I would look if this is not an hardware failure. bios is the first bridge from HW to the OS
    no, i was just saying that in response to OP's problem, perhaps the bios update would fix it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast