First, I am not sure if this issue is only present on my FZ190 or if it appears on other models so I am transcribing a portion of a thread Storm and I have been discussing in an FZ only context. I want to see if OTHER folks are experiencing the same issue.

Pardon the length of this initial message but I want to be sure the entire history of the question is apparent. I have edited out some of the back and forth from the conversation to make this as brief as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by ScuderiaConchiglia View Post
My temp1 and temp2 were at 51C last night. I have no idea why they got so high. This morning they are at 30C. I wish I knew for sure what these two temps are. What was odd was the two core temps were at 30C the whole time???

Gary
Quote Originally Posted by Storm3016 View Post
Wow, 51 is the highest temp i saw on mine ever, but if remember correctly you have a more powerful FZ then me so it isn't strange it would get a little warmer.

I seem to get the highest temps on memory and hdd when Vista is updating itself, or when it is creating the restore files to be more precise. I'm usually also doing some downloading (p2p) and doing some internet browsing or using photoshop/word/excel at the same time or occasionally play a game.
The reason your cpu's stay cooler then the ram-banks is quit logic i think, the cpu has a fan

Did the temp1 and 2 go down over night with your machine turned on or off btw?
Yes and all four temps have been at 30C all day... Really ODD!

Gary
Sorry that was a bit obtuse wasn't it. I meant it was odd that Friday I had temps of 51C on temp1 and temp2 and then after being off overnight they dropped to 30 and stayed at 30 despite a near identical work load on Friday and Saturday.

I am going to track this for a while. 51C scares me a bit. Especially at 76F ambient.

Gary
Quote Originally Posted by Storm3016 View Post
Ah, got it, i that ODD was short for something perhaps, lol

Yeah, i thought 51 was a bit high to for the RAM banks myself. Although it might be a more or less normal temp for a gaming desktop computer. I'm not sure what the recommended temps for the RAM is though.
I've been monitoring these temps for a few weeks now and the temps only get this high when Vista updates itself. Even when i stress the cpu for a few hours taking benchmarks or working several heavy tasks at the same time don't get the temps up over 37 degrees Celsius.
I don't think the problem is 51 Celsius if it was just for a brief moment, but the problem lies more in the fact that they don't cool down until you turn of the notebook. I'm afraid that this high temperature would shorten the life of the memory considerable.
The lack of airflow in the RAM compartment doesn't help of much of course. I tried if opening the lid of the RAM compartment would help to get the temps down, but that wasn't the case. I did consider putting some cooling paste on the RAM chips or a small fan maybe, or find a way to direct (part of) the cpu's airflow to the RAM, would you have any thoughts on that perhaps?
Now I am even more confused. I was running at a steady 30C on temp 1 and temp 2 for two days. I mean STEADY, flat line no dips no spikes NOTHING. Then I burned an ISO to investigate the VT bit in the bios (see the virtualization threads for more). After that I ran the test and rebooted. The temps for temp1 and temps 2 were 52C. We are talking no more than 2 minutes after they were showing as 30c. They stayed that way for ten minutes at which point I shut down and let it set for 15 minutes. They both dropped to 40C. But they stayed like that for about an hour. Again totally a flat line. Then I needed to run the VT diagnostic again. So I booted to the cd with the ISO I'd burned noted the text from the diagnostic and rebooted to Vista. Now both were at 52C again. The diagnostic ran for all of 20 seconds, before I booted back to Vista. There is no way the temps rose that much that quick.

Something very strange is going on here. Does anyone know for sure what Temp1 and Temp 2 are REALLY measuring. We are assuming RAM, but do we KNOW that? And why would they stay in such a steady state all the time with no variance? (BTW the entire time the two core temps were 30-35C with a lot of up and down in the graphs, as expected.)

Gary
Just an update on the temp1 and temp2 mystery. I hibernated my FZ190 as I left work today. 2 hours latter I started it up at home. Speedfan was still reporting temp1 and temp2 at 52C. I knew full well that was impossible after the machine was off for two hours. (Full hibernate NOT sleep.) So I rebooted and instantly temp1 and temp2 are at 42C. It appears that temp1 and temp2 are never really being updated or Speedfan doesn't know how to retrieve updated values.

Has anyone seen any variation in temp1 and temp2 at anytime OTHER than a reboot?

This is very strange.

Gary
Subsequent to last night's message I have done some further investigation. I have found that the temp1 and temp2 settings do change upon a reboot but NEVER change after that. I've verified this with SpeedFan and the Intel Thermal Analysis tool (which BTW only reports ONE ACPI Temp... i.e. Temp1).

I let the machine sit overnight in a hibernated state. (Not sleep.) Upon restart the temp1 showed 42c. I rebooted and it was immediately 32c. I used it for a couple of hours. The entire time it read 32c. I rebooted and it was 46C. So again, this number is only being updated at boot time for some odd reason. SpeedFan and Intel TAT both show the same number for this ( they differ of course on the core numbers but I understand why that is, its a know discrepancy in how the two tools calculate the temp.)

So my rel question is this do ANY of you EVER see temp1 and temp2 change while the machine is running? SpeedFan has a nice chart capability that makes examining this very simple.

Thanks,

Gary