Quantcast How to Install Sony VAIO SZ Drivers and Utilities on a Clean Windows XP Pro OS

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast
    Notebook Evangelist

Default How to Install Sony VAIO SZ Drivers and Utilities on a Clean Windows XP Pro OS

How to Install Sony VAIO SZ Drivers and Utilities on a Clean 32-Bit Windows XP Pro SP2-Integrated OS

If you need more help than what's provided here, watch this video before you begin, but use the updated links below rather than what's used in the video. Use Universal Extractor on Sony's installer packages (executables ending in -US/-UN/-XP), since it's always better to have full control of the installation process by running the actual setup wizard.

The first thing to install is the latest Intel chipset driver/INF Update Utility: Napa (Refresh) (info) / Santa Rosa (info). Problems with the Santa Rosa SZ6/SZ7's brightness control, sleep or SATA/IDE controller can be solved by updating the BIOS to R0122S5 (the latest Napa & Napa Refresh SZ1-SZ4 R0112N0 BIOS can be downloaded here). And if you're using AHCI, install the Intel Matrix Storage Manager AHCI drivers, preferably by slipstreaming them in your Windows installation disc with nLite.

Drivers

These are compatible with any SZ version and can be installed in any order.

ALPS Touchpad - v5.5.1302.12. This version has the option to disable the touchpad when a USB mouse is inserted. Note: If your touchpad is a Synaptics model (check the hardware ID and Google the Vendor ID), download the latest XP driver here.
    SONY NOTEBOOK CONTROL (FIRMWARE EXTENSION PARSER) - v7.0.0.5 - Uniextract to get the drivers.
    SONY PROGRAMMABLE IO - v7.0.4.229 - Uniextract to get the drivers. Choose this option when installing this in Device Manager, then click the Have Disk... button and select the driver's inf file.
    Bluetooth - Use this WIDCOMM stack if you have an Alps device with a Cambridge Silicon Radio chipset (on SZ1-SZ6 models). The installation steps are shown in the video. Be sure to rename the bt*.inf files in %windir%\inf and modify the inf to include your BT hardware ID before installing. If you have an Alps device with a Broadcom chipset (on SZ7 or later models), download the latest bluetooth stack here or here.
    nVidia GFX - Latest LaptopVideo2Go driver with modified inf under SPEED mode. (I understand this hasn't been updated in a while, but you may still retain the brightness controls with updated video drivers by installing this first then updating with the latest recommended LaptopVideo2Go 32-bit XP driver. Do not clear the registry entries in between installations, however.)
    Intel GFX - Use the latest GMA driver from Intel under STAMINA mode. Napa GMA 950 link or Santa Rosa GMA X3100 link
    Camera - Ignore the inf edit shown in the video -- it won't work. Instead, find your camera model in this collection and make sure the hardware IDs match (shown in Device Manager).
    Memory Card Reader - v2.0.0.18
    Memory Card Icon Fix - link
    Intel WLAN - link
    Marvell Yukon Ethernet LAN - link
    Infineon TPM - v2.0.0.0
    UPEK Fingerprint Reader - link
    Conexant 56K Modem - v7.62.00 - Do not install from the Device Manager; run the setup wizard.
    Audio - MS UAA driver must be installed before the audio driver is installed. If you have a Sigmatel device (check the hardware ID and Google the Vendor ID), download and install this driver. If you have a Realtek device, download and install the latest driver here. Do not install either audio driver from the Device Manager; run their respective setup wizard.

Utilities

These must be installed in a certain order for the Fn hotkeys and S buttons to work properly.

Download Sony Notebook Utilities v1.0 and use Universal Extractor to extract all the sub-utilities packaged in it. I don't recommend running Sony Notebook Utilities v1.0 directly; instead, only install the sub-utilities that are needed after you have extracted them, which are listed below. They each have their own setup wizard.

Necessary utilities inside Sony Notebook Utilities:

SNYUTILS (Sony Utilities DLL)
    SUS (Setting Utility Series)
    VES (VAIO Event Service) - Use this version for Napa SZs
    VPM (VAIO Power Management) (temporarily stop VAIO Event Service in WinKey+R -> services.msc before installing/uninstalling) - Use this version for Napa SZs

Optional, but recommended, utilities also contained in Sony Notebook Utilities:
    VCCU (VAIO Camera Capture Utility) - Use the updated version, v2.7.03.09250, contained in this package after extracting with Universal Extractor.
    WSSU (Wireless Switch Setting Utility) (only if you choose not to use SmartWi)

The order in which you should install the utilities is similar to what's in the video:

1. SNYUTILS (Sony Utilities DLL)
    2. Sony Shared Library XP
    3. RESTART AFTER INSTALLING SONY SHARED LIBRARY
    4. SUS (Setting Utility Series)
    5. VES (VAIO Event Service) - Use this version for Napa SZs

The rest of the utilities can be installed in any order.

Other recommended utilities:

VAIO HDD Protection (temporarily stop VAIO Event Service in WinKey+R -> services.msc before installing/uninstalling) - link
    VAIO Central/VAIO Control Center - link
    VAIO Battery Care (not tested; compatible with SZ6 or later models only) - link
    Protector Suite QL v5.8.2 - link
    SmartWi XP (adds Fn+F1 WLAN/WWAN/BT toggle; temporarily stop VAIO Event Service in WinKey+R -> services.msc before installing/uninstalling):
    v1.2.0.020706 for SZ1-SZ3
    v1.3.0.052506 for UX1/UX2
    v3.0.0.082706 (RC2-GM) for SZ4/TXN2
    v3.2.0.113007 for SZ6/SZ7/TZ1/TZ2

Some of these may not work on your model. Try all four to see which works best for you. Use Universal Extractor to bypass the model checker, if one exists.

Important Hotfixes and Updates

-KB896256: Computers that are running Windows XP Service Pack 2 and that are equipped with multiple processors that support processor power management features may experience decreased performance [Download]
    -KB909667: A Windows XP-based computer stops responding during standby or hibernation operations or when you try to use the Shut Down command [Download: Search for 'KB909667' and register to download]
    -KB936929: Windows XP SP3 Standalone Update [Download]
    Last edited by bogart; 28th February 2010 at 03:21 PM. Reason: revision

Default Re: How to Install Sony VAIO SZ Drivers and Utilities on a Clean Windows XP Pro OS

Can Any One Help!!!
    I bought a VAIO SZ240P recently and starting having problems with the ALPSs ynaptics touch pad. When the system goes into standby, and is restarted swping your had over the touchpad and trying to move the cursor moves in the opposite direction!!!! Has anyone had a problem with that. I've been onto Sony's site but there is no upgrade for the driver. Can somone direct me to a proper driver to use????
    I have read some other post that there is a Toshiba driver which is compatable and I installed yeterrday but that still has not fixed the problem. I have also reinstalled alll programs etc but that still has not fixed the problem.

HELP!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Nickkky; 7th July 2007 at 03:08 AM. Reason: corrections

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: How to Install Sony VAIO SZ Drivers and Utilities on a Clean Windows XP Pro OS

Quote Originally Posted by Nickkky View Post
    Can Any One Help!!!
    I bought a VAIO SZ240P recently and starting having problems with the ALPSs ynaptics touch pad. When the system goes into standby, and is restarted swping your had over the touchpad and trying to move the cursor moves in the opposite direction!!!! Has anyone had a problem with that. I've been onto Sony's site but there is no upgrade for the driver. Can somone direct me to a proper driver to use????
    I have read some other post that there is a Toshiba driver which is compatable and I installed yeterrday but that still has not fixed the problem. I have also reinstalled alll programs etc but that still has not fixed the problem.

HELP!!!!!!!!
    Press WinKey+R then type main.cpl. Go to the orientation tab and make sure that it's set at default.

Last edited by bogart; 8th April 2008 at 08:29 PM.

The both dont work. I tried downloading the driver but its for vista. I'm using XP pro.
    Anyways more ideas? The command when initiated opens the preferences for the mouse, not the ALPS controller.
    I'm all lost for now..

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by Nickkky View Post
    The both dont work. I tried downloading the driver but its for vista. I'm using XP pro.
    Anyways more ideas? The command when initiated opens the preferences for the mouse, not the ALPS controller.
    I'm all lost for now..
    If you are using Windows XP, try this driver: http://tinyurl.com/36s6fg . You'll probably get a " Error: 403 (Request Forbidden)." error, but just press enter in the address area and the download will start. And if you'd like to update your BIOS, try one of these latest updates:

R0094N0
    R0096N0
    R0112N0
    Last edited by bogart; 8th July 2007 at 01:17 PM.

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by bogart View Post
    If you are using Windows XP, try this driver: http://tinyurl.com/36s6fg . You'll probably get a " Error: 403 (Request Forbidden)." error, but just press enter in the address area and the download will start. And if you'd like to update your BIOS, try one of these latest updates:

R0094N0
    R0096N0
    R0112N0
    can i apply those bios updates to a SZ2?

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by das_ubersoldat View Post
    can i apply those bios updates to a SZ2?
    Yes, if any update is not compatible with your SZ, it will notify you and cancel the installation.

Notebook Enthusiast

thanks a lot. it's weird that they are posting the updates on the product support pages.

do you know if there's a change log available anywhere?

It is interesting that Sony now have a 'downgrade' folder on their FTP site apparently for business users who want to downgrade from Vista to XP. See ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/pub/OS/XPDOWNGRADE/

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by dkleeman View Post
    It is interesting that Sony now have a 'downgrade' folder on their FTP site apparently for business users who want to downgrade from Vista to XP. See ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/pub/OS/XPDOWNGRADE/
    Yes, I'm not sure why they decided to put the SZ downgrade files in a temporary directory, though.

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast