Quantcast Vaio Duo 11 Owners Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 106 123451151101 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Vaio Duo 11 Owners Thread

Notebook Deity

Default Vaio Duo 11 Owners Thread

Not an owner yet, but I will be soonish! I'll try to maintain the first post the thread for the current owners.

VAIO SVZ13 i7 3612QM-8GB-256GB-1080P

VAIO Z11 i5 540m/Intel 320 160gb/DVDRW/8gb ddr3

Notebook Deity

Default Re: Vaio Duo 11 Owners Thread

Continuing the conversation here:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeniczek View Post
    Thanks for reply.

Thats a great news. Everyone can save a lot buyin Duo jus twith 128GB SSD and then replacing it with drive like ADATA SX300 XPG 256GB. There is no special connector for mSATA available As far as I know, so thats superb

The 128gb to 256gb upgrade on Sony costs $170 on the USA site, so not sure how you'd be saving any money since most 256gb msata drives cost north of $200. Of course, a better reason to replace it would be for performance reasons. Someone here should run some benchmarks on the drive and see what you're getting. Compare it to a mainstream drive like the msata M4 and see if it would be worth while. Toshiba drives are not sought after for performance reasons....... but they have gotten better as of late compared to their earlier drives.

CT256M4SSD3 - 256GB, mSATA Solid State Drive , from Crucial.com

Crucial m4 mSATA 256GB SSD Review > Benchmarks: CrystalDiskMark 3.0 - TechSpot Reviews
    Crucial m4 256GB mSATA SSD: Performance

Notebook Enthusiast

What program/benchmark do you want me to run on it? Ill do it.

Notebook Deity

While not the best, the most commonly used are CrystalDiskMark and AS SSD. You can easily find benchmarks of those two with most any SSD out there so you can see how the Toshiba drive compares to Crucial/Intel/Samsung's msata drives. I'm going to guess it won't be to Toshiba's favor based on prior history, but don't get me wrong, ever modern SSD is stupidly fast compared to HDD's so nothing to worry about in that respect, just know that things could be better! Sony has used Toshiba drives in the past with the Z series, but they also heavily used Samsung as well depending on the revision of Z, I personally wish they would have gone with Samsung again in the Duo 11.

I wonder how easy it would be to replace it. Anyone brave enough to crack their baby open and see how accessible the drive is?

Notebook Enthusiast

Just ran crystal mark.

Sequential Read: 441mbs
    Sequential Write: 243mbs
    Random 512k Read: 300mbs
    Random 512k Write: 249mbs
    Random 4k Read: 18.9mbs
    Random 4k Write: 40.2mbs
    Random 4k QD32 Read: 130mbs
    Random 4k QD32 Write: 228.7mbs

On an unrelated note - don't try to recalibrate the touchscreen. I tried doing that with the hopes that the random freezes would disappear, and I think I inadvertently made it so that the charms bar wouldn't appear. Everything else worked, top bar, recent apps bar, bottom bar, and the entire screen recognized touch input at the time, including near where the charms bar was supposed to be. Every time I tried to actually load the charms bar, it wouldn't recognize the swipe. Windows Key + C still brought it up, so the bar itself wasn't disabled, just the swiping mechanism for it. I ended up doing a system restore to an earlier point and it fixed it.

It feels awful and kind of neat to be with this product in its infancy. Windows 8, touchpad displays, and this slider specifically are very new, so its natural that there will be some issues. I wish it was easier to find individual drivers and such for it though. Seems like every time I try and enter the model number into sony online support, it tells me device not found.
    Last edited by xerotheory; 2nd November 2012 at 06:14 PM.

Notebook Evangelist

I'm seriously temped by this convertible.

If the Ram upgradeable and is the SSD either a slim 7mm SSD or a mSATA (not a propriety one)

Even better if you can take pictures of the underside with the case off.

Having tried one out, it seems the num is pretty much pointless and it seems the swiping titles has been over dampened, possible to confirm? Both won't make much difference, I'd just like to know before I go all out.

Also, if possible to double check the memory inside (if upgradeable) is DDR3L (Low Voltage) and the model number inside
    Last edited by CoolHotCold; 2nd November 2012 at 07:36 PM.
    Working with Technology for a livin!

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by xerotheory View Post
    Just ran crystal mark.

Sequential Read: 441mbs
    Sequential Write: 243mbs
    Random 512k Read: 300mbs
    Random 512k Write: 249mbs
    Random 4k Read: 18.9mbs
    Random 4k Write: 40.2mbs
    Random 4k QD32 Read: 130mbs
    Random 4k QD32 Write: 228.7mbs

On an unrelated note - don't try to recalibrate the touchscreen. I tried doing that with the hopes that the random freezes would disappear, and I think I inadvertently made it so that the charms bar wouldn't appear. Everything else worked, top bar, recent apps bar, bottom bar, and the entire screen recognized touch input at the time, including near where the charms bar was supposed to be. Every time I tried to actually load the charms bar, it wouldn't recognize the swipe. Windows Key + C still brought it up, so the bar itself wasn't disabled, just the swiping mechanism for it. I ended up doing a system restore to an earlier point and it fixed it.

It feels awful and kind of neat to be with this product in its infancy. Windows 8, touchpad displays, and this slider specifically are very new, so its natural that there will be some issues. I wish it was easier to find individual drivers and such for it though. Seems like every time I try and enter the model number into sony online support, it tells me device not found.

I stand corrected, those are great numbers for a msata, Toshiba seems to have improved their controllers! Performance won't be a reason to swap the drive. Maybe in the future when 512gb msata drives are out and priced sanely.

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by CoolHotCold View Post
    I'm seriously temped by this convertible.

If the Ram upgradeable and is the SSD either a slim 7mm SSD or a mSATA (not a propriety one)

Even better if you can take pictures of the underside with the case off.

Having tried one out, it seems the num is pretty much pointless and it seems the swiping titles has been over dampened, possible to confirm? Both won't make much difference, I'd just like to know before I go all out.

Also, if possible to double check the memory inside (if upgradeable) is DDR3L (Low Voltage) and the model number inside
    What do you mean about num and titles? Can you reclarify please?

Notebook Evangelist

Gah, stupid autocorrect.

The nub as a replacement as a trackpad, and the titles are the windows live tiles.
    Working with Technology for a livin!

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by CoolHotCold View Post
    Gah, stupid autocorrect.

The nub as a replacement as a trackpad, and the titles are the windows live tiles.
    Yeah the nub is pretty bad. I havnt really found a use for it outside of when the screen freezes, but I tried it out and its just too meh, takes too many swipes to get the cursor across. I don't have much experience using them in general to comment on how it compares to other manufacturers.

Im not sure what you mean by tiles being dampened. Granted its a different mechanical control, but the tiles don't seem to move any differently than on my desktop non touch.

Page 1 of 106 123451151101 ... LastLast