Quantcast Sony SE Owners' Thread - Page 106

+ Reply to Thread
Page 106 of 207 FirstFirst ... 65696102103104105106107108109110116156206 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,060 of 2061
    Notebook Geek

Default Re: Sony SE Owners' Thread

Quote Originally Posted by CompUG View Post
    Hi, I ordered an HP ENVY 15 with the IPS screen and have heard that Sony SE has a similar issue because they use the same panel. How did Sony handle this issue? How did you guys fix it?
    Which issue?

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by leggy View Post
    Which issue?
    The screen doesn't show the color red? It shows orange instead

Notebook Consultant

I could be mistaken but I don't think it is something you can fix.

I think the colour/red discussion starts at this post.

Sony SE Owners' Thread

It shows up for a few more pages but maybe you'll find a more concrete answer.

Quote Originally Posted by moralar View Post
    I didn't find a one-click method for disabling Vaio Care. I had to delete/disable all the Vaio Care entries in both msconfig and Task Scheduler. Also, I had to go into the Services control panel applet and disable VCService and Vaio Care Performance Service. This will stop it from autorunning, but keeps the program around if I ever decide that I need it for something.

If you want to uninstall Vaio Care entirely, you can use the Vaio Uninstaller (located in \Program Files (x86)\Sony\VAIO Uninstaller).
    @ moralar

thx. i did just that now and the system works considerably more smoothly.

@ all SSD OWNERS

i am thinking now of buying an ssd. it will either be 256 gb or 512 gb.
    now i have to questions:

1. IF i go with the 512 gb version: how long would the life-span of an ssd roughly be under normal to intense usage?

2. i am thinking of getting the crucial m4 OR the samsung 830. now i know that many people in this thread own the m4 and some own the 830. do you have any experience (goog or bad) with the respective ssd's that i should know about in advane?
    such as...
    - does the size even match the storage slot in my vaio?
    - how annoying is that noise several owners talked about earlier in this thread?
    - is it easy to flash the firmwares onto the ssd's?
    - do i need to change windows 7 settings before and/or after installing the ssd? (e.g. defrag-settings and such...)
    - in germany both ssd's are about the same price. so: would you go with the crucial m4 or the samsung 830 if you had the choice?

thanks in advance!

Notebook Enthusiast

Hi,

So for the noise, it is really not bothering at all. It did bother me once, at 6h00 in the morning after 20 hours of work, nearly straight...

As long as you have a 2,5" inch SSD it will fit in the slot.

There is, to my knowledge no need of changing Win7 settings for the SSD.

For the life span and the firmware flash, I do not know.

I went for the Samsung 830, as I read multiple posts on the web, saying that crucial does have some firmware issues...

Notebook Consultant

Hi all,

I have used the SE in the store and have had the Envy 15 2011 for a few weeks now. I have a hard time deciding if I want to jump boat to the Sony Se. Main reason for getting th SE is for the matte screen. Anyone here owns both, please share your thoughts and opionions. I use it mainly for gaming and some coding on it when I dont few like working in the office.

Thanks.
    Currently in use: T400, T410, T410s, x220, Dv6t A8, P150hm (6970m), Macbook Pro 15 2007, 2011, Macbook Pro 13 2009, Envy 15 2011.

Been working with my VPCSE190x for a few days now. I have everything the way i want it except...

Dual monitor display not working. Kind of. The laptop is in a docking station that has 2 ports - 1vga and 1hdmi. I have 2 monitors hooked up and the mobo and gpu can see them both, but i cannot extend the desktop to both.

The only combination it allows me is the laptop lcd and ONE of the TWO connected external displays. What is wrong?

My old Dell Precision M90 was hooked up to a docking station with an NVIDIA and the dual external worked just fine.

Notebook Enthusiast

Im looking for a 4gb ram to put in for my beautiful black SE. Can i just buy any type or is there a special type i have to look for?

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by rkdwlsdn View Post
    Im looking for a 4gb ram to put in for my beautiful black SE. Can i just buy any type or is there a special type i have to look for?
    You must buy a SODIMM (For notebooks), any reputable brand (but low price) will do, but specs must be 9-9-9-24 DDR3-1333.

Any owners with the keyboard skin, can you comment on how the typing experience is? Would also like to see it on the SE in a photo, because I have only seen the skin itself on Sony's website. I may decide for the "Evil Empire" (Apple) look with the black keyboard skin to look somewhat like a MBP.

Does the skin not "smudge" the screen (when the lid is closed)?
    Platinum Silver Sony VAIO VPCSE190S CTO|15.5" 1080p|i5-2430m|8GB DDR3|180GB Intel 330 SSD|6630M/HD3000|

Best boot time: 35 seconds with stock Toshiba 500GB 5400rpm, 25 seconds with Intel 330 180GB SSD

The definitive Orangegate answer

Before I bought my Vaio SE, I thought everything was fine and dandy, but then I stumbled on Orangegate. Lucky for me, I already ordered it online and it was far enough along so I couldn't cancel the order.

In any case, I couldn't find a definitive answer to whether the colour of the screen is going to bother me. In a word: it doesn't bother me.

To help anyone else thinking of this computer, I gathered all my electronics that had a screen and took a picture with all the computer screens showing the same image: picture

The equipment and details I used to compare the colours are as follows:
    • Camera: Canon T2i on Standard RGB colour settings
    • Lighting: No Flash. Natural light from a window on a cloudy winter day
    • Laptop 1: White Macbook (2006, glossy screen)
    • Laptop 2: 15.5" Vaio SE (2012, Anti-glare screen)
    • Phone: iPhone 4 (not 4S, glossy screen protector)
    • Monitor: 24" HP W2407 (92% Colour Gamut, glossy screen)
    • Car: 1:18 scale Red Ferrari Enzo by Hotwheels (glossy paint)
    • Other: Image unretouched, no colour calibration performed on any monitor

This is the result. Of course, if you're looking at this picture on a Vaio SE, you're going to think all my screens have some form of Orangegate. However, when previewing the image on my T2i Camera, its very obvious that even the Macbook, which I thought had an awesome screen, doesn't display red as "red". Its still pretty orange, if you ask me. The HP LCD really shows it as "red" and deserves it 92% colour Gamut rating.

One thing to note: You can't see any reflections on the Vaio SE. Shows how awesome the anti-glare is. Should you buy one even if the colour is off? Yup.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vaio Orangegate.JPG  
    Last edited by VaioCanuck; 5th January 2012 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Make image available to non-registered users