Quantcast Official Sony SB/SA/SC/SD Series Owners' Thread - Page 552

+ Reply to Thread
Page 552 of 687 FirstFirst ... 52452502542548549550551552553554555556562602652 ... LastLast
Results 5,511 to 5,520 of 6861
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Official Sony SB/SA/SC/SD Series Owners' Thread

Notebook Deity

Default Re: Official Sony SB/SA/SC/SD Series Owners' Thread

^ there is a newer version available from DELL. i haven't tried them though.
    SONY VAIO VPC-SA290X | i5-2520m | Radeon HD 6630m | 8GB DDR3 | 256GB Crucial M4 | 13.3" 1600x900 | USB 3.0

[HOW TO]
    recover bundled applications (Adobe suite, PowerDVD, etc.) from SONY's hidden recovery partition
    clone HDD to SSD with Symantec Ghost

Notebook Geek

Has anyone tried dualbooting from both SSD and HDD? As in installing Ubuntu/Mint/whatever on the HDD and have a Windows on the SSD? I'm thinking of installing Windows 8 devprev (or wait until Beta) on the HDD and still have Windows 7 on SSD. Any thoughts on possible complications with, say, the bootloader?
    VAIO SA3 | i7-2640M | 8GB DDR3 | Force GT 120 GB (555/515) & 640GB in caddy | 1600x900 matte | Radeon HD 6630M | USB 3.0 |
    Remap VAIO-buttons | Driver installation after clean install | Bios R1031H4.exe for VPCSA3C5E (at least) | ALPS touchpad driver

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by officer_hardass View Post
    Hi, I've got an SB, i7 with Intel Widi 2.1.42

Using VAIO update, i updated my powerDVD to version 9.0.4308.52, which specifically says that the update is to enable viewing media over WIDI

i tried to play quantum of solace DVD using WIDI and an error message says, cyberlink powerdvd cannot play back the inserted disc. make sure your system meets the minimum system requirements. you can find additional information on the cyberlink faq web site - - (error code = 0102)

i tried to play BBC Life Bluray and it says, cyberlink power dvd cannot play back the protected content - (error code = 0122)

has anyone been able to playback protected dvd or bluray content over WIDI?
    there is an update for Intel WiDi on VAIO Update. have you installed that as well?
    SONY VAIO VPC-SA290X | i5-2520m | Radeon HD 6630m | 8GB DDR3 | 256GB Crucial M4 | 13.3" 1600x900 | USB 3.0

[HOW TO]
    recover bundled applications (Adobe suite, PowerDVD, etc.) from SONY's hidden recovery partition

Notebook Geek

Quote Originally Posted by darxide_sorcerer View Post
    there is an update for Intel WiDi on VAIO Update. have you installed that as well?
    yes, i have widi 2.1.42

is widi and powerDVD working properly for you?

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by darxide_sorcerer View Post
    ^ there is a newer version available from DELL. i haven't tried them though.
    I just tried these, and they are a bit nicer. Two-finger scrolling has an inertia option, and three-finger flick is there, though that doesn't seem to work very well. So, still not as good as Synaptics but not horrible either.

bah. it wont let me boot from my bootable USB with the Crucial M4 SSD firmware update. Just says no drives found??

SA31FX w/ 128GB Crucial m4

I set the boot to external of course, it properly loads to the crucial firmware update, but then it just finds no drives. So odd. Here is the guide/software I used. (This exact system worked for my desktop PC, which also used the crucial M4 SSD)
    How to Upgrade Crucial SSD Firmware | StorageReview.com - Storage Reviews

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by officer_hardass View Post
    yes, i have widi 2.1.42

is widi and powerDVD working properly for you?
    i haven't tried WiDi since i don't have a TV i can use it with. but my PowerDVD works fine (if that's what you meant).

[HOW TO]

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by Manipulate View Post
    What are the odds this screen will do the job?

13.3" WXGA++ best quality Laptop LCD screens LT131DEQAV001 products, buy 13.3" WXGA++ best quality Laptop LCD screens LT131DEQAV001 products from alibaba.com

its LVDS
    its 16x9
    its 40 pin (im pretty sure this is what we want)
    its matte
    it claims 1500:1 contrast

None of them report actual dimensions though (just dimensions of packaging). Suck so bad if I order it and its not a fit.
    The size is right, the interface is right and the aspect ratio is right, it should fit right in.
    However the product number (LT131) makes me wonder if the specifications are right... It could be a 13.1" screen and As far as I know only Sony Z series uses that form factor. That would make the interface embedded displayport which isn't compatible with LVDS.

EDIT: I found this decent looking site that has detailed info about the stock screen

Sony VAIO VPC-SA390X LAPTOP LCD SCREEN FROM $44. HP ACER TOSHIBA DELL APPLE COMPAQ. Notebook screen, laptop display, notebook lcd, laptop tft, screen DELL, ACER lcd, screens SONY, lcd DELL, ACER lcd.

Unfortunately you cant search the site by size to look for something better. Im considering just ordering an SA screen for the better resolution. But i'd prefer a glossy screen.
    Prefer glossy? That's must be a first (JK once upon a time I did too)

Quote Originally Posted by d3v0 View Post
    bah. it wont let me boot from my bootable USB with the Crucial M4 SSD firmware update. Just says no drives found??

SA31FX w/ 128GB Crucial m4

I set the boot to external of course, it properly loads to the crucial firmware update, but then it just finds no drives. So odd. Here is the guide/software I used. (This exact system worked for my desktop PC, which also used the crucial M4 SSD)
    How to Upgrade Crucial SSD Firmware | StorageReview.com - Storage Reviews
    I've made the same question a few posts ago.
    you need the modified bios or you need to place your ssd in another pc.
    The problem is the raid in the bios, you should disable it before updating the firmware

NBR Moderator

Yup, Firmware Update utilities mostly use IDE mode.

Unless you can flash your drive within Windows(Some manufacturers have specific programs for this), mostly the drives won't work inside the BIOS and they aren't recognized even if you use the tool.

You must change the settings to IDE mode.
    Macbook Pro Retina | i7 3720QM | GT 650M | 8GB | 512GB | 15" 1800p