Quantcast Official Sony VAIO F Series i5/i7 owners thread *Part 3* - Page 150

Closed Thread
Page 150 of 401 FirstFirst ... 50100140146147148149150151152153154160200250 ... LastLast
Results 1,491 to 1,500 of 4008
    Notebook Consultant

Default NVidia Driver Update

See here for a benchmark comparison of the new 257 Nvidia driver which can be installed without any need for a hack: VAIO F - NVIDIA Drivers Update (197.16) for GT 330M (10DE-0A29)
    VPCF11X/C5E | Intel® Core™ i7-720QM processor | Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit | Premium Black | 500GB Hard Disk Drive (7200rpm) | 8GB DDR3-SDRAM-1333 | Blu-ray Disc™ player | 16.4" VAIO Premium Display with NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 330M GPU (1GB VRAM) | Sony UK

Notebook Enthusiast

Default Re: Official Sony VAIO F Series i5/i7 owners thread *Part 3*

Just got my VCPF126FM from best buy. Machine runs beautiful, and it can handle gaming pretty well too. Hell of a loud fan though. Anyone know some good compatible CPU fans that are bit quieter?

Notebook Guru

Default Aero Black cursor

Maybe this is not very related, but dont you guys loses your cursor sometimes?

With this huge 1920x1080 resolution, I do.
    And when I'm hooked in a 40' TV my old eyes dont know where to look.

Windows should have a more suitable choice of colors, so I found this schemes of colors and sizes.

They were design for Vista but works wonderfully in my W7 64bit.
    Download link: [cursors] Windows Aero (Vista RTM) - Neowin Forums
    Last edited by duna; 6th July 2010 at 02:06 PM.

Notebook Evangelist

Lr Re: Official Sony VAIO F Series i5/i7 owners thread *Part 3*

Quote Originally Posted by GiveMeASpicy View Post
    Just got my VCPF126FM from best buy. Machine runs beautiful, and it can handle gaming pretty well too. Hell of a loud fan though. Anyone know some good compatible CPU fans that are bit quieter?
    How much do you pay for it?I was wondering why wouldn't BB sell the 1080P model, the only one I can see is the one that you bought which is 900P model and the core i3 model.

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by drama89 View Post
    How about the fans? RPM, noise...?This is the main reason that I'm not 100% sure to buy Sony VAIO F.
    The fans aren't even that bad, I know by reading these forums they may seem bad but they're really not. You can hear them, you can feel them but unless you're stressing that cpu or gpu you wont hear them scream.

Notebook Geek

Depending on what you're doing with the comp you either hear the fan or you don't true for every computer

Banned

Default Re: VAIO F Series Fan Replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by GiveMeASpicy View Post
    1- First, you instantly void the warranty if you replace the fan and break the thermal paste seal.

2- The system monitors the CPU, GPU & motherboard temperatures & the highest temperature determines the cooling needs and consequently the fan speed and volume of air that needs to be evacuated. I cropped this photo by jacksjw (more internals photos in the #1 post on page 1 of this thread under > Unification Post > (10) Pictures of internals and read jacksjw's fan comments.). He took photos of the fan internals that was replaced by a Sony_technician. That fan replacement changed nothing on is unit BTW.

The fan is part of the heat sink unit (copper tubing seen on the photo) and even if and this is a big IF you would find something that fits in the F with the exact same specs & CFM capacity (Cubic Feet per Minute of air or Cubic meters/second), the cooling needs of the system will not change & the replacement fan will have to run @ similar speeds thus making similar noise as the diameter is limited by the size of the squirrel cage. This is not a desktop, there is no spare space in this relatively compact machine considering the 16.4" LCD & the power & features of the components inside the case.

If you want a quieter system with less fan work, exchange the laptop for a less powerful one, or prop the back of the laptop like I do or get a cooling pad like Willscary recommended a few pages back (includes photos + benchmarks). Powerful CPU & GPU are producing heat when they work, just like a muscle car consumes more gasoline and produces more heat compared to a sub-compact. They both get there but one can get there much faster if not impeded by traffic or police.

The F fan is not noisy considering the cooling work it is doing. I can barely hear the fan @ idle & when I run the CPU + GPU full bore, I'm glad it's working and can feel with my hand the tremendous amount of heat coming out of the exhaust grid while utilities show that my CPU & GPU stay cool as illustrated by all the screen captures several of us posted in the previous pages. The palm rest stays cool also contrary to Envy_17 Owners, for example, who reported here up to 45°C/113.4°F for their palmrest and 105°C/220°F for their GPU for the same stress tests I ran on my F. I don't mind the normal fan noise at full bore because I want the power and a cool system!
    Last edited by Joe Bleau; 6th July 2010 at 03:50 PM. Reason: added content & links

Us Re: Official Sony VAIO F Series i5/i7 owners thread *Part 3*

I just opened the box for my new VPC-F12YFX/B and I am also having the Vaio Update 5 issue where I continually get the following error message: "A new version of VAIO Update is available. VAIO Update cannot be used unless it is updated. Update now?"

Clicking "Yes" briefly brings up the extractor and setup wizard, but no installation of a new version actually occurs. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Update 5 a number of times and gone through two separate support agents who could not help me. I even recovered the system to the factory condition (removing avast that I had installed) and continue to get this.

This seems different from the problem most people seem to be getting (the configuration issue), but I've seen it in a few places. Has anyone figured this one out? I know the general consensus is to forget about Vaio Update and rely on manual updates, but I can still return this machine and I'm finding it extremely hard to convince myself its a good product when this is going on.

It does seem to work in safe mode, so I've got hope that something can be done

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Perilux2 View Post
    I just opened the box for my new VPC-F12YFX/B and I am also having the Vaio Update 5 issue where I continually get the following error message: "A new version of VAIO Update is available. VAIO Update cannot be used unless it is updated. Update now?"

Clicking "Yes" briefly brings up the extractor and setup wizard, but no installation of a new version actually occurs. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Update 5 a number of times and gone through two separate support agents who could not help me. I even recovered the system to the factory condition (removing avast that I had installed) and continue to get this.

This seems different from the problem most people seem to be getting (the configuration issue), but I've seen it in a few places. Has anyone figured this one out? I know the general consensus is to forget about Vaio Update and rely on manual updates, but I can still return this machine and I'm finding it extremely hard to convince myself its a good product when this is going on.

Try downloading version 6 on directly from sony's driver page?

Banned

Default Re: Vaio Update 5 "issue", Recovery Media Etc

To return your F or do a full factory restore because of a quirky VAIO_Update 5 utility is pretty extreme to say the least IMO. It's just a utility for convenience and it has nothing to do with core functions or features on your machine.

First, maybe you messed up something? Check on esupport: An Oops! message appears when attempting to check for updates using the VAIO_Update utility.

So maybe the update for VAIO_Update 5 itself is buggy at the present but who cares? They will fix-it eventually. Just relax a little bit.

Meanwhile as you said, just check for updates manually by hitting the ASSIST key > VAIO_Care > VAIO_Support > eSupport to go directly to your model's support page and while you have the VAIO_Care window opened, do these important tasks:

Personally, I think that Vaio_Update 5 is bloatware as it misses some stuff anyway (Broadcom Firmware Update for example on my_F11) besides always running in the background, connecting to the web & using resources by adding services. I prefer to update manually by going to eSupport for my F model about once a month & read this thread where fellow helpful owners post pointers to useful stuff.

If you want the updated VAIO_Update 5 running in the background anyway:

1- Create manually a restore point to be on the safe side. Start > search: create restore point.

2- Uninstall your current VAIO_Update 5 version.

3- Reboot for good measure.

4- Go to your esupport & download current version.

5- Install & reboot.

6- Try it & click on Settings or Important info or Successful updates, etc, that fixed a quirk for some of us_F11 owners. Please report here.

7- Return your F, buy an other brand & have fun with a different set of "issues". Just check the other brands owners threads using the navigation bar on the very top of this page.

Edit: I see on your VPCF12YFX eSupport page that the only VAIO_Update 5 utility available @ the present is Version 5.1.0.13220: "This utility installs the originally shipped version of the VAIO Update 5 software". Maybe you could try the previous version from the_F11: Version: 5.0.0.10300 here? Again: Settings or Important info or Successful updates if it does not connect properly to_Sony's server.

It would be cool to post other comments about your new_F12 for the benefit of would be buyers & the rest of us besides the VAIO_Update 5 "issue".

Quote Originally Posted by Perilux2 View Post

Last edited by Joe Bleau; 6th July 2010 at 07:16 PM. Reason: link to previous VAIO_Update 5 version