Quantcast Official Sony S11/S12/S13 (2010) Owners Thread - Page 15

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 296 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565115 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Official Sony S11/S12/S13 (2010) Owners Thread

Notebook Deity

Default re: Official Sony S Series Owners Thread

Quote Originally Posted by dbhajek View Post
    Mine also does the screen blink when you unplugging or plugging the AC. It almost like its trying to switch to another video setting.
    It has to do with change the power profile and, yeah, it looks like it is trying to switch to another video setting, because it is -- even if you use the exact same setting for AC and battery, it would still refresh once to the new setting.

Notebook Deity

The loose battery does make it feel cheap.

Mine also does the screen blink when you unplugging or plugging the AC. It almost like its trying to switch to another video setting.
    Could the screen blink be due to some display setting change in power management?

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Skyshade View Post
    It has to do with change the power profile and, yeah, it looks like it is trying to switch to another video setting, because it is -- even if you use the exact same setting for AC and battery, it would still refresh once to the new setting.
    Ok Thanks

This is my first Vaio but the Dell and HP that I have and work with doesnt do that, it seems kind of over kill that the screen has to turn off for a couple of seconds just to dim or brighten the screen when you unplug or plug the AC.

Like I said this is my first Vaio.

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ota-con View Post
    Could the screen blink be due to some display setting change in power management?
    I could be wrong but the only thing I can see it does in the power management is dim or brighten the screen when you plug or unplug.
    Last edited by dbhajek; 22nd January 2010 at 04:19 PM.

Notebook Consultant

Ok Thanks

This is my first Vaio but the Dell and HP that I have and work with doesnt do that, it seems kind of over kill that the screen has to turn off for a couple of seconds just to dim or brighten the screen when you unplug or plug the AC.

Like I said this is my first Vaio.
    My Dell does the same thing. It could be worse, my Dell sometimes doesn't turn back on. Have to push the power button to power off and reboot. Like others have said, it is something to do with power management and isn't a Sony only thing. I think it just depends on the model of PC you get.

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyB68 View Post
    My Dell does the same thing. It could be worse, my Dell sometimes doesn't turn back on. Have to push the power button to power off and reboot. Like others have said, it is something to do with power management and isn't a Sony only thing. I think it just depends on the model of PC you get.
    It could be the video setting and I understand others might have seen this before in other laptops. However, I have used several laptops in the past (2 Lenovo models, Dell, Vaio, Toshiba, and even Averatec) - non had this issue. I would bet the majority of laptops don't have it. So, for a +$1000 laptop, I would expect it to be more refined - both the build and small little things like screen blinking because of power management.

I have been working on a VAIO S-series that was purchased from Best Buy. I have 2 concerns.

1. Smaller concern: I saw that people who purchased the S-series from Best Buy were also getting an adapter for Intel's Wireless Display and 1 year's worth of free Anti-Virus...do you think Best Buy would be able to give me the adapter and Anti-Virus since it was never given to me?

2. BIGGER concern: There is a high-pitched sound that comes from the speakers whenever a sound is played on the computer. When the computer is restarted or turned on, everything is fine and you hear what you usually hear. After awhile, this beep/noise comes up again. (Example: When you click on the volume marker to raise/lower the sound, it makes the noise. When you go back or forth through folders, the noise comes on. When music or sound is played consistently, the the high-pitched noise is heard the whole time. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but I have been unable to find any information on this anywhere.

3. An even BIGGER concern...........just kidding

Any and all help is appreciated...thanks!

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by STikki View Post
    I have been working on a VAIO S-series that was purchased from Best Buy. I have 2 concerns.

1. Smaller concern: I saw that people who purchased the S-series from Best Buy were also getting an adapter for Intel's Wireless Display and 1 year's worth of free Anti-Virus...do you think Best Buy would be able to give me the adapter and Anti-Virus since it was never given to me?

2. BIGGER concern: There is a high-pitched sound that comes from the speakers whenever a sound is played on the computer. When the computer is restarted or turned on, everything is fine and you hear what you usually hear. After awhile, this beep/noise comes up again. (Example: When you click on the volume marker to raise/lower the sound, it makes the noise. When you go back or forth through folders, the noise comes on. When music or sound is played consistently, the the high-pitched noise is heard the whole time. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but I have been unable to find any information on this anywhere.

1. Take the receipt with you and ask them.

2. Uh oh.

3. UH OH ! Read up in the F Series Owners Thread. Sounds like the same
    issues others are having.
    Sony VAIO Z820 Black and Blu with Samsung 830 Series SSD 256GB

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by STikki View Post

1. I didnt get the free Anti-Virus with mine so I plan on going back with my receipt and try to get it even though I wont use it because of Microsoft security essentials, maybe friend or family would want it.

2. No high-pitched sound from mine or at least from what I can hear.

Notebook Geek

I doubt between a S-serie and the Y-serie.

S-serie
    Things I like about the S-serie:
    - it will has WIDI (later)
    - it has a backlit-keyboard (only not available on a silver version)
    - it has WWAN, it has a good CPU (i5)
    - it has a good GPU (Nvidia (Europe))
    - it has 4 gig of RAM

Things I don't like about the S-serie:
    - at the moment it's only available in black
    - I'm not sure if I will like the design because it's looks to me like a cube design
    - I'm not sure if I will like all the slots and buttons at the front (almost the same as design)

Y-Serie
    Things I like:
    - the nice design (not like a cube)
    - it's available in silver
    - it has WWAN
    - long battery life

Things I don't like:
    - The "slow" CPU (I'm "scared" if it will be too slow in the future for things I would like to do)
    - No optical drive (I don't like to have an optical USB drive)

It's a difficult choice for me, because I would like to have a silver notebook (which is the Y). At the moment I will use it for internet (skype, facebook, google etc.) and documentary (typing etc.). I don't play games, but maybe I will get regret if I will choose the Y-serie, because sometimes I will play a game (but that's for 2-4 weeks).

Now I do have an FZ11S with a intel core 2 DUO @ 1.8 GHz, 2 gig of RAM, Nvidia Geforce 8400M GT.
    I suppose that the Y will be slower then my current notebook. The S will be definitely be faster then my current notebook.

Can someone help me?