Quantcast VAIO TZ Owner's Thread - Page 69

+ Reply to Thread
Page 69 of 137 FirstFirst ... 195965666768697071727379119 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: VAIO TZ Owner's Thread

Notebook Guru

Default Re: VAIO TZ Owner's Thread

Quote Originally Posted by jack sparrow View Post
    Maybe Sony made an upgrade for one model only? I don't see or hear other configurations except this TZ298.
    looks like they put in a new processor.

i'm sure other models are going to be released over a period of time

Quote Originally Posted by makaveli2g View Post
    In response to the motion eye damage... I do have slight rubbing, but any marks wipe off.

So far it hasnt affected the actual part where there lens is...
    Thanks for letting me know makaveli2g. In my case the rubbing has marked the lens and it doesn't rub off. I've taken to putting another piece of fabric (like the keyboard protector that Sony supply) over the camera, which has stopped it damaging any more. I've contacted Sony and they say that it's not a design fault and that as no one else has complained they're not going to do anything about it. It's clearly a design issue. Otherwise why would they give you the fabric to protect the screen. There's a shot of my damaged lens below.

Anyone else experienced this. Perhaps PM me if so.

-g

Notebook Enthusiast

Hey Guys!
    I have my TZ since September and it is a wonderful workstation and an eyecatching accessoir. The only thing that leaves me really unhappy: I can't get the TV-Tuner working.

Has there ever been one among you, who got the TV-Tuner operationable? On Vista? On Debian/SuSe?

Thanks for any helpful information on that,
    Johannes from Germany

Notebook Evangelist

gtahh go to a local automotive store and buy some clear plastic polish rub a small amount on a micro polist cloth in a back and forth motion and then wipe off with a clean micro cloth and polish out those scratches thats what i did with my brothers and it looks brand new
    C1MVP>T350>SZ110P>TXN15P>TZ150N>Z530>P530
    Sony VAIO P530W
    1.33 GHZ Intel Atom 520Z | 2GB RAM | 60GB HDD

hey guys, just joined the happy TZ owners family with the 27GN. unfortunately it comes with 1gb and the 4200rpm drive which i think over time will start to gnaw at my brain.

i dont think i will do any major mods (ie. hdd to ssd swap) before my warranty expires as i might need it, but i do intend to upgrade the ram. to confirm, all i need to look for is: 533mhz 200 pin ddr2 right?

also ive found some threads detailing the TZ disassembly but im wondering if anyones created a thread or has pictures that specifically address the hdd to ssd drive swap? im pretty comfortable disassembling myself but need to make sure i dont hit any major roadblocks along the way.

this site is amazing but this thread is even better! thanks to all the contributors, ill definitely be checking in here daily from here on out!

Notebook Evangelist

search there has been a guy that swapped out his 1.8 and put in a ssd I would like you but im too lazy =p
    C1MVP>T350>SZ110P>TXN15P>TZ150N>Z530>P530
    Sony VAIO P530W
    1.33 GHZ Intel Atom 520Z | 2GB RAM | 60GB HDD

Notebook Guru

Advice on Spec, US vs Asia:
    The newly announced TZ for US states that it has a XBRITE screen:
    http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665293952
    The old Asia version states it has a Hi-Colour screen
    http://vaio-online.sony.com/prod_inf...ture_3.html#01

Are these screens the same but just using different marketing terms? OR are they different and is it worth waiting for the XBRITE version to be released in Asia?
    Thanks

Notebook Geek

I just got a TZ 170 and the Fry's guys told me that it was the last one and they are not getting anymore shipments. Also said that there is a new version coming out soon.
    ---------------------------
    Thinkpad T61 14.1" in widescreen| Mushkin 4g Ram| Hitachi 200gb 7k200 Hard drive| 1g Turbo memory | T7300 2.0ghz| 7 cell and 4 cell | Windows Vista Ulti 64 bit| Nvidia Quadro NVS 140m |

Sony Vaio TZ 170N/B - Slow as hell but Looks awesome

Toshiba U305 13.3" - Give it to my Mom

Notebook Geek

i'm a TZ 170n/b owner (which i believe is the 2GB 100GB 4200 rpm) and I feel like the statements of it being mindnumbingly slow are a little overblown. Like everyone's said, gut out the bloatware, reduce your startup progs, and it's not that bad. i generally keep it in sleep (as opposed to hibernate or off) and it pops back up and is running in 4 to 5 seconds.

i'll admit a cold restart takes upwards of 2 minutes, but I don't really do it very often. I use mine for light multi-tasking (word processing/itunes/firefox/outlook/messaging clients) and it handles it like a champ. I guess it all depends on what your expectations are. Previous to this, I had a heavy desktop replacement notebook that was a pain (literally) to carry around. All I wanted was portability, style, and above average performance for my purposes. This little guy's exceeded all those expectations.

That said, when the price of a 64GB SSD gets reasonable, I'll might do the SSD swap myself, but until then, I'm very happy with my purchase.

Just my 2 cents!

Notebook Geek

also, spacehog, here's a link to that thread from the guy who swapped in an SSD, with pretty specific instructions.

Instructions for installing ssd drive into the sony vaio tz