Quantcast Fake NAND found in SSD's - Page 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: Fake NAND found in SSD's

I would say HDD's are a good backup option assuming you overwrite your data every few years at least (because of the volatility of magnetic storage). If you do even monthly backups and don't necessarily need you old ones forever HDDs will work great. The less they're used the longer they last and they're a proven technology. The only risk is that the data will discharge over long periods of disuse (and it's a long time). As long as you don't write the data and lock it away for 30 years you should be good.
    Alienware m14x R2 i7 3630QM 8GB RAM Geforce 650M

Dell XPS L521x i7 3612QM 8GB RAM Geforce 640M Returned -> Throttling, Bad Wi-fi, dead pixels.

Notebook Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by yalcin19 View Post
    That site owner has no clue about SSD's at all, and yet people still regard him as SSD deity.
    He is just a good compiler of other's knowledge and experience.
    Yeap. I recall how he told about Windows Restore points killing and slowing SSD drive in magic way LOL.
    Even genius without a proper knowledge can be mislead
    CURRENT MSI GE70 0NC with CoolerMaster Notepal U3|3920XM @3.8GHzx4|OCed GT 650M @1130MHz/8GB SAMSUNG @1866Mhz CL11 RAM|1920x1080 FullHD MATTE screen|Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by James D View Post
    Yeap. I recall how he told about Windows Restore points killing and slowing SSD drive in magic way LOL.
    I remember (on Anandtech Forum) he was strongly opposing the idea of over provisioning and couldn't grasp what it does at all.
    Few of us couldn't even make him comprehend how SSD's work.
    A while later I came across his web site and saw he is explaining about over provisioning.
    And no references at all.
    The world is funny as it is, isn't it?

This comment is from Anandtech web site:

Quote Originally Posted by JellyRoll;
    Thats not 'counterfeit NAND'. It is merely NAND that OCZ desolders off RMA SSDs and sells into the market. A fairly common occurrence. Yet another reason why opening your SSD voids your warranty, they do not want you to know what you are getting!
    New SSD With Counterfeit Memory? - AnandTech Forums

Sone

Who in the world will buy a "KingWin" SSD. Fake nand is the norm when they can fake food and powdered milk .
    Dell M6600 : DIY RGB LED IPS / i7-2670QM / K5000M / SM841 128GB / M5M 128GB / 2 Spinner / 24GB DDR3 1333 / Intel 7260 / Intel 6200. ll U2711 DIY LP173WF3(SL)(B1) B156HW01 v7
    HP DV6z DV6t Asus K53TA Lenovo T61 G530 Dell Vostro1500
    Docomo Prime SH-10C : Pink 3DASV 16MPCCD IPX5/IPX7

BREAKING NEWS: That shiny new SSD you just bought may contain up to 100% horsemeat! News at 11.

That article was hard to read, not because of its content, but for the complete butchery of the English language by its author. I really hope English is his second or third language.

Counterfeit things are sold all day every day everywhere. It's not so shocking that a new chip supplier of some backwater SSD maker got duped and it affected ~30 shipped drives.

Notebook Deity

That site owner has no clue about SSD's at all, and yet people still regard him as SSD deity.
    He is just a good compiler of other's knowledge and experience.
    Not sure who that is for, but I read on his site that he used to be a reviewer here. Still no relevance to my post though.

Quote Originally Posted by zippyzap View Post
    At least the drive was functional and had full capacity, albeit at lower performance.

When I think of "fake" I think of motherboards BITD that had fake cache (remember when cache was on motherboards and not CPU?), or USB flash drives with fake capacities.

fake usb flash

fake cache
    No clue who the company is, but when I think of fake, I would think that if I am buying Micron NAND, and it is actually OCZ that has had all its marking stripped off and then a fake Mocron brand placed on it, it is counterfeit. However, I would not buy from an unknown company anyway.

This comment is from Anandtech web site:

New SSD With Counterfeit Memory? - AnandTech Forums
    It is NAND that is OCZ and then had everything stripped off and fake Micron branding replaced it. That is actually the definition of counterfeit. Very different than Micron buying the NAND and rebranding it. It would appear that a company bought the NAND from OCZ and then worked hard to counterfeit the Micron branding, no doubt to resell at a higher price.

I do agree with that " void the warranty if you open the SSD" can be protection from users knowing practices less than stellar or honest, because in reality, who knows if there are other companies buying counterfeit NAND. I have seen relatively new companies advertise or post on here for a while and sometimes their prices are much lower than name brand companies.

I don't know the person you refer to, but please don't allow your perception/knowledge of that person to take away the main message here. Buy from reputable companies, and as in my first post, there are issues buying counterfeit Crucial SSD drives also.

This is quoted from the original article. Disclaimer: I haven't taken the time to verify this.

"PommieB • 3 days ago −
    Fake Crucial ssd's turned up on the Crucial forums about 4 to 6 months ago, the older M225 ssd's and at least one M4, I placed a caution in the news section of my thread at extreme overclocking, These ssd drives were not manufactured by Crucial and were discovered when the ssd's were rma'd, the M225 is a old Crucial drive that's been EOL for a while now, the rma's were naturally turned down by Crucial and a warning was placed in the Crucial forums."
    Last edited by Abidderman; 18th February 2013 at 11:27 PM. Reason: plz learn to use mulitquote
    Sager NP8150, 12gb, Intel 520 SSD and 1GB Travelstar, GTX 485m,2820qm.
    Asus G73jh, 6gb, 5870m, Intel 510 SSD, Scorpio Black
    Asus EP121: I-5, 4gb 10700, 80gb Intel 310 SSD

Notebook Virtuoso

Is everyone reading the same info I am?

Usually someone faking/remarking hardware tries to make the item out to be better than it actually is.

In this case the NAND that was rejected by OCZ as substandard for SSD use and sold off to a 3rd party was remarked to part numbers that are for lower quality NAND for USB flash drives.

Doesn't that seem like a good thing.

IMO it's simply poor quality control on the SSD makers part.

Notebook Virtuoso

I have 5 USB drives from 128 MB (yes MB) to 8 GB - various manf. and all are used often. None have failed but any that contain important data are backed up to an external hard drive.
    BTW anyone have personal experience with Centon USB drives I saw 128 Gb for <$70 US
    good find Abidderman
    Last edited by JOSEA; 19th February 2013 at 11:39 AM.

Notebook Evangelist

Insane need to test the $320 512GB m4 when it comes in.
    MSI GT70-494US | i7-3630qm | Nvidia GTX 670mx | 32GB ram | Samsung Pro 840 512GB
    Crucial m4 512GB esata MiniPro - Goes between the two
    Apple Macbook Air 2012 4GB/128GB

Notebook Virtuoso

The NAND is not "Fake".

OCZ doesn't own a NAND Fab.

OCZ bought the whole waffers from Intel Micron and sliced it up into chips then screened them with their markings.

OCZ,upon testing the NAND memory chips found some did not meet their SSD NAND specs.

Having no use for the chips that didn't meet their SSD quality standard sold them off at auction.This is a common practice in the NAND market.

The NAND was eventually rescreened with Micron part numbers that reflect USB quality NAND.

Again not uncommon in the NAND market.

The NAND started life as Intel/Micron and ended up as Micron.

The SSD was made by KingFast and inspected and certified by them so can it be called counterfeit?

The NAND is Real Intel Micon so can it be called Fake?

How they ended up in a KingFast F3 SSD is the real question.

Deception or Accident

End users void their warranty if the open their SSD to check the components.

Let's take the NAND question a bit furher.

How much difference is there between a NAND chip that passes testing at the top of the specs and the bottom of the specs that would allow for it to be put in an SSD?

Most likely different makers will have different tolerances.

The NAND on mSATA SSDs is easy to see and read the markings.

Many have the Brand/Part#/Lot#/Production Date and the numbers can be Googled.

I saw some NAND on a particular brand and model of mSATA SSD that were not familiar to me and was not found on Google so I asked the rep that visits and posts on this forum frequently about the NAND chips but I didn't get an answer.

So,why does opening an SSD void the warranty if doing it doesn't damage the drive?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast