Quantcast Plextor M5P vs Samsung 840 Pro vs Intel 520?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default Plextor M5P vs Samsung 840 Pro vs Intel 520?

I'm currently considering to buy a good 256GB ssd and finally came up with three candidates as title goes. Can't really go wrong with any of them according to my friend but I would like to hear some more opinions about these SSDs. Seems to be almost identical as far as price goes.

I'm leaning towards Plextor right now. My friend keeps reminding me to avoid SANDFORCE like a plague(which I kinda agree because of terrible experience with OCZ) and 840 pro seems to have issue where it slows down in dirty state. Some say that the new firmware update fixed that issue but im not sure.

If you have suggestion for other high performance SSD options feel free...but do not recommend me any OCZ garbage

(Really odd person)

Default Re: Plextor M5P vs Samsung 840 Pro vs Intel 520?

Nice to see another soul who refuse to consider OCZ drives

Anyhow, the dirt state is now greatly improved with the newest firmware from Samsung
    "1. Improved ''''dirty drive'''' write performance."
    Support - Solid State Drives MZ-7PD256 | Samsung Memory & Storage

As for Plextor vs 840 PRO, I`d go for the Samsung drive 100%. In Anandtech`s tests, they do their "Light workload" and their "Heavy workload". And as you can see, the 840 is the best you get right now. Its in a different league.

The MOASB, officially called AnandTech Storage Bench 2011—Heavy Workload, mainly focuses on the times when your I/O activity is the highest. There is a lot of downloading and application installing that happens during the course of this test. Our thinking was that it's during application installs, file copies, downloading, and multitasking with all of this that you can really notice performance differences between drives.

There's also a new light workload for 2011. This is a far more reasonable, typical every day use case benchmark. It has lots of web browsing, photo editing (but with a greater focus on photo consumption), video playback, as well as some application installs and gaming. This test isn't nearly as write intensive as the MOASB but it's still multiple times more write intensive than what we were running last year.

Last edited by Cloudfire; 4th January 2013 at 11:18 AM.

Wisdom listens quietly...

This is a no brainer: Intel 520 Series 240GB SSD is not only the best of your three choices it is the best SSD period right now if a well-rounded (balanced) component is what you're looking to add to your system...

(When $$, power consumption/heat output, peak performance, sustained/consistent performance and reliability are all equally important, or; in the proper 'balance').

If you want an 'alternative' for some $ savings: the SanDisk Extreme 240GB model (though you don't get to play with a 'real' SSD toolbox like the Intel SSD Toolbox, for example...).

Consistent performance of SSD's is one of my pet peeves - no consumer SSD's offer it while keeping the other factors at an acceptable level - but with at least 30% over-provisioning (actually leaving that capacity as 'unallocated' not simply 'free') the Intel SSD's have come the closest to what was actually promised from the SSD 'experience' from ~4 years ago.

The Plextor stumbles pretty bad with writes (low QD's) - below the Crucial M4 levels.

And in the consistency testing it is below the Samsung 840 PRO, which is also among the worst SSD's tested in the following link.

See:
    AnandTech - Plextor Updates The Firmware on M5 Pro: Promises Increased Performance, We Test It

Even with 25% over-provisioning, the Samsung 840 PRO barely catches the performance of the NON over-provisioned Intel 330 Series SSD but at least improves on the horrible performance of the Plextor M5 PRO.

Yeah; your friend was 66% wrong - the only one you can't go wrong with is the Intel 520 Series or the 335 Series if you trust the article linked - but I haven't personally used/tested the 335's myself.

As for the Samsung 840 PRO? I feel they are built for 'benchmarks' not for real world use (I have found every single Samsung SSD I have played with to feel 'slow' - like a HDD - but to be transparent; I haven't played with a modern SSD example from Samsung for a long time - but results like the above don't really inspire me to do so either).

You may also wonder about the Corsair Neutron SSD's from the above links. Yes, they are consistent. But I feel not suitable for mobile use (due to their high power usage).

See:
    AnandTech - Corsair Neutron & Neutron GTX: All Capacities Tested

I hope I have provided enough information so that you can make the proper decision for 'you'?

Good luck.

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by tilleroftheearth View Post
    This is a no brainer: Intel 520 Series 240GB SSD is not only the best of your three choices it is the best SSD period right now if a well-rounded (balanced) component is what you're looking to add to your system...

(When $$, power consumption/heat output, peak performance, sustained/consistent performance and reliability are all equally important, or; in the proper 'balance').

If you want an 'alternative' for some $ savings: the SanDisk Extreme 240GB model (though you don't get to play with a 'real' SSD toolbox like the Intel SSD Toolbox, for example...).

Consistent performance of SSD's is one of my pet peeves - no consumer SSD's offer it while keeping the other factors at an acceptable level - but with at least 30% over-provisioning (actually leaving that capacity as 'unallocated' not simply 'free') the Intel SSD's have come the closest to what was actually promised from the SSD 'experience' from ~4 years ago.

The Plextor stumbles pretty bad with writes (low QD's) - below the Crucial M4 levels.

And in the consistency testing it is below the Samsung 840 PRO, which is also among the worst SSD's tested in the following link.

See: AnandTech - Plextor Updates The Firmware on M5 Pro: Promises Increased Performance, We Test It

Even with 25% over-provisioning, the Samsung 840 PRO barely catches the performance of the NON over-provisioned Intel 330 Series SSD but at least improves on the horrible performance of the Plextor M5 PRO.

Yeah; your friend was 66% wrong - the only one you can't go wrong with is the Intel 520 Series or the 335 Series if you trust the article linked - but I haven't personally used/tested the 335's myself.

As for the Samsung 840 PRO? I feel they are built for 'benchmarks' not for real world use (I have found every single Samsung SSD I have played with to feel 'slow' - like a HDD - but to be transparent; I haven't played with a modern SSD example from Samsung for a long time - but results like the above don't really inspire me to do so either).

You may also wonder about the Corsair Neutron SSD's from the above links. Yes, they are consistent. But I feel not suitable for mobile use (due to their high power usage).

See:
    AnandTech - Corsair Neutron & Neutron GTX: All Capacities Tested

I hope I have provided enough information so that you can make the proper decision for 'you'?

Good luck.
    Hey Tiller,

The OP started with "currently considering to buy a good 256GB ssd" but that seems to have gotten lost.

Is the story on the larger 512GB SSD units still different than that of the smaller units???

Current open pricing of ~512GB SSD 2.5" units is in the $350-to-$400 area.

Commercial units well larger than 512GB seem to now be showing up but are well North of $800.

So is 2.5" Crucial M4 512GB SSD (a low cost leader regardless of size) still a performance leader for the 512GB size???

Inquiring minds want to know.

Too late for me as I already have my 2.5" Crucial M4 512GB SSD.

But I like to keep up to date on these things.

(Really odd person)

Sure, trust tiller and his unrealistic test he keeps throwing around. But I understand him, its the only test the Intel 520 does well, too bad it doesn`t count a single bit for normal users. In that test, Anandtech fires the SSDs with a total unrealistic data at a queue depth of 32. Normal scenarios, such as playing games, surfing etc have a queue depth of 2-5. Servers however are usually hit with a huge data load, and there the IOPS and QD is important, but I highly doubt the OP is gonna run his SSD in a server...

Anandtech themselves says that the 840 "is currently the fastest SSD" available (just look at the light/heavy workload Anandtech tested it in). And when you take everything in to consideration, not only is the 840 PRO clearly the fastest (except in servers), it also use less power than 520. But sure by all means tiller, keep throwing around that QD32 link you post everytime there is a SSD discussion.

To quote Tomshardware:
    SSDs are different, though. They're built using multiple NAND flash channels attached to a controller, and maximizing the utilization of each channel requires high queue depths. Otherwise, performance isn't nearly as impressive as it's often presented by SSD manufacturers. As such, review sites have gotten into a bad habit of following suit, which is why you see solid-state drives benchmarked with queue depths of 32 (despite the fact that you'd likely never see a queue depth that high).
    To end this debate since I`m sick of discussing that 520, I`m just gonna throw this out there. Have a nice day everyone and good luck to you OP for choosing the right one

OtherSongs,

I was going to put this in, but thought I would control myself.

However, since you're asking directly - yes at anything larger than 240/256GB capacity the Crucial M4 512GB SSD is the only one to consider right now (as all other recommended drives seem to take a nosedive, performance-wise when the capacity increases).

This assumes of course that you have a one or two drive bays available - if you have 3, 4 or more (with mSATA and/or OD bays used)... and your workflow/data requirements allow your 'projects' to be easily split - I would still recommend 3, 4 or more Intel 520 Series 240GB SSD's for maximum sustained performance.

Up until this post - I don't think the OP's original question got lost - just giving the most timely and pertinent information I can.

(Did this answer your question?)...

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudfire View Post
    To end this debate since I`m sick of discussing that 520, I`m just gonna throw this out there. Have a nice day everyone and good luck to you OP for choosing the right one
    "To end this debate..."

Geez!

You are starting the debate with the above "Battery Runtime" pic!

Seems to me that for SSD units both the power usage and the performance varies depending on size of the SSD.

All ears, if I'm wrong.

(Really odd person)

Quote Originally Posted by OtherSongs View Post
    Seems to me that for SSD units both the power usage
    and the performance varies depending on size of the SSD.

Take the 520
    180GB performs better than 480GB and 480GB performs better than 120GB...

More NAND generally means more power consumed yes. Sometimes. Look up power charts and it varies from brand to brand. Not a straight answer here either.
    But it really doesn`t matter. If this was true it means that 520 should use less power than 840 but its clearly not the case which I showed above. But you can`t compare NAND size between two different brands. Power consumption is highly complicated. Everything from how high clocked the controller is, what controller it is, how much NAND is used, how often does the drive perform garbage collection etc etc etc.
    Thats why we have definitive test as the one above.

Now I`m really out of this thread for good. I don`t have time for this

Cloudfire,

No, don't trust 'tiller' (me). That is why I give links - you should too (please).

Also, you are confusing yourself between benchmarks and real world usage - sure Anand said that the 840 Pro is the fastest SSD... fastest he's benched.

Anand also said:
    I know through personal experience that I often encounter unexpectedly high IO latency at least several times a day on my personal machine (Samsung SSD 830). I would be willing to give up a bit of performance to get a more consistent experience.

See:
    AnandTech - The Intel SSD DC S3700 (200GB) Review

Cloudfire said:
    Thats why we have definitive test as the one above.
    Lol... that is very, very amusing. Especially when we don't know the setup or 'controls' used for this definitive test.

Given that the 840 PRO has horrible consistency at the highest QD tested (i.e. 'best case scenario') - it only follows that it will be just as bad at lower QD's, comparatively, to other SSD's too, if not more so. And will give the same kind of real world performance as I've quoted Anand above and I've experienced myself with all Samsung SSD's I've played with (they feel like HDD's vs. 'real' SSD's - though to be fair I'll repeat that I haven't yet tried the 830 or 840/Pro variants).

I find it hard to believe that the 520 Series SSD's have worse battery life than the 510 Series (I've used both and gotten opposite results from what the graph shows).

Anyway - I get it - you love Samsung.

I might too (if/when I ever test it properly myself).

But benchmarks are not what the world revolves around here...

You're not ending a debate - you're just running out of facts to prove your opinion.

And getting angry never solves anything (or convinces anyone they (me) might be wrong) either.

Hope to see the links to your post above...
    Last edited by tilleroftheearth; 4th January 2013 at 05:42 PM.

(Really odd person)

Do you even read the reviews you are quoting or are you just cherry picking? Like I said before, that was an enterprise review, they are discussing workstations and servers. The controllers tested there are all enterprise controllers, i.e not for normal users like I have said many times now. Samsung 840 and Intel 330 are the only consumer SSDs there. Even that 520 controller is an enterprice controller. You comparing a controller that is oriented for enterprise workloads against controllers which you find inside M4/830/840, on enterprice workloads. Its like testing a Ferrari against a 4WD on a muddy and rocky terrain. Totally unfair.

And here is the rest of what you quoted to get a complete picture.
    On the client side the improvements offered by the new S3700 controller are more subtle. Intel told me that it had to give up max performance in pursuit of consistency. We see that a bit if you look at our client focused Storage Bench suites. Samsung's SSD 840 Pro retains the overall performance crown (admittedly Intel's S3700 firmware is more optimized for enterprise workloads), but when it comes to IO consistency the S3700 can't be beat. For a client usage model (e.g. in a desktop or notebook) the impact of all of this is simply going to be fewer hiccups in normal use. Light workloads likely won't see any benefit especially if they're mostly read heavy
    Why do you think it won`t have any benefit on light workload (typical everyday task for us "normal" users)? The answer was in my previous post. That is why I`m telling that the consistency link you keep posting are a moot point. It does not matter how good the 520 is at QD32 for us normal users unless you are running a server.
    IO consistency is one thing, Queue depth at a fully 32 in a total of 2000 seconds is a totally unrealistic scenario. QD=32 is not the "best scenario" its the worst scenario.

I`m not trying to end the debate either. Well I`m trying to end my participation here but you keep dragging me in
    Last edited by Cloudfire; 4th January 2013 at 06:35 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast