Quantcast Samsung 470 SSD Series Thread - Page 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Notebook Geek

Default Re: Samsung 470 Series SSD Firmware Update

Hi guys, I just got the 256gb 470 and it has the AXM08B1Q on it. Im having trouble updating with the ssd magician 1.2. I create the stick but when i boot from it i get a partition table error.

I tried a couple of different sticks but still the same error. I also tried making my own bootable usb and then letting ssd magician put the firmware on it and the update utility does boot but it is so blurry I can hardly read it and am afraid to use it. Any advice or help is appreciated
    Desktop:Evga E757 X58 SLI LE|Intel Core I7 975 Extreme|6Gb Corsair DDR3 1600|Evga GTX 480

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by jhan1 View Post
    Hi guys, I just got the 256gb 470 and it has the AXM08B1Q on it. Im having trouble updating with the ssd magician 1.2. I create the stick but when i boot from it i get a partition table error.

I tried a couple of different sticks but still the same error. I also tried making my own bootable usb and then letting ssd magician put the firmware on it and the update utility does boot but it is so blurry I can hardly read it and am afraid to use it. Any advice or help is appreciated
    Try to create/delete a partition on the SSD, maybe this will fix it. Another option could be to Secure Erase the SSD.

Notebook Enthusiast

Hi guys !
    It seems that I can't update my 128Go PM810 with the latest firmware...
    I bought it on Ebay, and I think that it must be a Dell OEM item...
    Its firmware is AXM0601Q
    I've tried to update it with Samsung Magician 1.1 and 1.2 but when scanning the flashing software doesn't recognize any SSD...
    I remember that it was possible to update Dell OEM PM800 with Samsung firmware.
    Does anybody have an idea on how to perform it with a PM810 ?

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by cedugato View Post
    Hi guys !
    It seems that I can't update my 128Go PM810 with the latest firmware...
    I bought it on Ebay, and I think that it must be a Dell OEM item...
    Its firmware is AXM0601Q
    I've tried to update it with Samsung Magician 1.1 and 1.2 but when scanning the flashing software doesn't recognize any SSD...
    I remember that it was possible to update Dell OEM PM800 with Samsung firmware.
    Does anybody have an idea on how to perform it with a PM810 ?
    You have to get the update by Dell!

Notebook Deity

Default re: Samsung 470 SSD Series Thread

I have always used this site from Samsung to create a ISO Disc to boot from.
    TTS/HSN

However, they have not yet added the new F/W to it. Are you guys 100% sure it is non destructive?

If they did change it then kudo's to Samsung! I have always disliked, and wondered why they made it destructive in the past. I have never even tried to use or make a bootable USB Disc.
    TOUGHBOOK CF-30 MK3 CF30KCKEQAM/SAMSUNG 470 256GB SSD/INTEL E-EXTREME SSD FOR BACKUP/4GB RAM/TOUCH/DUALPASSTHRU/BT/E KB/2ND BATTERY/SSD & SCREEN HTR/GOBI2K

TOUGHBOOK CF-30 MK2 CF30FDGEKAM/INTEL X-25M 80GB SSD/4GB RAM/NON-TOUCH/DUAL PASS THRU/BT/EKB/2ND BATTERY/EMBEDDED VERIZON

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by Toyo View Post
    I have always used this site from Samsung to create a ISO Disc to boot from.
    TTS/HSN

However, they have not yet added the new F/W to it. Are you guys 100% sure it is non destructive?

If they did change it then kudo's to Samsung! I have always disliked, and wondered why they made it destructive in the past. I have never even tried to use or make a bootable USB Disc.
    You can get the FW from site
    Samsung
    There is also following note
    (Note, Firmware update from AXM07B1Q and AXM08B1Q to AXM09B1Q doesn''t erase your data on SSD.)

Notebook Deity

Sorry, I missed that. I am going to update my FW this morning. I do not believe in making a copy of my current OS and then updating the FW and reloading the previous OS. Now we don't have to worry about that now that it is non destructive.
    I am sure I will be back on here soon looking for help on making USb bootable with the new FW on it Like I said, never had to do that before.
    TOUGHBOOK CF-30 MK3 CF30KCKEQAM/SAMSUNG 470 256GB SSD/INTEL E-EXTREME SSD FOR BACKUP/4GB RAM/TOUCH/DUALPASSTHRU/BT/E KB/2ND BATTERY/SSD & SCREEN HTR/GOBI2K

TOUGHBOOK CF-30 MK2 CF30FDGEKAM/INTEL X-25M 80GB SSD/4GB RAM/NON-TOUCH/DUAL PASS THRU/BT/EKB/2ND BATTERY/EMBEDDED VERIZON

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Toyo View Post
    Sorry, I missed that. I am going to update my FW this morning. I do not believe in making a copy of my current OS and then updating the FW and reloading the previous OS. Now we don't have to worry about that now that it is non destructive.
    I am sure I will be back on here soon looking for help on making USb bootable with the new FW on it Like I said, never had to do that before.
    From Magician Utility 1.2 click F/W update,,click browse(top one) and find your usb 2.0 stick( you put into usb 2 slot,my usb drive was empty ) and click it-then click okay,,next click browse(bottom one) and go to where the firmware update was download too,FW_AXM09B1Q click FW-then click okay,then click make usb disk bootable(below the browse buttons),then click start and accept free dos license and then watch the progress bar, it will be done fast,,your done ready to update your Samsung 470 series,,make sure your bios passes boot to this same usb 2-thumb-flash-ect-drive(leave it plugged in)..and then passes boot to your Samsung SSD after the firmware update(remove usb 2 stick), a little bios work, maybe, I enter my bios to check it out and adjust boot sequence by key F1-press on startup(Move around in the bios by arrow keys and save setting F10 on mine when boot sequence is proper),,read the instructions on moving up and down boot devices in bios mine are on the right side in boot area of BIOS,,I checked mine , my usb stick was in first boot device without any adjustments and after removal, normal boot sequence was done automatically boot from dvd/cd then Samsung SSD ,,Nice to have a IBM/Lenovo Notebook,,,,YES-I updated my firmware on my Samsung 470 SSD and it insisted on booting itself by bypassing my Partition Wizard Disk(still a good disk) in my DVD/CD Drive,this is how I found out it was Non-Destructive firmware update,, nice IBM/Lenovo/Samsung/Partition Wizard/Windows 7/ect./Me- feature,,,technically the bios found Windows 7 installation in tact , too make a long story short,,

jhan1 and toyo,,post your crystal disk marks for Samsung 470 SSD after firmware update,,that way 64gb,128gb and 256gb CDM benchmarks will be up,,nice to see the differences,,,,

Cheers
    3Fees
    Last edited by 3Fees; 17th May 2011 at 02:35 AM.

Notebook Deity

Thanks for the very nice instructions. Mine did not go as easy as yours though
    After I hit the start button to create the USB Boot Disc I kept getting an error stating that a file was missing. I believe it was something like .rpt I must have downloaded that freakin FW file 10 times until I started to dig deeper. I ended up going into my Program Files under the Samsung Magician and I found that file. I copy and pasted that file into the FW file and then it worked great. There are 4 files in that FW that you must have. Remember this if anybody has a problem. I had called Samsung before I found that file and they were clueless. I actually had found it while I was on hold with the guy.

Do we have any idea what changes were made in this FW? It sure did come quick after the previous one. I ran my As SSD Benchmark and was not all that impressed. I had some before and after tests saved and it actually was lower than before in some areas. I will load the Crystal benchmark and post my results.

It seems as if my system is running in SATA 1.5 mode!

Thanks again for all your help.

Notebook Deity

This is awful! Now you see why I think that something just is not right?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    CrystalDiskMark 3.0.1 (C) 2007-2010 hiyohiyo
    Crystal Dew World : Crystal Dew World
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    * MB/s = 1,000,000 byte/s [SATA/300 = 300,000,000 byte/s]

Sequential Read : 133.339 MB/s
    Sequential Write : 130.032 MB/s
    Random Read 512KB : 114.183 MB/s
    Random Write 512KB : 129.066 MB/s
    Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 12.812 MB/s [ 3127.9 IOPS]
    Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 26.894 MB/s [ 6565.9 IOPS]
    Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 87.178 MB/s [ 21283.6 IOPS]
    Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 64.319 MB/s [ 15703.0 IOPS]

Test : 1000 MB [C: 29.2% (69.6/238.4 GB)] (x5)
    Date : 2011/05/17 10:36:44
    OS : Windows 7 Ultimate Edition SP1 [6.1 Build 7601] (x86)

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast