Quantcast Why have SSD prices not droped?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    The orange end is cold...

Default Why have SSD prices not droped?

6 months ago I bought a WD 64gb SSD for ~$100 AC because it was an amazing deal at the time....

I was hoping that SSD prices would have dropped some by now, yes there are new "faster" ones out, but they are the same _____ price....

so, why have SSDs not dropped in price like every other PC component out there?

Notebook Evangelist

Default Re: Why have SSD pirces not droped?

I think its about the supply and demand,,when new technology comes out it has a premium price tag as supply and demand is low,,,as time goes on manufacturing economies start to catch up and thus supply is increased and the price gets lower,,couple this new models of the same technology,,the older technology demand drops as adoption of newer technology has started, thus the price drops on older technology----the leftovers,,,the price on newer tech SSD's will come down, however, the I think its still too early, for the companies to engage in price wars....

Looking deeper at this,,,its quite obvious that the economic model at work here, states clearly,,that when the "spot market" on parts to ssd's is oversupplied, buyers will up there quantity desired and lower there bid per unit(the SSD makers),,this is exactly what happened in the ddr ram chip market and why the prices came down so significantly there,the savings are passed on to the consumer ,I got into a conversation with a Seller of ram chips, a manager and he told me,,I knew more about it than he did,,,actually its just State University level economics and keeping your eyes open and your pencil sharp,,,,lol,, mv=pq ,,,anyone...

Cheers
    3Fees
    Last edited by 3Fees; 27th February 2011 at 09:11 PM.

Notebook Nobel Laureate

because people buy them.
    "I will always question your question. I know you won't like it. But it could help. It often does. It's at least worth a try. Consider it."
    davepermen.net relaunched, first album tracks available

Notebook Consultant

They have dropped in price for sure; depending on the SSD it could be by a lot, or by not such a significant amount. Right now there are still all the same SSD's out there, so there isn't going to be any reason for them to drop in price (once the new 2011 SSD's actually start making their way to the public, then the older SSD's will go on clearance as they will be old stock that needs to be gotten rid of). But until then there isn't going to be too many superb deals

The new SSD's will bring a cheaper cost per GB, for the first few months they will still be more expensive than last generation's SSD's; no getting around that fact (after all they are all businesses trying to make money)

Also, I hate to break it to you, but a faster drive for the same money IS getting more for your money (maybe you aren't saving more money, but you ARE getting a better product)
    Current: HP 2730p Win 7 & Linux Mint | Toshiba M4 | Motion M1400 renice 120GB SSD | ITRONIX IX-325 | Motion F5 (U7500 update) | Fujitsu P1620 | T4220 w/SXGA+ 160GB Intel X18-M & 1TB HDD in bay | broken TC4400 [for experimentation] | HP Slate 500 -commuting device | Lenovo LT1421 USB monitor | i5 3570K mITX desktop w/GTX460 | ASUS N10j
    Gone but not Forgotten: HP Tm2 | HP touchpad 32GB | 6-core desktop

Banned

Honestly, I think the memory companies milk everyone for everything they can, like the oil companies. Prices should have fallen far below where they are now, but instead enjoy a very slow, steady decline. Take it for what you will.

Notebook Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Honestly, I think the memory companies milk everyone for everything they can, like the oil companies. Prices should have fallen far below where they are now, but instead enjoy a very slow, steady decline. Take it for what you will.
    Memory companies are very different from oil companies. Other than airlines, I can't find an industry that is worse to put money in.

Notebook Deity

I bought my Nova 128GB last spring for about $300. I saw it this weekend (with rebate) for $168.

Notebook Virtuoso

They are falling. Slowly. The newer faster ones are the same price as the older slower ones.
    Chrome CR-48 Notebook

Notebook Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Honestly, I think the memory companies milk everyone for everything they can,
    That is called smart business.

Successful companies aren't in the habit of giving stuff away to be nice. Any company that doesn't maximize the amount of revenue that they generate will not be in business very long.
    Laptop Madness (w/unboxing pics): | 17 Second Boot - POST to Desktop | SSD Boots Windows 7 + Load 27 Apps in 1 Minute | SSD vs HDD Direct Comparison - Identical Drive Images
    Lenovo Y500 | Core i7-3630M | 16GB RAM | 256GB mSATA SSD + 1TB HDD | 2x GeForce 650M GPU (SLI) | 15.6" 1920x1080 Display | Etymotic ER-4P Headphones | 5.95lbs

Notebook Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by whitrzac View Post
    so, why have SSDs not dropped in price like every other PC component out there?
    Other PC components, like CPU's and GPU's, drop in price because of competition.

There is not very much competition in the SSD space, because there isn't a lot of demand in the SSD space. As much as the enthusiasts on forums like these talk about SSD's all day, the reality is that we are an absolutely tiny spec compared to the overall number of storage devices sold, because almost every computer sold ships with a mechanical hard drive. For example, Western Digital makes more in one quarter (~$2.45B) than the entire SSD market made in all of 2010 (~$1B).

What will drive down costs is higher demand. And what will create higher demand is when PC manufacturers start putting an SSD in the computers they ship out the door - much like what Apple is doing with the MacBook Air.
    Laptop Madness (w/unboxing pics): | 17 Second Boot - POST to Desktop | SSD Boots Windows 7 + Load 27 Apps in 1 Minute | SSD vs HDD Direct Comparison - Identical Drive Images
    Lenovo Y500 | Core i7-3630M | 16GB RAM | 256GB mSATA SSD + 1TB HDD | 2x GeForce 650M GPU (SLI) | 15.6" 1920x1080 Display | Etymotic ER-4P Headphones | 5.95lbs

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast