Quantcast Comodo vs Windows Firewall

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Notebook Deity

Default Comodo vs Windows Firewall

I was using NIS 2010 and then started using the 2011 version before I finally switched to MSE. Although in the task manager it uses around 65mb compared to about 10mb for NIS, the total amount of physical memory available is more with MSE (was NIS lying about it's memory usage?) and everything just seems smoother.

I've heard about Comodo firewall a lot and how great of a firewall it is, but I was wondering about how it's resource usage compared with the Windows firewall? I'm not sure how much memory Windows firewall uses, if someone could tell me, that would be great and I'd compare the two myself.

Thanks.
    HP Pavilion DM4 || i5-430m | 6GB DDR3 | 750GB 7200RPM | ATI 5450 ||

HP w2207h 22in | Klipsch Image S4 | Logitech MX1100 | HP Photosmart All-in-One |

God Amongst Mere Mortals

Default Re: Comodo vs Windows Firewall

I'm sure Hungry Man will comment on this shortly since he uses Comodo as well and got me to use it.

Basically, Comodo is very light and effective. I'm not exactly sure how light but I can tell you it is lighter than MSE and does not cause any type of system slow down. I have uninstalled MSE and use Comodo Defense+ and Firewall as well as MBAM, (Which I use to scan at least 5 times a week) and Firefox with No script, WoT, Ad-block plus, and HTTPS Everywhere. I have yet to see my system lagging or acquiring a virus.

I would recommend it to you over the standard version of Windows Firewall anyday since it does a good job of sandboxing and keeping out the nasties you don't want to acquire.

Notebook Deity

What's Comodo Defense+? Is that their antivirus?

HP w2207h 22in | Klipsch Image S4 | Logitech MX1100 | HP Photosmart All-in-One |

God Amongst Mere Mortals

No, you have to purchase Comodo in order to get the anti-virus, although there is a free one year trial going on for that but I would pick MSE over the Comodo AV.

Defense+ helps sandbox programs and limits which programs can do what. Basically, with Defense+ you can sandbox Javascript and break malware.

Notebook Deity

I see. I'd rather just use their Firewall along with MSE...
    Can you tell me how many MB Comodo is using in your resource manager? Thanks man. +rep.

Notebook Virtuoso

In terms of MB Comodo only ever uses about 6MB of RAM. It also has VERY low disk I/O and CPU.

Firewall technology hasn't really changed much in the last decade. What Comodo offers over Windows 7's Firewall is that it tracks outbound requests as well as inbound, as well as the standard packet inspection services you'll find in most every firewall that's been updated in the 2000's. The GUI is also easier to manage and you can configure how "loud" it is and how often it alerts you.

What's so good about Comodo's Firewall is that it comes with Defense+. Defense+, in my opinion, negates the need for antivirus software.

To explain this you have to understand what most antiviruses are made up of. MSE for example is very simply, you have a blacklist and heuristics. Both of these react to files that are downloaded/ on your computer and it either says "this file is on my list of bad files" or "this file seems likely to behave badly" and then it decides what to do based on those two decisions.

Defense+ takes unknown files and sandboxes them. This limits what these files are able to do based on which sandboxing scheme you decide on. This allows you to run software that may be malicious but it won't infect your system. If you run the software and it's unknown it is first scanned, in the cloud, by Comodo's blacklist and heuristics. If the malware somehow isn't picked up by Comodo (it happens sometimes, though in my own tests very rarely) and it continues to run it is still stuck in the sandbox, which prevents it from seriously harming you. You can always delete that specific sandbox and its contents and that will remove the malware.

Basically, it comes down to this:

Antiviruses are bloaty and reactive measures. Defense+ is a HIPS (host intrusion prevention system) and it uses barely any resources.

EDIT: It is also worth nothing that you can force applications into a sandbox. I personally have Java and Digsby and IE9 forced into a Limited sandbox. This means if any of those applications are exploited the malware/ hacker will have to then try to break out of the sandbox.

Attached is a screenshot of my task manager showing resource usage of Comodo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.PNG  
    Chrome CR-48 Notebook

Notebook Deity

Well, I've installed it. Seems like a sweet piece of software. It is however using around 14MB for some reason...maybe it goes down with time?

What settings are you using? I've got it on "safe mode."

I did keep MSE installed but disabled Windows firewall...

Notebook Virtuoso

It's maybe a bit higher because you just installed it and it's working on things? I don't know. I've never seen mine go beyond 8MB.

I have both my Firewall and Defense+ at Safe Mode. I have firewall alerts set to low.

Defense+ I have unrecognized files treated as Limited.

I have Java and Digsby sandboxed as Limited. I have IE9 and two Sony applications sandboxed as Partially Limited.

That's about all it takes in terms of setting up. You may have to whitelist some applications like games but otherwise it should work fairly quietly and effectively.
    Chrome CR-48 Notebook

Notebook Deity

That's basically what I had, but I have sandbox disabled...

It's dropped down to 4MB...this is pretty sick software guys.... i'd rep you but stupid thing says I've given out too much..I'll hit you up tom.

Notebook Virtuoso

Yup, Comodo is my favorite software for defending computers.

Play around with the settings and see what you like.

I used it with MSE for a while and then I realized that my antivirus was completely unnecessary.

I've literally downloaded dozens of malicious files and exploits and Comodo has prevented infection every single time.

To be fair I also have my default Downloads folder set to low integrity. But Java exploits were easy to deal with since I have java in a sandbox. I simply deleted the Java sandbox and that was it. Running scans with about 6 different very good scanners results in no results (I ran them in safe mode and normal mode just to be sure and even used RKill to make sure they were effective.)
    Chrome CR-48 Notebook

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast