Quantcast Someone hacked my Facebook account

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Deity

Default Someone hacked my Facebook account

When I logged into Facebook, Facebook told me someone in Detroit, MI logged into my Facebook account.

I am wondering how this happened.

I changed my password.

Has this happened to anyone else?

What else should I do?

Notebook Deity

Default Re: Someone hacked my Facebook account

Use https.
    First PC = Vic-20, 8" 128KB Home-Brew Floppy Drive ... Current Rig = eMachines m6805 ... Quantum Leap?

Notebook Demon

Don't use public info as part of your security setting.

Banned

That's really crazy. They'd have to be using the same pc as you or something. Or you would have to have left something crucial as your dogs name in your public information or something... Facebook these days is really secure...

If you log in from somewhere else it asks you a ton of questions about who you are to verify if it's you. I'd say this person doesn't like you and has done a lot of research on you or it's a close friend or something.

You can always get your pass sent back to you via your email but really you should be more careful or it will happen again. Maybe you made someone angry?

Honestly, usually only people who know you half as well as you know yourself can hack you. If you check in Facebook where you recently logged in from it'll tell you the computer name or resolved i.p. address of the person who logged in and even what browser they were using. That should help give you an idea of who it was.

All of this info can be found in 'Account Settings'.

AFK for a while...

Wasn't there proven videos/reports that logging into social networking sites using free WIFI (such as the one from your college) is extremely vulnerable?

I watched a news special showing this and the guy changed the relationship status of almost a dozen people through college WIFI. A girlfriend of one of the accounts that was altered replied within 15 minutes, angry at the status change made by the "hacker", which was pretty humorous.

Although this doesn't explain the change made by a guy in Michigan to a California account, but it goes to show you how unsecure free WIFI really is.
    Alienware M14X (Stealth Black)
    14" 1600x900 | i7-2670QM | GT 555M 1.5GB | 6GB | 750GB
    FL Studio 10 | Kontakt 5 | Komplete 7 | Axiom 25

G53JW Review | Sager NP8130 Review
    HTWingnut's Llano Overclock/Optimization Guide (CPU/GPU)

Banned

I've gotten into other peoples facebooks before and seriously (self confessed).. it's pretty hard these days, if not, getting totally impossible to get someone who you don't know really well at least.

Don't know about 'public'/free wifi being an issue. Unsecured wireless is always a security risk. Lets not go into that shall we. But these days like I said you need to know a lot about the person you who's account you want to get into before you can...

Facebook makes you ID the persons friends, tell you the persons exact birth date as well as enter any sort of security questions they have. Also if they have a phone number registered sometimes Fb wants you to enter a code that would have been sent to the original owners phone.. (which is obviously impossible unless you stole that too).

I'd say the 'hacker' at this point knows who the OP is pretty well.

Notebook Nobel Laureate

if you're on a public wireless, and don't use httpS://whatever, then everyone on that wireless can get your logon data unencrypted and use it for what ever they want.

there's even a firefox extension doing nothing else but checking out other people's logon informations in the same network.

other than that, there are regular attacks to nearly all accounts randomly. he might just have had bad luck (simple password?).
    "I will always question your question. I know you won't like it. But it could help. It often does. It's at least worth a try. Consider it."
    davepermen.net relaunched, first album tracks available

All ways are my ways.

I think there's fishy stuff going on with facebook.

I used to have mulitple accounts, none of which were accessed on public computers or public networks. One was my main, and the other 2 were for gaming. I'd stopped using the 2nd two for a while. Once last year, in the same week, both gave me messages upon logging in that the account had been phished. They claimed I must have clicked on something and given my info out. That was not possible. I've only once ever fallen for the phishing trick and that was over a decade ago.

Alienware m17x r4 | Stealth Black | i7-3720 | NVIDIA 680m | Crucial M4 512GB | Hitachi 7K750 | Full HD | 8GB Corsair Vengeance RAM | Blu Ray

Check out my Hitachi 7K750 benchmarks!
    Make the Win7 taskbar THINNER when on the side.

Notebook Evangelist

I'd echo others that this is likely from a free WiFi access point. So many people I know have had their Facebooks, Gmail etc hacked lately - all of them had either used their laptop in a cafe, or set their smartphone to use whatever wireless it could find to check their email so they could save their data plan (BAD idea).

It's worth noting that even if you log in via https you are not entirely safe, but it takes a vastly more sophisticated attack to compromise you, which is operated by the owner of the access point (as opposed to http access, where anyone sat in the same Starbucks can fish your login details with no effort at all)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by davepermen View Post
    there's even a firefox extension doing nothing else but checking out other people's logon informations in the same network.
    Firefox extension reveals Facebook and Twitter logins | Technology | guardian.co.uk

OP could have used 'plain text' login. If he did then he/she deserves what he/she got. Point is though the plug-in no longer works with pretty much every single website that it used to support including facebook the creator got his point across.
    Last edited by Zeptinune; 9th March 2011 at 08:00 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast