Quantcast Any reliable Free Anti-Virus/Internet Security?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Notebook Consultant

Default Any reliable Free Anti-Virus/Internet Security?

I am awaiting my new laptop, and was wondering if there are ant reliable free Anti-Virus software out there? I am sick of spending $60 every year, such a rip off. After spending $2000 on a new laptop, I'm trying to cut costs wherever I can. Any input is appreciated, thanks.
    Asus G73JH-A1| 17.3" Full HD (1920x1080) | Intel® i7-720QM | 8GB DDR3 1333 RAM | ATI Mobility Radeon 5870 1GB GDDR5 | Intel® X25-M 80GB SATA II SSD| 500GB SATA II HD | Bluray | Built-in Intel® Advanced-N 6200 Wireless Card

Emodicon

Default Re: Any reliable Free Anti-Virus/Internet Security?

Microsoft Security Essentials is a good choice, in my mind it's pretty much on par with Norton Antivirus 2010, which I would venture to say is the best paid AV.

Another good choice to check out is Avira, although personally I prefer MSE over it.

Notebook Deity

May i suggest Avast 5.0 its low on resources, great virus detection, and overall great User Interface....avast! - Download Free Antivirus Software or Internet Security
    Alienware M15x//15.6 LED//Intel i7 Q 740//ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5850//320 HD//4GB RAM//64 Bit Windows 7-3dmark06:13210

Hp Mini 311// Atom N270@2.20 GHZ Modded Bios//2GB RAM//64GB SSD/Full ION//Windows 7-3dmark06:1770

Notebook Virtuoso

Out of the free ones, you have the following 3 antivirus programs that are the best (rated by highest detection rates):

1. MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials)
    2. & 3. Avast5 and Avira10 (equal in detection rates).

All 3 programs in question are small (they do not slow the system down), highly effective in detection rates and removal of threats (on par with most 'quality paid solutions').

I use MSE for over 6 months now, and I find it VERY effective.
    Haven't had problems of any kind (and most of the people, after I replaced their paid solutions with these free ones, have been very grateful since now they don't have to pay for anything and their computers are actually protected in a competent capacity).

Bottom lines is: you don't have to pay for protection programs anymore because the free alternatives are more than enough.

P.S. Stay away from AVG for the moment (it has a low detection rate and slows the system down in both free and paid forms)
    Acer Aspire 5930G - 15"
    CPU: T9600 (1.05V)RAM: 8GB-DDR2/800Mhz SSD: 128GB Kingston V300 HDD: HITACHI TRAVLSTAR 7K500 GPU: 9600M GT GDDR3 (0.89V) Chipset: PM45 (BIOS: 1.23) OS: Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate x64

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Deks View Post
    Out of the free ones, you have the following 3 antivirus programs that are the best (rated by highest detection rates):

1. MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials)
    2. & 3. Avast5 and Avira10 (equal in detection rates).

All 3 programs in question are small (they do not slow the system down), highly effective in detection rates and removal of threats (on par with most 'quality paid solutions').

I use MSE for over 6 months now, and I find it VERY effective.
    Haven't had problems of any kind (and most of the people, after I replaced their paid solutions with these free ones, have been very grateful since now they don't have to pay for anything and their computers are actually protected in a competent capacity).

Bottom lines is: you don't have to pay for protection programs anymore because the free alternatives are more than enough.

P.S. Stay away from AVG for the moment (it has a low detection rate and slows the system down in both free and paid forms)
    Thanks for the insight. I'm going to go with Microsoft Essentials when my laptop first arrives. I'm pleased that I don't have to throw out $60 a year ! Thanks again!
    Asus G73JH-A1| 17.3" Full HD (1920x1080) | Intel® i7-720QM | 8GB DDR3 1333 RAM | ATI Mobility Radeon 5870 1GB GDDR5 | Intel® X25-M 80GB SATA II SSD| 500GB SATA II HD | Bluray | Built-in Intel® Advanced-N 6200 Wireless Card

Notebook Deity

I have MSE, Avast, and Private firewall installed and use Malwarebytes as a scanner; after much research and trial and error.

Notebook Prophet

Quote Originally Posted by luee View Post
    I have MSE, Avast,
    Using two security programs simultaneously doesn't make any sense, unless you have turned off real-time protection in one of the programs.

NBR Super Pink Princess

A force with the power to dispense both justice and punishment...
    We are the police, jury and executioner all in one.
    NBR Rules Compliance Enforcement Division
    RIP Elizabeth

Wanderer

Could check out Comodo Internet Suite. The AV is not the best, but Firewall + HIPS + Defense+ means it's unlikely anything will ever even hit the AV. It can be a real pain to configure properly though.
    Odds are, you're doing it wrong.

Previous: Dell Inspiron e1505
    CC Replacement (current): Dell Studio 1558 || Core i7 720QM, 4GB, 1GB ATI HD5470, 1366x768 LED
    Beater netbook (sold): Aspire One AOA150-1570

Daily Carry Gadgetry: Moto Droid X || Asus TF201 Transformer Prime 32GB

Notebook user

^Agreed, a HIPS like in Comodo or Online Armor is a very strong security layer if not one of the best.

The main issue with setting up a HIPS is that you have to be sure that the computer is clean when installing it.
    That way you can configure the HIPS without much hassle.
    Otherwise it can become an annoying and tedious 'rite de passage' with near endless popups if you have to accord every single piece of software yourself.

Another strong layer of security software is using a sandbox like SandboxIE.
    You can safely (for instance) put your browser in the sandbox or download and install a program in the sandbox and try it out.
    When you close/empty the sandbox, changes made during the browser session or by installing the downloaded program will be erased.

Another simple and strong measure is using a LUA/Limited User Account to do your common stuff (as in, not installing programs), not an administrator account with UAC.
    That way, malware (at least the major bulk) can only affect your computer at user level, not admin level.
    And the most simple and strong layer is using common sense of course.
    ROMANES EUNT DOMUS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast