Quantcast What is best/light Internet Security software?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Notebook Deity

Lr What is best/light Internet Security software?

I've been using Kaspersky Internet Security since version 7.0 and now using 2010.. and I noticed it is the reason for lag/boot time on Windows 7.

I ran Soluto and it says Kaspersky takes up 30 sec of boot time.. so I went to Service to set it to Automatic(Set Delay) but it won't let me do that - saying some kind of error (does anyone know)? It won't let me disable them on msconfig/ccleaner too.

One thing I noticed in next few hours is the time it takes to search.. such as pressing Windows logo button on the bottom left and searching for a software.. It took quite awhile (perhaps as long as 5 seconds) with Kaspersky enabled... once disabled, search result appears right away.

I think it might be time to move to different software.

I haven't been looking up much into internet security ever since Kaspersky 7.0 days so I'm not too sure what's good and not..

Is Microsoft one any good? Only other software I can remember is Panda (not sure if it still exist) and Avira.

Notebook Virtuoso

Default Re: What is best/light Internet Security software?

Panda still exists indeed, but it's based on cloud type of service.

Out of the 3 top free antivirus solutions, I would recommend the following:
    Microsoft Security Essentials,
    Avast 5,
    Avira.

As of latest, MSE seems to have the highest detection rate, but truth be told either one of those will be just fine.

All 3 are light, and highly effective (on par with all paid solutions if you ask me - however, having NOT experienced problems with viruses and the programs catching various nasties speaks for itself).

I would have to say though that Avira has annoying pop-ups and ads (which can be disabled if I'm not mistaken).

MSE doesn't do anything of the sort on the other hand (you just install and forget about it) and Avast only notifies you it updated itself, although you can disable that notification.

Neither will slow your computer down.

I'm personally using MSE (Microsoft Security Essentialls) on all computers in the household, and I've introduced it to various other people who have since had 0 issues (with either viruses, speed and whatnot).

In short, paid solutions are not really needed.

Kapersky is indeed notorious for it's resource hogging and bogging down the system.
    On the other hand, I think it's the best in terms of detection rates and protection on the market (as far as paid solutions go).

If you want a paid solution (although I seriously recommend against it because it's not necessary), then you might as well go with the latest Norton Internet Security suite (they cleaned up their act with the past 2 versions and is not bogging down the system like it used to).
    Acer Aspire 5930G - 15"
    CPU: T9600 (1.05V)RAM: 8GB-DDR2/800Mhz SSD: 128GB Kingston V300 HDD: HITACHI TRAVLSTAR 7K500 GPU: 9600M GT GDDR3 (0.89V) Chipset: PM45 (BIOS: 1.23) OS: Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate x64

Notebook Deity

I noticed Kaspersky released 2011 version so I'll try that first and see how much it has changed since I still have more than 150 days of license left.

Emodicon

Kaspersky is quite heavy on system resources (running it on one of my desktops, since I got it for free) - I would recommend looking at either Norton Antivirus 2010 (very lightweight, and nearly unbeatable performance/detection rates) or Microsoft Security Essentials.

Notebook Virtuoso

I use moved from Avira, tested Avast! and now have moved to MSE. MSE is light, unobtrusive and, well, seems to do its job well. Also, as Deks (in his post above) mentioned, currently MSE seems to have the highest detection rates. That plus the Windows Firewall and safe surfing would appear to be a good combination.

Notebook Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by strangesweet View Post
    I noticed Kaspersky released 2011 version so I'll try that first and see how much it has changed since I still have more than 150 days of license left.
    Respectfully, I wouldn't.
    Even their 2011 version is a resource hog.
    If you want a paid solution that doesn't hog your system resources, then get Norton antivirus 2010.

If on the other hand you don't want to pay for anything and retain a fast system while having an equal level of protection with a paid solution (such as Norton), use MSE or Avast5 (Avira I'd rather avoid actually for now due to it's annoying popup ads and high false positive rates).

As I said earlier, paid antivirus solutions are not needed next to a variety of open source ones that are just as effective and do not slow the system down.
    Acer Aspire 5930G - 15"
    CPU: T9600 (1.05V)RAM: 8GB-DDR2/800Mhz SSD: 128GB Kingston V300 HDD: HITACHI TRAVLSTAR 7K500 GPU: 9600M GT GDDR3 (0.89V) Chipset: PM45 (BIOS: 1.23) OS: Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate x64

qhn
    Notebook User

Comodo +Avast, then Avast alone, currently exclusive MSE and default Windows Firewall. It simply works.

cheers ...
    m6805 @3700 & sz71WN/C & macbook 2ghz - 4/250gb - superdrive & 7811FX

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Deks View Post

If on the other hand you don't want to pay for anything and retain a fast system while having an equal level of protection with a paid solution (such as Norton), use MSE or Avast5 (Avira I'd rather avoid actually for now due to its high false positive rates.
    According to the last AV-Comparatives false positives test, MSE had 3 and Avast and Avira both had 11. I can understand recommending MSE if having an extremely low number of false positives is important to you, but you criticize Avira for "high false positive rates" and then recommend Avast which had the exact same number of false positives. How can one FP score be acceptable (Avast), but the same exact FP score be unacceptable (Avira)?

Notebook Consultant

I got to give a nod to the Norton 2010 version. I get it for free from Comcast and I'm quite impressed by it. Very low on system resources and good protection. Was worried at first before installing it because of my previous experiences with Norton. But they have really made their product much much better then previous versions.
    Alienware M17x-R2 Space Black
    17" 1900x1200 RGB LED / Intel i7 820QM / 8GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz/ CrossFire-X ATi 5870M / 160GB Intel X-25M SSD G2 / Blu-ray / Intel Wireless-N

Apple rMBP Late 2013
    Intel i7 2.3GHz / Nvidia 750m 2GB GDDR5 /16GB RAM / 512GB SSD

Wanderer

Comodo AV on its own is weak, but Comodo Defense+ (HIPS) takes care of any problems that pop up, if you're willing to configure it properly. Bit of a pain, but it was absolutely solid when I was running the full suite (AV, FW, Defense+)

I'm presently using MSE and Win7 FW just to test out the load, seems to have no real background impact so far. When it's running scheduled scans, things bog down slightly, but what AV doesn't slow things down?
    Odds are, you're doing it wrong.

Previous: Dell Inspiron e1505
    CC Replacement (current): Dell Studio 1558 || Core i7 720QM, 4GB, 1GB ATI HD5470, 1366x768 LED
    Beater netbook (sold): Aspire One AOA150-1570

Daily Carry Gadgetry: Moto Droid X || Asus TF201 Transformer Prime 32GB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast