Quantcast How safe is doing bank transactions on a WIFI hotspot ?

Closed Thread
    Notebook Deity

Default How safe is doing bank transactions on a WIFI hotspot ?

Assuming you are connected directly to a legit spot and not indirectly via a hacker ...

https:// connection is standard with all banks

Is this less safe than your local Wifi connection at home ?

1 hr late but moving fast

Default Re: How safe is doing bank transactions on a WIFI hotspot ?

The SSL layer will protect you, but there are always prying eyes looking at you, and there is a possibility that someone is capturing all of the data that's going from your computer to the router (yes, it might be farfetched, but I always think the worst in public places). Unless absolutely necessary, I would not do any secure banking/buying/etc in a public place.

Here's a tutorial for safe surfing at hotspots:

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials...le.php/3825266

At first glance, it looks like pretty good info.
    If you have a problem, do everyone a huge favor: post the exact error message. Don't abbreviate or paraphrase.
    New to forums? You really should view this video!

XPS 15 L502x: Core i7-2670QM, 8GB RAM, Intel HD4000 + nVidia GeForce GT 540M , Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260, 180GB Intel SSD, Windows 8 x64 Pro with Media Center

Dark Lord of the Sith

Has anyone ever used this: http://www.anchorfree.com/downloads/hotspot-shield/

It was a suggestion on that wi-fi link.
    It is not our job here to tell people how to run their computer. It is our job here to help people with their problems. They can run it how they want. If you don't want to help, then just don't post. It's our job to help people if we can. If not, spare everyone the smart remarks and the waste of space. It's ridiculous.

Notebook Virtuoso

My personal opinion but I would NEVER do banking transactions at a public Wifi spot. Even though you might feel that the hotspot is legit, you never know and you have no idea of their network topology or who is watching/sniffing packets etcs. I would only do banking transactions on your own personal network and would do it wired rather than wireless. Even WPA protection was just broken recently and very quickly and easily(though it took the researchers some work on how to do it initially).

Notebook Evangelist

I don't know how safe it is but I would never take the risk because you could loose valuable information and you could end up losing thousands! Bank transaction should only be made from your own network,
    My Rig - |Factor Gaming - Sager NP9280|
    17" WUXGA (1920x1200) - Core i7 920 (2.66GHz x4) - nVidia Geforce GTX 280m (1GB Total GDDR3) - 6GB SODIMM DDR3 1066MHZ - 3X 320GB SATA HDD (RAID-5) - Blu-Ray CD/DVD Combo Burner - Vista Ultimate
    Factor Gaming - Gaming Laptops

Notebook Nobel Laureate

I do it at my University all the time, but it's not exactly a public network because you need to log-on using Cisco Clean Access Agent.
    Sony Vaio S13 - i5-3210M - 6GB - 750GB - Win 8

It's probably not dangerous at all, but it's really unnecessary. I'm sure that you can find the time to complete transactions from your house or office - this way you won't have to run the risk of any third-party monitoring or computer hackers gaining your details. If you need to make a transaction from a public WiFi location, ensure that you've got good personal protection including a decent firewall (try Comodo if you don't already have one). Also, common sense would tell you that you should check out the WiFi spot prior to going online - make sure that there isn't an excessively large amount of people in the area. I know that you won't always be able to find everyone, but it's worth doing regardless.
    If you're experiencing any troubles, or would just like to chat, don't hesitate to send me a message.
    MSN Handler: Massive_720@Hotmail.com

Regards,
    Freeze.

1 hr late but moving fast

WPA protection is not SSL, and it was not broken easily. In fact, WPA was not broken, but instead a vulnerability was discovered with TKIP, and by using AES a network is not vulnerable to the Tews/Beck flaw. Anyone using WPA2/AES has no reason to worry.

In a public hotspot, where there is quite possibly no security protection at all, SSL will encrypt and protect all secure website processing.
    If you have a problem, do everyone a huge favor: post the exact error message. Don't abbreviate or paraphrase.
    New to forums? You really should view this video!

XPS 15 L502x: Core i7-2670QM, 8GB RAM, Intel HD4000 + nVidia GeForce GT 540M , Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260, 180GB Intel SSD, Windows 8 x64 Pro with Media Center