Quantcast Stuck on Boot Manager! Samsung NP900X4D A03 - Page 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Notebook Guru

Default Re: Stuck on Boot Manager! Samsung NP900X4D A03

I finally got Win8 installed on the Crucial SSD. But no getting in to Bios setup..
    I tried clearing CMOS (both with & without SSD installed) and changing back to my U100 SSD, which still boots fine, still getting in to Bios setup however..
    I'm done for tonight...

Sony Vaio Pro 13 | i7-4500U | Windows 8 | 4GB RAM | 128 GB SSD

Samsung Series 9 NP900X4D | Elementary OS x64 UEFI | 8GB RAM | Crucial M4 256GB SSD
    Samsung ARM Series 3 Chromebook
    ASUS UL30VT | Windows 7 x64 | 4GB RAM | Samsung 830 64GB SSD

Quote Originally Posted by booze87 View Post
    Replacing a hard drive shouldn't void the warranty. But that doesn't matter, I also tried to remove and replace the SSD. It had the effect that the boot menu displayed some seconds earlier.

If the CMOS-reset won't help, Samsung has to help me ;-)
    Unfortunately it does according to their terms

BUT... they specifically write, "exchanging the HDD voids the warranty because you must dismantle the laptop to access it."

You could say that you never exchanged the HDD, only that you opened it to look for a way to reset the BIOS, and it literally says "exchanging the HDD voids the warranty"....

Edit: In that case you might also have better luck going directly to the place you bought it from, if it's a large store chain. They might be less inclined to notice or care about something like that before shipping a replacement.
    Last edited by trodgor577; 17th January 2013 at 05:31 PM.

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by trodgor577 View Post
    Edit: In that case you might also have better luck going directly to the place you bought it from, if it's a large store chain. They might be less inclined to notice or care about something like that before shipping a replacement.
    After the return period of a machine is up, retailers won't get involved.

Notebook Guru

@booze87
    Did you try a Bios upgrade/downgrade?

Samsung Series 9 NP900X4D | Elementary OS x64 UEFI | 8GB RAM | Crucial M4 256GB SSD

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Thors.Hammer View Post
    After the return period of a machine is up, retailers won't get involved.
    In Germany the retailer is your partner for returns in warranty issues or you contact the manufacturer directly.
    I put the original sandisk SSD back... I think that they shouldn't recognize it. If CMOS clean doesn't help I'll drive to the retailer. Date of purchase is the 4th of january this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnick69
    Did you try a Bios upgrade/downgrade?
    it's the latest version. But I'm not getting through the Boot Manager. When I press the ESC-button the laptop restarts.

Notebook Guru

Quote Originally Posted by booze87 View Post
    it's the latest version. But I'm not getting through the Boot Manager. When I press the ESC-button the laptop restarts.
    I have a former Bios file P03APK, which I'll try if I dare, I'm afraid it might do more damage if I try roll back the Bios. Before installing Win8 on my Crucial I could boot from USB, otherwise I might be able to do the roll back in Windows.

I'm in Denmark, I'll probably install the Sandisk too and contact the retailer or Samsung.
    Let me know if you get any solution from yours, I'll of course do the same.

Moderately inquisitive

There have been a number of Series 5, 7 and 9 boot issues in the last few months, most likely related to Windows 8 and UEFI, so Samsung shouldn't be surprised by another occurrence. As long as the hardware in the computer is what Samsung supplied then they should fix it. They don't do a forensic examination to see if the computer has been opened. Trying to install Linux is one of the causes of BIOS problems should they ask how it happened so there's no need to mention that you were trying to swap the SSD.

John

Notebook Guru

So I called Samsung support and they came with the solution that works for me.
    They say that when using UEFI you can't enter Bios settings using F2, but you can this way:

In Windows 8 go to Charms menu, Settings, Change PC settings, General, Advanced start-up, Restart, Restart now, Troubleshoot Advanced options, UEFI firmware settings, restart.

Voilá, BIOS settings menu appears!

Notebook Enthusiast

Bad for those who can't load Windows :-P
    I called Samsung and they'll send a return ticket for UPS to me within 24hrs.

But @Sunday I'll try if my CMOS-reset works or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnick69 View Post
    So I called Samsung support and they came with the solution that works for me.
    They say that when using UEFI you can't enter Bios settings using F2, but you can this way:

In Windows 8 go to Charms menu, Settings, Change PC settings, General, Advanced start-up, Restart, Restart now, Troubleshoot Advanced options, UEFI firmware settings, restart.

Voilá, BIOS settings menu appears!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sputnick69 View Post

In Windows 8 go to Charms menu, Settings, Change PC settings, General, Advanced start-up, Restart, Restart now, Troubleshoot Advanced options, UEFI firmware settings, restart
    Or you open charms, settings, shutdown hold SHIFT and click on restart. ;-)

Gesendet von meinem Galaxy Nexus mit Tapatalk 2

Notebook Enthusiast

It didn't work for me to reset CMOS settings via unplugging the CMOS battery and waiting for >48hrs.

Next option: use the RMA ticket and let Samsung repair my laptop...

Guys, sometime you have to believe in your wife's words...
    She said "Why don't you try pressing F4 to recover as the Samsung guy said?"

I pressed F4 for recovery on Friday but nothing happened. But I think that the disconnection of power was the key...

Nethertheless, Samsung Recovery works now!
    I'll see if I can fill the boot entries now. Thank you for your suggestions

Update:

Samsung Recovery recovered the system partition but it didn't recovered BIOS settings.
    Same problem now - no boot entries!

D##n it...

Problem is that fast boot is enabled but I don't have any chance to deactivate it without loading Windows. That's hilarious! not...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast