Quantcast Samsung BIOS Update Problems

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Samsung BIOS Update Problems

Moderately inquisitive

Default Samsung BIOS Update Problems

A few people have reported problems with the latest BIOS updates causing their computers to hang. Here, here and here for example.

So I think it could be beneficial to start a specific thread to try to identify the causes of the problem and the solutions.

First I should note that I have, with a little trepidation, updated the BIOS on both my NP900X3B and NP900X4C today, but it went smoothly. However (and this may be the reason) I downloaded the BIOS updates using the BIOSupdate.exe program (called "Update Software") which is available from the Samsung download centre. This program provides the option to run the update or download it. I opted for the latter. I then ran the update (right-click As Administrator) within Windows. The update then opens a DOS window showing a simple progress graphic. After this there is a prompt to restart the computer.

How have those people who have had BIOS update problems done the updates? Is is using SW Updater? And how does the BIOS update process in SW Update work: Does it run within Windows or reboot the computer first?

John

PS: And for those whose computers with internal batteries which won't start after a failed BIOS update, there is a battery reset hole.

PPS: The new BIOS should have the same last 3 letters in the name as the old one which normally don't change during the production of a particular model (there are exceptions - Windows 7 NP900C4Cs have P**AAC while Windows 8 NP900X4Cs have P**ABK). It seems that the BIOS Update program occasionally finds the wrong newer BIOS. This is what it offered me on 1st April:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wrong BIOS Update.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	110714

Re-running the BIOS Update program resulted in the correct BIOS being offered.

Notebook Enthusiast

I used samsung's sw updater.
    I've repeatedly had problems with it - telling me that an update was available - but then the update failed, it's often taken several tries to get the update to succeed - it's really too bad, because it's a beautiful machine.

Sent from my SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Moderately inquisitive

Default Re: Samsung BIOS Update Problems

Quote Originally Posted by shaggyskunk View Post
    I used samsung's sw updater.
    I've repeatedly had problems with it - telling me that an update was available - but then the update failed, it's often taken several tries to get the update to succeed - it's really too bad, because it's a beautiful machine.
    Failed updates is a separate issue. I also encountered that problem today and it was a serious problem about a month ago. I think the guy whose job is to stoke the boiler that runs the engine that powers the server has taken some holiday. Or maybe they just didn't anticipate the traffic arising from a million Samsung notebooks concurrently trying to download bloated (they tend to include 32 and 64 bit) update installers.

My recommendation for the BIOS update is to use the separate BIOS update program. However, there's no easy alternative to using SW Update for most updates because they aren't on the download pages for most of the notebooks (but this is an exception).

John

Notebook Consultant

I just tried updating the BIOS on my NP900X3C using SW Update and it failed 3 out of 3 times, each time freezing at a different spot when showing the progress display in the DOS window. I had to stick a pin in the reset hole each time to recover.

Then I tried BIOSUpdate.exe like John suggested and it worked the first time.

After the BIOS update my U100 wouldn't boot anymore, although it was showing up as the only boot device in the list. I had to re-enable UEFI mode in the BIOS (it gets reset to default after the update) in order to get it to boot again. I enabled UEFI before I did a clean install of Windows 8 and it's required in order to boot now. Still not sure what it does...

Notebook Enthusiast

Thanks for the information! Samsung needs a swift kick! You can decide where

It's unconscionable that the tech that I spoke to - had only two options - power button or ups! I'm happy that I figured out that tiny reset hole ;-)

Notebook Evangelist

I've used Samsung's BIOSUpdate.exe at least half a dozen times, both as install and download, and never had issues with either. Have never tried updating through the SW Update.

Notebook Enthusiast

I updated my Series 7 bios through SW Update in windows 7 in anticipation of installing windows 8 on 11/26. The update bios update went fine. I installed windows 8 and all the other drivers through SW Update the same day. Anyway, today, SW Update is failing on everything saying there is a problem with the network.
    Samsung Series 7 NP700Z5B-W01UB Refurbished - 256GB Crucial M4 SSD

Notebook Enthusiast

My series 9 15 got stuck while updating the bios too. Disconnecting the battery using the pinhole and re plugging the power cable solved the problem. Looks like Samsung built some kind of internal mechanism to restore the bios.

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by texqas View Post
    My series 9 15 got stuck while updating the bios too. Disconnecting the battery using the pinhole and re plugging the power cable solved the problem. Looks like Samsung built some kind of internal mechanism to restore the bios.
    It seems so - But it REALLY *BLANKS* me OFF on at least two levels! 1)That Samsung is releasing the bios update in it's current state 2)That they are NOT informing ALL of their tech support of the possible solution - I wonder how many pcs have been shipped back to Samsung for needless warranty claims?
    For an otherwise terrific company, this is beyond inexcusable!

I've sent Samsung an email, followed up with a phone call - I would urge all that have experienced frustration / errors to do the same :thumbup:

Notebook Consultant

What is the current BIOS running? I haven't seen any new BIOS updates released through SW update.

Edit: I just ran SW Update and found the new BIOS update. I restarted the computer before opening SW update again and then updating the BIOS. It downloaded and installed promptly. Then it prompted for a reboot. Windows initialized and after logging back in SW Update finished the BIOS flash. I am now running version P05AAC. I'll respond with any issues if they pop up, but the computer is running fine. I did have to turn the Battery Life Extender back on.

I am running windows 8.
    Last edited by Mervyn Peake; 28th November 2012 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Updated information

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast