Quantcast Series 7 Gamer NP700G7C RAM Upgrade - Page 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default Re: Series 7 Gamer NP700G7C RAM Upgrade

The keyboard is easy to remove. Take off the one screw on th ebottom, then the left side is held on with sticky tape so yuo can carefully pry that up. With that said let me save you all the trouble and say the RAM is not accessable with keyboard removed and a full disassembly will be needed.

I am sticking with 24 GIG for now but this was a disappointment. I am using as a portable VM server so really need to get the 32 GIG installed at some point.

With that said this is the only disapointment I have with this machine. Fantastic screen that simply blows away my MacBook pro screen, and any other I have seen on a laptop. Nice keyboard for typing, fast boot and I have a 512 SDD in here along with one of the 750's so this thing smokes as a portable server and gaming machine combo.

Default Re: Series 7 Gamer NP700G7C RAM Upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Bergman View Post
    ... With that said let me save you all the trouble and say the RAM is not accessable with keyboard removed and a full disassembly will be needed.

I am sticking with 24 GIG for now but this was a disappointment. I am using as a portable VM server so really need to get the 32 GIG installed at some point.
    That is the same conclusion I came to. Glad to see I'm not the only one who I using it for such a purpose I asked around about the possibility of higher RAM densities and a crucial rep told me that there will likely be 16GB SODIMM sticks on the market relatively soon, though they will of course be quite expensive initially. They already exist in full-size DIMM form factor. I will stay on 24GB until then or until I find someone who is competent enough to safely disassemble and reassemble the machine.

In the meantime, my second SSD arrived (Crucual 512GB), and while it is not as fast as my Vertex 4, it is still plenty fast and has enough space that getting rid of the regular HDD was possible. I was pleased to find that windows (when configured with 2 pagefiles) will load-balance between the two drives, making swapping even less painful. At this point the machine stays quite zippy even with 30GB of VMs running. Some things do suffer occasionally like launching programs inside rarely used VMs since they are almost entirely swapped out, but my media no longer skips and things remain fast as ever on the host.

On the whole I am very pleased indeed with this machine. It is finally possible to forgo remote desktop and work at full speed wherever I happen to be.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12