Quantcast Series 7 NP700Z3AH Fan noise -abnormally loud?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default Series 7 NP700Z3AH Fan noise -abnormally loud? - UPDATED

Hey all,

Samsung sent me a NP700Z3AH after I shipped my QX411 back and forth numerous times.

It seems I've inherited another laptop with issues. I've been browsing your forum the past few weeks and I decided to sign up and see what some of you think or if you are experiencing the same issue.

I've included a video clip taken late at night in a quiet room so you can hear the idle fan noise. It seems like a constant whooshing sound even in silent mode. It seems like cooling would be an issue from the design and my unit only has a single fan compared to the larger laptops with 2. But macbooks have a similar design and are very quiet.

New video recordings: 4-25-2012 record 01

4-25-2012 Record 02

4-25-2012 Record 03

In the one video I ramp up the fans by running prime95. In one video I go from standby to on and allow you to hear the fan. Basically the issue is, in a quiet room, I can be 5ft away and still hear the fan or noise. Even with silent mode it's noisy. Is it the hard drive spinning or the fan?

Old Link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9534475/Vide...%2015%20AM.mov

I also noticed my laptop was thermal throttling when I first got it. If I ran prime 95 it was hitting 95C and then dialing down the clock speed. Since then, I followed someones dis-assembly guide and ended up replacing the thermal paste with some I own. That seems to help. I've got some screenshots I can upload if need be. The unit now idles around 40-49C and when I ran prime95 It maxed out around 78-81C which is much more comfortable and kept the clockspeed up around 2.5ghz.

Thanks all
    Last edited by motherfo; 9th May 2012 at 01:27 PM. Reason: updating with more videos

Notebook Enthusiast

Default Re: Series 7 NP700Z3AH Fan noise -abnormally loud?

I've posted some updated videos to help get a response from everyone.

Thank you

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ

what's the temperatures using HWinfo64?

Notebook Consultant

Yes. I just got one for my wife, and I'm sorry to say that it runs hot and the fans, in normal mode, just keep running. I wonder if it's a bad unit and if I should either return it or disassemble and use better thermal paste. I put it on quiet mode, with the fan running constantly at low speed, and it seems to be running up in to the mid- and upper-50-deg range when doing basically nothing.

Notebook Consultant

My S7 is basically silent when used for basic tasks (web surfing, MS Office work, etc.). I only hear the fan kick in when under significant load (gaming, mainly). Even then, it's not that loud.

Sounds like you got a faulty unit (no pun intended).
    Samsung NP700Z5A-S03CA 15.6", Intel Core i7-2675QM, 8GB RAM, 7mm 256GB Crucial M4 SSD, 750GB Samsung 5400RPM HDD, AMD Radeon 6750M 1GB

Notebook Guru

the fan is running in silent mode too, but very silent, I can only hear it if I am very close to the notebook.(ssd)

Theres seems to be a strange bug with the audio driver, sometimes there is white-noise-kinda sound coming from the speakers which I mistook for fan noise at first. This persists even after a reboot. If I play a loud sound for 1-2 seconds it disappears.

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius 1 View Post
    Temps are the same as with HWmonitor. 45-50ish idle

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius 1 View Post
    Same as hwmonitor 45-55 idle/basic usage.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasman View Post
    Yes. I just got one for my wife, and I'm sorry to say that it runs hot and the fans, in normal mode, just keep running. I wonder if it's a bad unit and if I should either return it or disassemble and use better thermal paste. I put it on quiet mode, with the fan running constantly at low speed, and it seems to be running up in to the mid- and upper-50-deg range when doing basically nothing.
    Did you get her the 14"? I disassembled and changed the thermal paste which helped fix the thermal throttling when running prime95, it also lowered my idle temps by about 10c, but it's still hot...and loud...ugh

Quote Originally Posted by Ephelant View Post
    My S7 is basically silent when used for basic tasks (web surfing, MS Office work, etc.). I only hear the fan kick in when under significant load (gaming, mainly). Even then, it's not that loud.

Sounds like you got a faulty unit (no pun intended).
    You have the 15" with two fans though?

Quote Originally Posted by ultrah View Post
    the fan is running in silent mode too, but very silent, I can only hear it if I am very close to the notebook.(ssd)

Theres seems to be a strange bug with the audio driver, sometimes there is white-noise-kinda sound coming from the speakers which I mistook for fan noise at first. This persists even after a reboot. If I play a loud sound for 1-2 seconds it disappears.
    Do you have the 14"? Did you put an SSD in yourself?

Notebook Guru

Quote Originally Posted by motherfo View Post
    Do you have the 14"? Did you put an SSD in yourself?
    yes to both questions.

the disassembly guide for the 15" model applies to the 14" version too

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ultrah View Post
    yes to both questions.

the disassembly guide for the 15" model applies to the 14" version too
    Did it make your unit quieter?

I can hear mine in a quiet room 5 ft away from the unit. Part of me is unsure if it's the hard drive or the fan noise.

Also, does this white noise happen when the speakers are muted?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast