Quantcast Samsung Series 5 - Unable to boot from USB

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Samsung Series 5 - Unable to boot from USB

I bought and installed a Series 5 and now I'm having a weird problem: I installed replaced Windows with Ubuntu and installed it with a bootable USB drive, but now I can't seem to boot from USB anymore, even when using an external CD player. The BIOS seems to be ignoring whatever I change on the boot order and goes straight to Ubuntu boot. I haven't used the USB 3.0 drive, as I read somewhere it isn't bootable.

The problem is I have an issue with my Ubuntu installation and really need to boot from USB/CD to repair it...

Am I missing something?
    Last edited by t3mujin; 17th April 2012 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Added extra text

I had same issue, you need to change somthg in bios, tommorow Ill be at work and I will write you that to change

Sent from my GT-P6800 using Tapatalk 2

Notebook Geek

Default Re: Samsung Series 5 - Unable to boot from USB

is fastboot option enabled in bios? if yes disable it

Quote Originally Posted by t3mujin View Post
    I bought and installed a Series 5 and now I'm having a weird problem: I installed replaced Windows with Ubuntu and installed it with a bootable USB drive, but now I can't seem to boot from USB anymore, even when using an external CD player. The BIOS seems to be ignoring whatever I change on the boot order and goes straight to Ubuntu boot. I haven't used the USB 3.0 drive, as I read somewhere it isn't bootable.

The problem is I have an issue with my Ubuntu installation and really need to boot from USB/CD to repair it...

Am I missing something?
    hi, how did you do to boot on the usb for the first time? And what version of Ubuntu have you installed?

In this thread there is the same problem with boot on usb key... Can you tell us how to mak it works?

you make an usb key bootable with unetbootin?

Thanks for your reply,

I have 15days to try this laptop and install a linux on it else i send it back and it would be too bad because it looks very good for a laptop of this category

Radiance with Radeon

But reset your BIOS first by the option in BIOS

"It has already been proven that USB installation does not work with the Samsung Series 5. Do your self a favour, get an external drive, because you are wasting time trying things others have had tried and failed."
    Present
    > ACER Aspire 4937G-964G50Mn (Dec 2009) + HP Touchpad 32GB x 2 (Sep 2011)
    > HP Pavilion (ENVY?) DV6-6100 with AUO B156HW01 V4 (Sep 2012) + LG Electronics WideBook R590-P.ADRB7A3 (Feb 2012) + Macbook Pro 15 + Macbook Air 11/13 that fails to Turbo

what do you mean by "get an external hard drive?"

to put the samsung hitachi on a normal computer and do the install from a CD or USB?

so how do you explain that some ones succeeded?

everything is detected and works right after installation, the media keys work perfectly. The display switch also works . NB: root / is installed on the SSD and /home on the normal hard drive(hitachi). The result is excellent in terms of performance. PS: install on encrypted partitions dm-crypt through the alternate installer. Everything works fine
    source: liste_portables_samsung - Documentation Ubuntu Francophone

hi dudes, i finally found a solution about how to install Linux on this laptop WITHOUT booting from USB key and WITHOUT an usb cd drive. i've done the installation and i'm finalizing what i exactly wanted then i post the how to here

Hi Guys, I am having the same problem to install ubuntu on my samsung np530 a01. Could anyone update on this post?

razpet or vortex252: how did you solve it?

Thanks for your help, I really need it now.
    ldin

Quote Originally Posted by ldin View Post
    Hi Guys, I am having the same problem to install ubuntu on my samsung np530 a01. Could anyone update on this post?

razpet or vortex252: how did you solve it?

Thanks for your help, I really need it now.
    ldin
    Sorry to reply so late but as nobody need it, I forgot about it....

So to install ubuntu you can do it in 2 ways:

• You get the hd and plug it another computer and then install ubuntu as usual by selecting the right /dev/sdX
      or
    • You get the unetbootin app and select the iso you have downloaded or from the list your prefered distrib. BUT on the bottom of unetbootin, instead of selecting your usb key, you select the C drive. Then you reboot and you will see the normal boot with 2 choices: windows/unetbootin. Select the second and you'll see the normal menu of unetbootin. then you just select as usual to boot in ubuntu. I think you know the rest then?

hope it helps some of you because it's really maddening you can't boot from the usb key!!

edit:
    I have to tell you also that the stable branch of Debian have some probem with wifi and graphic intel hd drivers. No problem with testing and no one with ubuntu 11.10

Thanks a lot Razpet for our answer!
    Could you please give some more details on:
    1. which disks (if you have a hybrid then you have the usual hd plus a small solid state disk) have used for storing the linux partitions.
    2. which version of ubuntu did you use.
    I will be very grateful, today I failed again when trying with ubuntu12.04 but it could be that I wanted to partition the disk using both ssd and hd.
    Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast