Quantcast Samsung Series 5 Ultrabook listed at US retailer for $900, 'coming soon' - Page 10

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 233
  1. #91
    Notebook Evangelist
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    307
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: Samsung Series 5 Ultrabook listed at US retailer for $900, 'coming soon'

    I'm not sure if the BestBuy model is different than the Microsoft Store Model, but it does not fell cheap and the build quality seems quite good...
    Jeff Roach - MCLC, MCT
    Surface RT - RT 8.1
    Samsung Series 5 UltraTouch - Windows 8.1 Enterprise

  2. #92
    Notebook Evangelist
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    591
    Rep Power
    15

    Default Re: Samsung Series 5 Ultrabook listed at US retailer for $900, 'coming soon'

    Quote Originally Posted by andersonjacob54 View Post
    Uh oh. So for a sub-$1000 notebook,, you guys are not satisfied with the series 5?

    This is tough because I want a cheap ultrabook (most are over $1000 these days) that has high storage capacity and a range of connectivity ports. The 13" seemed like everything I would need.
    The 13" and the 14" chassis are built completely differently so I personally haven't removed the 13" from possibilities but the screen wobble was unnerving. Badman's pics of his 13" Series 5 with the bottom panel off versus what the 14" is are totally different construction.

    Plus there's the optical drive which is kind of a dead space. I even saw an asia.cnet article yesterday which said the 14" was a bit flimsier. It wasn't a review, just a First Look sorta thing.

    Also, the 14" has the metal palmrest which turns into a plastic bezel for the keyboard whereas the 13" is all metal, excluding the keyboard itself.

    In the 3.75 pound range also is the Asus U36sd which is a full tdp i5, an invida card and full range of ports. Magnesium alloy chassis, was about $900 last I checked. Then there's Lenovo's U300e which will supposedly be out in 4+ weeks. It was about $930 a week ago with a discount coupon code from their site, but is now back up to an I N S A N E $1200!! I have no idea what they're smoking, and I don't know what else would be comparable to the Series 5 because it does seem that it's the lower end of the price point for its small class.

    @jnjroach
    There's only two Series 5 14" models out now in the US. One for Bestbuy, one from Samsung. The model numbers are on the previous page in my original post.

  3. #93
    Notebook Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    63
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: Samsung Series 5 Ultrabook listed at US retailer for $900, 'coming soon'

    Quote Originally Posted by RWUK View Post
    The 13" and the 14" chassis are built completely differently so I personally haven't removed the 13" from possibilities but the screen wobble was unnerving. Badman's pics of his 13" Series 5 with the bottom panel off versus what the 14" is are totally different construction.

    Plus there's the optical drive which is kind of a dead space. I even saw an asia.cnet article yesterday which said the 14" was a bit flimsier. It wasn't a review, just a First Look sorta thing.

    Also, the 14" has the metal palmrest which turns into a plastic bezel for the keyboard whereas the 13" is all metal, excluding the keyboard itself.

    In the 3.75 pound range also is the Asus U36sd which is a full tdp i5, an invida card and full range of ports. Magnesium alloy chassis, was about $900 last I checked. Then there's Lenovo's U300e which will supposedly be out in 4+ weeks. It was about $930 a week ago with a discount coupon code from their site, but is now back up to an I N S A N E $1200!! I have no idea what they're smoking, and I don't know what else would be comparable to the Series 5 because it does seem that it's the lower end of the price point for its small class.

    @jnjroach
    There's only two Series 5 14" models out now in the US. One for Bestbuy, one from Samsung. The model numbers are on the previous page in my original post.
    Ok, its reassuring that the 13" may be of better build quality since that is the one I am primarily interested in.

    The new Lenovo looks pretty good (looks a little thick, probably because of the all around square design, but it's only 0.7" so I'm not complaining) minus the price. $1200 is way too much. If it was priced competitively around $800-$880, I might consider it. Anything over that, I think the Series 5 will be the better deal even if the Lenovo has better build quality.

  4. #94
    Notebook Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,251
    Rep Power
    32

    Default Re: Samsung Series 5 Ultrabook listed at US retailer for $900, 'coming soon'

    Quote Originally Posted by andersonjacob54 View Post
    Ok, its reassuring that the 13" may be of better build quality since that is the one I am primarily interested in.
    Have you looked at the new 13" Dell Ultrabook? It's been getting surprisingly decent reviews.
    Current Laptop
    14" Samsung Series 7 NP700Z3C-S02US

    Previous Computers
    Sony Vaio FW, Dell Latitude D420, Dell Inspiron 6000, Commodore 64, TRS-80, TI-30 Calculator

  5. #95
    Notebook Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    63
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: Samsung Series 5 Ultrabook listed at US retailer for $900, 'coming soon'

    Quote Originally Posted by SoundsGood View Post
    Have you looked at the new 13" Dell Ultrabook? It's been getting surprisingly decent reviews.
    Yes, the Dell looks pretty good, but there are two things deterring me from it. First, it only has 2 USB ports (and I think no HDMI?). I know most ultrabooks have only 2 USB ports so naturally I think Samsung has an advantage here. On a desk setup, I could alleviate this problem by buying a USB hub (extra spending), but I also frequently use 3 USB ports on the road.

    Another differentiator is the price. I want a notebook under $1000 and the Dell 13 (based on their website) runs at $999 which is really close to my limit. Samsung is a little under it so another reason I lean towards that choice. The XPS may have better build quality, backlighting, etc. but as long as the Samsung is not "terrible" or "really bad" I think it shouldn't matter, right?

    I'm a pretty big computer guy (I'm an electrical engineer after all) and I've built my own Windows/Linux machines and purchased laptops with no problems. Ultrabooks is new territory for me since I have been out of the computer buying game for the last 3 years. I just want to make sure I don't have a bad experience is all.

  6. #96
    Notebook Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    21
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: Samsung Series 5 Ultrabook listed at US retailer for $900, 'coming soon'


  7. #97
    Notebook Evangelist
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    390
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: Samsung Series 5 Ultrabook listed at US retailer for $900, 'coming soon'

    Quote Originally Posted by SoundsGood View Post
    Have you looked at the new 13" Dell Ultrabook? It's been getting surprisingly decent reviews.
    No sd slot on the Dell. Very handy feature for low storage devices like this. I use a 128gb card for media and game emulators. Not practical with the Dell for media or gamers (the ones you can actually play on HD3000), unless a more expensive thumbdrive that sticks out or a USB powered HD that drains the battery.

    The Dell looked good until finding out no sd slot. Post #96 seems the better buy. 3.0, media out and sd slot.

    Added: Mobile HD3000 actually plays a lot of older games well and no problems playing PS1 and PS2 emulators

  8. #98
    Notebook Geek
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    81
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: Samsung Series 5 Ultrabook listed at US retailer for $900, 'coming soon'

    Quote Originally Posted by andersonjacob54 View Post
    Yes, the Dell looks pretty good, but there are two things deterring me from it. First, it only has 2 USB ports (and I think no HDMI?). I know most ultrabooks have only 2 USB ports so naturally I think Samsung has an advantage here. On a desk setup, I could alleviate this problem by buying a USB hub (extra spending), but I also frequently use 3 USB ports on the road.

    Another differentiator is the price. I want a notebook under $1000 and the Dell 13 (based on their website) runs at $999 which is really close to my limit. Samsung is a little under it so another reason I lean towards that choice. The XPS may have better build quality, backlighting, etc. but as long as the Samsung is not "terrible" or "really bad" I think it shouldn't matter, right?

    I'm a pretty big computer guy (I'm an electrical engineer after all) and I've built my own Windows/Linux machines and purchased laptops with no problems. Ultrabooks is new territory for me since I have been out of the computer buying game for the last 3 years. I just want to make sure I don't have a bad experience is all.
    personally I was looking for a light laptop that had a matte screen, and that was not dismally dim since I use it mostly under harsh tube lights (conference halls, hotel hallways, outside etc) so no HP Folio, and I am thinking that the XPS will be the same poorly lit glossy display.

  9. #99
    Notebook Geek
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    81
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: Samsung Series 5 Ultrabook listed at US retailer for $900, 'coming soon'

    one thing that I find funny is that all the tech sites talked to lengths about the Samsung Ultrabooks, and then when they come out, no reviews??

  10. #100
    Notebook Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    63
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: Samsung Series 5 Ultrabook listed at US retailer for $900, 'coming soon'

    Quote Originally Posted by joeyl View Post
    one thing that I find funny is that all the tech sites talked to lengths about the Samsung Ultrabooks, and then when they come out, no reviews??
    Exactly. All the major review sites claim that the product has just launched or not yet launched, but clearly you can buy it at stores. Also, I would expect them to get their hands on the notebook early. Either the review websites are purposefully ignoring it (why?) or Samsung is doing a terrible job promoting the laptop.

 

 
Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:40 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1