Quantcast Series 7 Chronos All Models: Push for SAMSUNG to implement "FIXED MODE" in BIOS

View Poll Results: Indicate your interest for Samsung to implement a fix for the OpenGL issue

Voters
213. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm all for it, Samsung should implement a fix.

194 91.08%
  • Otherwise I may consider returning the Series 7 for a refund.

91 42.72%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 116 123451151101 ... LastLast
    Radiance with Radeon

Default Series 7 Chronos All Models: Push for SAMSUNG to implement "FIXED MODE" in BIOS

Samsung Series 7 Chronos NP700Z5A NP700Z3A NP700Z4A NP700Z5B

Updated 9 May 2012
    There are users who encountered some issues with the SAMSUNG 8.940 driver. Read this post and further for workaround.
    Series 7 Chronos All Models: Push for SAMSUNG to implement "FIXED MODE" in BIOS

Updated 7 April 2012
    Driver fix for OpenGL only, manual graphics switching still impossible
    Download the new update 8.940 from Samsung website. For certain models the drivers are still not updated, so use the following link to find it.
    http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.co...940.0.0000.ZIP

Public Service Announcement: Samsung declines to fix Broken Switchable Graphics, citing technical resources limitation. (18 JAN 2012)

I just received the email from the Singapore Samsung CS Manager

"Dear Mr Young,

We refer to your feedback dated January 10th.

We have done a series of check with our HQ and about the NP700Z5A openGL supporting issue.
    At the moment we are unable to implement this function as this is not a simple BIOS update work. This will definitely include a hardware revision causing our mainboard design to be changed.

Our next model might have the PowerXpress5.0 support for openGL in dynamic GPU mode, and in addition, current NP700Z5A design also support openGL but with intel internal GFX mode.

We will be doing a refund for your Samsung laptop. Digital Asia will be in contact with you for the refund to be done.

We thank you for your feedback.

Please feel free to contact me for any further enquiries that you have.

Thanks & Regards,
    Mithya Saminathan - Manager
    Samsung Customer Care 1800-7267864"

So if any of you wants a refund, just contact your local Samsung and quote them on this post. Samsung needs to liaise with the reseller to do the refund for you.

Since already many have PM me to forward the email to them, I shall post a screenshot of the email, with my email address censored.

Our very own Campaign page on Facebook. Please like it and comment to show your support!
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Series...111745?sk=wall

"In my view, a company "handling" a problem requires:
    Stages
    1. Admitting it is an issue.
    2. Providing some explanation (whether it's how/why it was allowed through their QC process, or just, "we messed up").
    3. Offering solutions, or explaining why nothing can be done.
    4. If nothing truly can be done, then accept return per standard policy with an apology."

Samsung fails Stage 1 immediately.
    New: A poll has been added for you to indicate your interest.

How to vote:

You may select one or both options.

You MUST select option 1 if you wish to vote.

Select option 1 if you want Samsung to fix.

Select option 2 if you feel you may wish to return the laptop if no solution is implemented.

Select both if you want Samsung to fix AND feel that you may consider returning the laptop if no solution is implemented.

If Samsung implements the "fixed mode" graphics option in BIOS, potential benefits include:

Usage of OpenGL programmes without mod
    Ability to select which graphics to use
    Ability to update graphics driver yourself
    Undervolting and Overclocking of AMD HD6750M

Background Info: Other companies like HP have enabled BIOS options to allow for "Fixed Mode" graphics which enables the older type of switchable graphics (manual type).

So if possible, please let Samsung tech support know about this, the more the merrier to get this possibly implemented.

New information has been added.

Adapted from http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-e...ut-envy15.html, where HP ENVY15 owners are trying to reach HP on the screen issue.

Instead of venting in all the wrong places like we have been (I am also guilty of this), let's channel our energy to try to get something actually done about it. Because, let's face it, no matter how much we complain to each other here, nothing's going to get done. Same goes for low level Samsung sales and CS reps.

Here are my thoughts:
    1. Social media. Let's hit SAMSUNG's Twitter and Facebook hard about this issue.
    Our very own Campaign page on Facebook. Please like it and comment to show your support!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Samsun...111745?sk=wall

Samsung Pages on Facebook
    Samsung Notebook | Facebook
    Samsung Singapore | Facebook
    Samsung Answers on Facebook | Facebook
    Samsung Mobile - Wall | Facebook

Here's a few Twitter accounts:
    @SamsungSupport (which is Samsung's Social Media Support Team)
    @SamsungNotebook
    @Samsungtweets
    @samsunguk

Make it trend: Attach #SamsungS7OpenGLissue at the end of your tweet!

2. Tech websites.Anandtech, Engadget Let's totally flood their inboxes and ask them to talk about this issue. (which is a problem for all notebooks with AMD Dynamic Switching).

3. E-mails to the right people. Can we find e-mails to some high-ups in Samsung's computer/consumer electronics division? People that could actually get something done if they felt it was important enough an issue.

4. Discourage others. Let's openly discourage potential buyers from buying this laptop. We need to let others know about the issue. Soon, these laptops will be available from other retailers around the world (the international launch is mid to end Jan 2012). Plenty of other places we can tell people about the problems with this laptop, I'm sure.

5. Return! Threaten to return, and then follow through if nothing is done to address our concerns. When RMA-ing, make sure you make it clear that this is the main reason for your return.

That's all I've got. Can you guys think of anything else. In this day and age, consumers have more options (and power) than ever. We just have to approach this the right way, and I think we have a chance of getting something done about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Strelzy View Post
    Thank you all for the info I've received so far! Varyv88, I did get your PM; apparently I did have PM limitations but some moderator was kind enough to change my status.

I've forwarded the system info, and the issue has been sent to our R&D team in Korea. I am not able to make any promises on behalf of Samsung, but we are looking into the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by H.A.L. 9000 View Post
    What has been implemented with the BIOS modification by Dell and HP is this:

After flashing the modified BIOS, options in the BIOS menus are unchanged. BUT one now has the ability to update the AMD GPU with official AMD drivers. After flashing the BIOS update, and subsequently updating the GPU drivers from AMD, you gain an extra contextual menu option to "Configure Switchable Graphics":

You also get this option under the AMD Catalyst Control Center:

Now you can manually change the switchable options:

This is what Samsung needs to implement on the BIOS level.
    Last edited by yknyong1; 9th May 2012 at 06:39 AM.
    Present
    > ACER Aspire 4937G-964G50Mn (Dec 2009) + HP Touchpad 32GB x 2 (Sep 2011)
    > HP Pavilion (ENVY?) DV6-6100 with AUO B156HW01 V4 (Sep 2012) + LG Electronics WideBook R590-P.ADRB7A3 (Feb 2012) + Macbook Pro 15 + Macbook Air 11/13 that fails to Turbo

Notebook Enthusiast

Default Re: Samsung Series 7 Chronos NP700Z5A: Push for SAMSUNG to implement "FIXED MODE" in BIOS

I was thinking the very same myself. Installing new drivers from anywhere else but samsung is a hassle, especially if you uninstall previous drivers before installing new ones. I got packages from amd that weren't complete with the intel control center part and ended up installing them separately. Turns out that that you need to install a complete switchable graphics package for all features to be present as on the samsung drivers. Downloaded the original package from Samsung, then updated to 11.11c without uninstalling, all the while hoping that the intel part wouldn't get f'ed up again.
    Last edited by varyv88; 9th December 2011 at 05:18 AM. Reason: edited for coherency

Radiance with Radeon

Default Re: Samsung Series 7 Chronos NP700Z5A: Push for SAMSUNG to implement "FIXED MODE" in BIOS

The driver alone is a hassle - AMD Dynamic Graphics is not as seamless as NVIDIA Optimus when it comes to installing drivers - because we need to rely on SAMSUNG to put out new drivers (or we hack drivers), which happens once in a blue moon.

Question is why suffer if Samsung can try to implement? If HP can do it, what's stopping Samsung?
    Present
    > HP Pavilion (ENVY?) DV6-6100 with AUO B156HW01 V4 (Sep 2012) + LG Electronics WideBook R590-P.ADRB7A3 (Feb 2012) + Macbook Pro 15 + Macbook Air 11/13 that fails to Turbo

Notebook Enthusiast

I would be more than happy if samsung chooses to go this way. It is always a good idea to listen to the customer - HP users seem pretty satisfied after the bios update. Also, this means their customers would have lesser problems with for their opengl applications, and not having to spend hours on the internet looking for solutions. Is is irritating to buy a 1k+ laptop with a very decent graphics card, and not being able to play your favorite game on it.

My question is this: At what level do we need to contact Samsung for them to understand our need/problems? We could try talking to customer service reps, but if we could focus our demands to someone who is closer to the solution, we could get it done faster.

Notebook Consultant

I completely agree!

Radiance with Radeon

Quote Originally Posted by varyv88 View Post
    I would be more than happy if samsung chooses to go this way. It is always a good idea to listen to the customer - HP users seem pretty satisfied after the bios update. Also, this means their customers would have lesser problems with for their opengl applications, and not having to spend hours on the internet looking for solutions. Is is irritating to buy a 1k+ laptop with a very decent graphics card, and not being able to play your favorite game on it.

My question is this: At what level do we need to contact Samsung for them to understand our need/problems? We could try talking to customer service reps, but if we could focus our demands to someone who is closer to the solution, we could get it done faster.
    I don't know where you live, but it would be good if you could speak to a L2 tech.
    Present

Notebook Enthusiast

I'm in NY, so calling them should not be a problem. Actually, I will try doing that today and see what happens. Will let you guys know.

If we could all try talking to the same department, maybe we could get some resolution here.

Radiance with Radeon

We need more people to help let Samsung know about this, please do not hesitate to call up.
    Present

Notebook Enthusiast

Talked to live support online, had to provide them with laptop id# and they gave me a ticket no. to talk to tier 2 support after they couldn't find a solution. Tried calling the customer care line, but they couldn't find a tier 2 tech to talk to. Said they will call me back within 24h.
    Since this problem is not listed with them currently, more people need to tell them about the manual switch issue. Hopefully, that will make them prioritize it enough. A bios update is not something small....they need to know it's an issue with enough people to warrant it.

Will keep everyone updated.

EDIT: The tech from Samsung called and I explained the issue to him about the problem not just being limited to samsung laptops. He seemed friendly and really eager to help. The first level service lines from samsung are a little shoddy, though (beware of accents, at least on the general help line). The tier 2 support is fine, though.

We need to work as a community if we need to get this problem fixed as soon as possible. The number for samsung support is 1-800-726-7864. Call and tell them you need to talk to tier 2 about the switchable graphics issue and/or opengl. Also have your model and serial no. (this the the 14 digit alphanumeric on the white sticker on the back of your laptop) ready.

Manual switching would work so much better if we had the option.
    Last edited by varyv88; 11th December 2011 at 09:09 AM. Reason: UPDATE

Radiance with Radeon

We need more people to contribute. Else the two loners here can't get Samsung to move!
    Present

Page 1 of 116 123451151101 ... LastLast