Quantcast Samsung R519 ..... Dead!

+ Reply to Thread

Default Samsung R519 ..... Dead!

Hi all,

I have just been given the above laptop, it does absolutely nothing other than turn on the power light and turn it off after a 5sec hold, no boot, no fan, no lights, no nise of any kind, no hdd life, zilch. The battery is charged and the charger is ok. It does the same with or without the battery fitted.

I have removed parts one by one and tested for life at each step, I now have the motherboard out on its own and still no go, reseated the CPU and am at my wits end as to where to go next other than heat gunning the GPU?

I can find little information other than one or two for sale on eBay with the same fault, which presumably means it's quite common?

If anyone could enlighten my darkness it would be greatly appreciated!!!!

It may have been dropped at some time as the fan outlet plastics are broken but internally there is no sign of damage.

Regards, Bob, UK.

Moderately inquisitive

Default Re: Samsung R519 ..... Dead!

Did you try removing / replacing the RAM and, if two modules, using only one at a time?

Even if the GPU is sick, you usually get a corrupted display, not nothing.

John

Only got one stick of RAM but made no difference, dismantled and tested it bit by bit. Yes in my limited experience [HP dv2000] of bad GPU's it's usually corrupt screen although the last time it was a blank screen that worked on an external display only, I am also surprised that there is no sign of life but if the bad joint was an important one apparently the start up will not go past it.
    I was hopeing that there might be some experience of this laptop or GPU about on the forum?
    Regards, Bob.

Moderately inquisitive

Quote Originally Posted by GreenGiant View Post
    I was hoping that there might be some experience of this laptop or GPU about on the forum?
    The Series 9 seems to have generated a critical mass of discussion but owners of other Samsung models tend to come and go. However, I don't know of another forum with more active discussion of Samsung notebooks.

All I can suggest is to get out a magnifying glass and check all the connectors and look for broken tracks. Also give the power sub-system a thorough check. Usually, if the computer can start to boot then it will emit some beeps if it encounters hardware problems so I wonder if the computer is not even trying to start.

John

Yes, todays job is an even more close look at it and then a reheat of the GPU if nothing found and eventually try and find another motherboard if no success!
    No sign of any life is seen, a few bleeps would have been very nice music to hear, all I've got is a power light [that works]! So yes, it's not trying to start.
    Bob.
    ps: Do you have any idea where I can get a service manual for it, they seem rather elusive?
    Last edited by GreenGiant; 25th July 2011 at 05:43 AM. Reason: Something to add.

Lots of fluff cleaned out of the fan, some sticky flux pushed under the edge of the GPU and zapped with the heat gun. Result, working ok and running reasonably cool for several days of hard use, wonder how long it will last?
    Bob.

Moderately inquisitive

Thanks for the update. Samsung service manuals are hard to find.

John