Quantcast Gizmodo: Samsung Installing Keyloggers? - Page 2

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Moderately inquisitive

Default Re: Gizmodo: Samsung Installing Keyloggers?

Quote Originally Posted by 5ushiMonster View Post
    @John Ratsey
    First off, as a Korean and for the phrase 'oriental origin' to come up does sound rather... discriminatory. Well, at least that's what it sounds like it's implying. But that's my opinion. And you're of course entitled to yours.
    Possibly discriminatory but not intended to be offensive. The east Asian culture of the boss being right even when they are wrong (but no one is prepared to tell them) means that the "customer is king" approach of some western companies doesn't work very well. I know from past dealings with Samsung UK support that they get frustrated by the challenge of getting problems fixed by the people in Korea.

John

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by John Ratsey View Post
    Possibly discriminatory but not intended to be offensive. The east Asian culture of the boss being right even when they are wrong (but no one is prepared to tell them) means that the "customer is king" approach of some western companies doesn't work very well. I know from past dealings with Samsung UK support that they get frustrated by the challenge of getting problems fixed by the people in Korea.

John
    Can't argue with your 'customer is the king' theory, because that's quite true ^_^

I am unable to comment on Samsung after-sales abroad but I have had excellent encounters IN Korea. And this is with Samsung products only sold in Western countries (notably the SGH-D600 and the SGH-E640, and the two MP3 players I mentioned earlier).

For the SGH-D600, the entire top slider stopped working (no LCD, no backlight for the upper-slider keys), but the thing still turned on, noticable by when the keypad lighted up. Wasn't in the best of nick.
    My SGH-E640, a flip phone which was run over by a slow-moving car with the thing flipped open. Miraculously it survived MINUS the main LCD being horrendously cracked (though everything else, including the camera, flash, and external LCD, were intact).

Anyways, got those two repaired in Korea free of charge. Though granted, not being 'for-Korea' phones it took them a while to source in the parts. But the entire repair process was a week (7 days). And again, I emphasise FREE of CHARGE.

As for my YP-T8. That had a bad ear-jack connection which was repaired at the service centre in 20 minutes. Cost me US$2. And my YP-U2, cracked monochrome display, replaced in 10 minutes, cost me US$10.

In all four cases above, the warranties had expired long before they were taken into service.

Koreans buy Samsung products because Samsung has the best AS (after-sales) service in the country. Period, full stop. And having experienced it myself, it makes the support in Western countries look, rather bluntly, crap. Another reason why Fujitsu's laptop lineup never lasted in Korea; they were notorious for bad customer service and people just simply stopped buying them altogether. Fujitsu pulled out from the Korean market at the end. There are companies in the country that try and emulate Samsung's AS in terms of quality (Sony Korea being one), but despite that Samsung wins, hands-down. The Samsung brand-name is a household subject due to the high-quality AS. And the masses wouldn't trust any other brand as a result.

...anyways, back to the original subject...
    I know the keylogger story turned out to be a false alarm, but had it turned out to be true, I wouldn't have been surprised with street demonstrations asking for heads to roll at Samsung. Us Korean's as consumers are extremely demanding, hence the rather fast progression of anything that is reliant on speed, the internet for example...
    Last edited by 5ushiMonster; 3rd April 2011 at 07:24 AM.
    VGN-Z26: C2D P8600 (2.4GHz), 8GB DDR3 RAM, 320GB Hitachi 7200RPM HDD, BD-RE drive, Hybrid nVidia / Intel graphics, Intel WifiLink 5100AGN, W7 Pro x64
    Battery drain fix-request thread
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/sony/423924-sony-battery-drain-fix-request-thread.html

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by steampot View Post
    that so called 'security expert' is a loser. if he had done the leg work like analyzing hashes of the hidden file, find drivers, registry entries, etc that ultimately lead to the false positive at least he gets some respect. But no, he uses a commercial virus scanner and doesnt check anything himself and then proceeds into a hissy fit. lol, hilariously lame.

its also hilarious so many people are acting like simpletons/plebeians. they listen to hearsay and they ignorantly run with it.

wow, the 'oriental'? i didnt know we still lived in the 60s?
    Yes, this is the real issue, The negligent-fame-seeker who "reported it" did absolutely no research before he ran off and blabbed his so-called findings to networkworld.com over in Canada.

In fact his first report of the "keylogger" refused to state what antivirus software he was using. Only that it was a "Commercially Licensed antivirus software" that, according to the idiot, has never produced a false-positive in six years of use.

I have one Samsung product in my house, and it was a T.V that was affected by the capacitor issue because they went cheap on a part that literally costs pennies to manufacture. The worst part is, if you call them to fix the problem, they are supposedly replacing the power boards and the replacements supposedly have the same exact capacitors on them that failed the first time, so the tv will fail again. So the only real way to fix it is to do it yourself and order the right capacitors from some place like radio shack. When they finally acknowledged the issue existed, most models weren't covered under the 1 time free fix.

In any case, the dude who reported it should offer a public apology for being lazy and negligent, but I doubt he will.

As to the above poster stating that Koreans buy Samsung products because of their service... Koreans buy Samsung products because Samsung is a Korean company plain and simple.

And Samsung's Service in the states, isn't so hot.

I think Samsung sees its only competitors as Sony and Apple. That seems to be their focus in any case, and more Sony than Apple... Because Apple has great service in the states, and Samsung's service is more on par with Sony's (IE: Not very good).
    Last edited by dkwhite; 4th April 2011 at 01:47 PM.

HP HDX18t 18.4", Core 2 Duo 2.8ghz, 8 Gigs Ram, 500x2 Gigabyte HDD, Windows 7 x64 Ultimate.

Dell XPS 15, Core I5 560M 2.66ghz, 8 Gigs Ram, 640 Gigabyte 7200RPM HDD, 1080p, WIndows 7 Ultimate

Macbook Pro 13.3 Base Model

Notebook Consultant

Possibly discriminatory but not intended to be offensive.
    Thats an oxymoron.

The east Asian culture of the boss being right even when they are wrong (but no one is prepared to tell them) means that the "customer is king" approach of some western companies doesn't work very well. I know from past dealings with Samsung UK support that they get frustrated by the challenge of getting problems fixed by the people in Korea.

John
    Actually certain facets of the 'Western culture' heavily live by the 'boss is right' mentality; e.g. the military.

Actually, the fact you are trying to pass off the very concept of subordination as being something intimately 'asian' itself further reveals biggotry on your part.

Lets just say, if you are insubordinate to your boss here in North America, or elsewhere in 'western' Europe, you will get fired also - often even if you are unionized.

Moderately inquisitive

Quote Originally Posted by Smellycant View Post
    Lets just say, if you are insubordinate to your boss here in North America, or elsewhere in 'western' Europe, you will get fired also - often even if you are unionized.
    Insubordinate means disobedient, ie failure to follow orders. My comment relates to whether there is any culture or process to query the orders, sometimes point out that there is a better way of doing things and being able to discuss that suggestion. I'm brought up in a culture which allows me to question orders that I don't agree with.

John

Notebook Consultant

Insubordinate means disobedient, ie failure to follow orders. My comment relates to whether there is any culture or process to query the orders, sometimes point out that there is a better way of doing things and being able to discuss that suggestion. I'm brought up in a culture which allows me to question orders that I don't agree with.

John
    So what are you saying? That certain cultures, and you are clearly pointing to asian cultures, are blindly and ignorantly obedient?

At this point it is worth mentioning ignorance and obedience are not intimately related. You may know better but you may follow orders nonetheless.

I have to state and stress again, that western military are examples where subordination to one's superiors is a vital core of the system. Insubordination is grounds for court martial even if you think you are smarter than your superior officer. The western corporate world is also another example where subordination to your superior is often important. etc.

The fact you are trying to paint 'westerners' as having some form of superiority because we are 'free thinkers' or mavricks, while insinutating such traits dont exist in asian cultures, is frankly quite biggoted as I have said before.

I would hazard to guess you know very little about asian cultures or show them much respect?

Moderately inquisitive

Quote Originally Posted by Smellycant View Post
    I would hazard to guess you know very little about asian cultures or show them much respect?
    All I will say is that I have spent about 3 years working in one of the east Asian countries. I am not saying that individual people are blindly and ignorantly obedient but there is a culture of subservience which makes it difficult for individuals to air their views (and as a manager, getting staff working me to tell me what they actually think).

We have gone somewhat off-topic so I'm now closing this thread.

John

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12