Quantcast Samsung 9 Series laptop (ZX310 / 900X3A) unveiled - Page 145

+ Reply to Thread
Page 145 of 336 FirstFirst ... 4595135141142143144145146147148149155195245 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,450 of 3356
    Notebook Consultant

Default Re: Samsung 9 Series laptop (ZX310 / 900X3A) unveiled

I wouldn't delete the Recovery partition until you've backed it up. Using the Recovery option should restore the machine to the original state, and if you're at all concerned about fan noise it's well worth having the silent mode. Alternatively, you might try calling support.

My fan can get pretty loud when it ramps up, but usually I have to focus on it to hear it. Silent mode switches it off.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by hvt View Post
    Thanks for your version numbers. They are more recent than the ones available on the Samsung page. I need to wait for the newer version of Display Manager to show up on the Samsung page.
    Have you tried to run Samsung Update Plus? In theory it should update all of your Samsung software. Another option is Canadian Samsung web site - it has some new software available compared to US version. In case of glitches, use French instead of English.

Installing that will hopefully add the option of Silent Mode. In the meantime, I may do a fresh install of the OS to remove all the unnecessary system files/registries I may have created while trying to fix the Silent Mode hoopla. That way I will also get a chance to remove the Recovery partition occupying 20GB.
    You can easily remove it in 30 sec. Samsung 9 Series laptop (ZX310 / 900X3A) unveiled I don't see a point of fresh install of the OS on a new computer unless you are installing a different OS - Samsung preinstalled software is marginal.

Writing this makes me think that trying the Recovery (using F4 at startup) may bring the laptop to original state? I will try that as well before doing a fresh OS install.
    How did it go? I removed my recovery partition right away in favor of additional 20Gb and didn't have a chance to try that.

Another quick question. I can hear (slightly) my fan to be always on after 5 minutes of light usage - text rendering pages on IE and reading pdf documents on adobe. Are you able to notice the fan to be on as well. Samsung has beautifully designed the laptop in a way that noise is low to the person sitting in front but I can slightly still hear it while I am in the library or at a silent place. Do you guys also notice the fan almost always on (though not easily audible) while using this laptop?
    That's where you can use a Silent mode, which you are missing in Control center, but is always available through BIOS - Fan Silent Mode. It does absolutely the same.
    Last edited by phil1980; 8th June 2011 at 12:07 PM.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by eSanto View Post
    Have you tested actual throughput/range on 5ghz yet? Just curious if that would help streaming things around my house. Almost impossible as it is now.
    Use search! Samsung 9 Series laptop (ZX310 / 900X3A) unveiled

Notebook Enthusiast

A curiostiy i have a few laptop wifi antennas lying around when i bought a wifi card awhile back and see if anyone has tape the wifi antenna to other areas of the laptop bottom and gotten better reception?

Notebook Enthusiast

Another thing samsung could do is come up with a alternative bottom plate ?

hvt

Quote Originally Posted by becme View Post
    I wouldn't delete the Recovery partition until you've backed it up. Using the Recovery option should restore the machine to the original state, and if you're at all concerned about fan noise it's well worth having the silent mode. Alternatively, you might try calling support.

My fan can get pretty loud when it ramps up, but usually I have to focus on it to hear it. Silent mode switches it off.
    Good news. I got it working. Samsung Recovery came to my rescue. On using recovery via F4 at startup (it can be also be used while the OS is running if Samsung Recovery Solution software is installed), there is a System Software Icon that helps in installing the list of drivers and Samsung software that came with the new laptop. I simply used the installation from there and bingo things work as usual. Silent Mode works flawlessly now.

Samsung should update the softwares on their website or direct users to use Recovery for now. They should also fix the Samsung Update Plus software to include the Microsoft Patches that are required with that Samsung software. Till now it has provided me the updates for drivers only (e.g. Touchpad) but not for any Microsoft patches that are required for the Samsung software. Recovery provides a way to do that. I also think Samsung Update Plus is buggy for determining the newer version of Samsung software as it did not help me to find a newer version of Samsung Display Manager.

My current usage make 3 Samsung softwares a keep for me:
    1 - Easy Display Manager
    2 - Samsung Recovery Solution
    3 - Samsung Easy Update Plus
    & Microsoft Patches that are installed by the Recovery Solution

All others are bloats for my type of usage. Someone else may have a different list depending on their usage. Another point to note is that for now install any Samsung software using the Samsung Recovery Solution tool. Its help can be found on the following link: SAMSUNG. Look at the bottom on "Performing A System Software Installation".

As mentioned before by the person who helped me, do not remove the Recovery data unless you have backed it up. Recovery is the only way to bring your laptop to the original state. I have now postponed a fresh install of OS to a future date (may be when Windows 8 arrive ) and will make sure not to format the Recovery (or back it up) before I do that.

Thanks guys.
    Last edited by hvt; 8th June 2011 at 01:34 PM.

Notebook Consultant

Samsung should update the softwares on their website or direct users to use Recovery for now. They should also fix the Samsung Update Plus software to include the Microsoft Patches that are required with that Samsung software.
    What do you mean by that? Has Microsoft released any special patches to fix the problems with Samsung software?

hvt

Quote Originally Posted by phil1980 View Post
    What do you mean by that? Has Microsoft released any special patches to fix the problems with Samsung software?
    I wrote it incorrectly. Sorry for the confusion. I meant Windows 7 common patches and not Microsoft patches. These are the patches provided by Samsung and they call it Windows 7 patches. To have a better idea look at the dialog box at the bottom of this page: SAMSUNG.

They are also available on the Samsung Download page (http://www.samsung.com/us/support/do...NP900X3A-A03US) with the name of MS Hotfix Common and MS Hotfix Critical Updates. My guess is these are similar to the ones named "Windows y common patch" in recovery.

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by scuzy View Post
    Another thing samsung could do is come up with a alternative bottom plate ?
    IMHO, it's not a solution. The wireless waves should have a path to go when the laptop is stationed on the surface, not while someone holding it in a hand in the air and moving the bottom plate.

Notebook Consultant

I wrote it incorrectly. Sorry for the confusion. I meant Windows 7 common patches and not Microsoft patches. These are the patches provided by Samsung and they call it Windows 7 patches. To have a better idea look at the dialog box at the bottom of this page: SAMSUNG.

They are also available on the Samsung Download page (Samsung) with the name of MS Hotfix Common and MS Hotfix Critical Updates. My guess is these are similar to the ones named "Windows y common patch" in recovery.
    Why do you think those patches could not be installed via regular Microsoft Update? Can you check what exactly installed by this hotfix package?