Quantcast X360 34p freeze up randomly - please help if you are an owner of samsung x360

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default X360 34p freeze up randomly - please help if you are an owner of samsung x360

Hi, everyone. I have installed Windows 7 laterly on my samsung x360. The laptop froze up for no reason after several minutes, it happened randomly when I open IE, a file or even the download complete notice will cause the trouble. everything works fine when the AC adaptor is pluged in , but if it is running on battery, problems occured. I have similar problem on VISTA, but it is after some driver upgrade I guess. When I got this laptop, everything works just fine. so I suspect the driver is the resource of problem. But I find it hard to convinced myself that a upgrade of driver from samsung will cause such a big problem. I do also suspect if it is indeed a hardware failure, if so I d rush to send it to samsung to check it out, since I am still under 1 year warranty period. Thanks in advance for any advise.

Your problem has some similarity to a BSOD I was occasionally getting on my Dell E6400. We have the same Intel X4500 graphics (but I'm running XP).

About a month ago, Microsoft's crash analyser advised me to disable Write Combing (Display properties > Settings > Advanced > Troubleshoot). So far, the BSOD's haven't reoccurred.

John
    ---can't change it since the button is gray-out in my system

Updated: I sent it in, and was told that they change the whole battery compartment, or something, I am not too sure, maybe they just replace my motherboard. Install Win-7, and works fine so far. My warranty is running out quick, does anyone know if I can buy extended warranty? I am worrying whether it is going to happen again. If so, I will say it is a hardware design or qualitity issue. Since I see so many people here with same issue.
    Last edited by andytuqing; 14th April 2010 at 12:11 PM. Reason: update

Moderately inquisitive

Default Re: X360 34p freeze up randomly - please help if you are an owner of samsung x360

I think the problem I had on my E6400 was fixed when I changed a setting for write combing in the graphics driver. However, I can't find where that setting is.

You may want to try a different version of the graphics driver. It is very unlikely that the hardware itself has a problem.

John

Default Re: X360 34p freeze up randomly - please help if you are an owner of samsung x360

I've got exactly the same problem with my X360. Everything works fine as long as it is plugged in, but on battery the system freezes after some minutes. This happens even on a newly installed Windows 7 system without having installed any additional drivers. However, it takes about 30 min until it is happening. With installing a driver for the Intel graphics device, things get even worse: The system freezes after some 2-5 min. Thus, it seems the problem is related to the graphics driver. I tried every Intel and Samsung driver for both x86 and x64 versions of Windows 7, but it doesn’t change anything. Disabling the display themes and effects does not help either.
    The system has been running perfect on the pre-installed Vista. The above mentioned “write combing” option does not exist in Windows 7. In summary, it seems there is no solution to that problem so far, and I will go back to Vista. Let me know if you have made any progress.

Quote Originally Posted by gixgax View Post
    I've got exactly the same problem with my X360. Everything works fine as long as it is plugged in, but on battery the system freezes after some minutes. This happens even on a newly installed Windows 7 system without having installed any additional drivers. However, it takes about 30 min until it is happening. With installing a driver for the Intel graphics device, things get even worse: The system freezes after some 2-5 min. Thus, it seems the problem is related to the graphics driver. I tried every Intel and Samsung driver for both x86 and x64 versions of Windows 7, but it doesn’t change anything. Disabling the display themes and effects does not help either.
    The system has been running perfect on the pre-installed Vista. The above mentioned “write combing” option does not exist in Windows 7. In summary, it seems there is no solution to that problem so far, and I will go back to Vista. Let me know if you have made any progress.
    well, even goes back to the factory vista, it wont solve the problem. I sent it back to samsung to checkup. Seems like a hardware related issue. Will update any info later.

Notebook Enthusiast

I am having the exact same issue using the version of Vista Business that was installed when I bought it.

Notebook Deity

34p is the 1 with SSD ?

I am having no problems so far...

I've been having the exact same issue and it's driving me crazy. It only started after I installed Windows 7 Business. It randomly freezes in the same manner described above, and only when on battery power. Does anyone have any ideas? I was thinking it might be related to power management, since it's only a symptom of battery power...Dunno. I'm getting desperate for an answer.

My Samsung X360 running Fedora 13 (Linux system) freezes exactly in the same way, max. 5 minutes after unplugging. I suppose that this is related to some power managment bug in the newest Intel graphics drivers.

(Using older drivers, shipped in Fedora 9-10 no freezes were observed)

I would appreciate any info on how to solve this - irrespectively on the system used - maybe thanks to BIOS upgrade or something?

best regards,
    Karol

Moderately inquisitive

If the Linux driver has the same display control panel as the Windows driver then there are some power settings options on the display settings page. Click on the modify settings button and disable all the options. If that fixes the freezing problem then it shows that the driver is trying to do something that the BIOS / hardware doesn't support properly.

John

PS: Have your tried BIOS 08LM which was released on 3rd December?

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm using the new 08LM BIOS version and I have played with the power options of the Intel driver, but no luck. The system freezes as before.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast