Quantcast Resetting my NC10

Closed Thread
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default Resetting my NC10

I've sold my black NC10 (just bought a lovely white one instead - no unsightly fingerprints), and need to get it ready for the buyer.

What do I need to do and how?

Moderately Boss

Default Re: Resetting my NC10

Restore it back to its factory state using the recovery/install discs or partition.

If you had sensitive personal data in there, i suggest running DBAN or killdisk to make sure it is irretrievable.
    . #flickr
    [Desktop] Silverstone LC20B | Q8200 2.8ghz | GTX680OCE | 8GB RAM | 128GB M4 SSD | 12TB HDD | Intel 6300N | Dell U3014
    [Notebook] HP DV2500 Verve SE | T7500 | 8400GS | 4GB DDR2 RAM | WD 250GB HDD | Intel 4965AGN |
    [Worktop] NZXT Apollo | i7-3770 | GTX 460SE | 12GB DDR3 | 120GB Intel 330 SSD | M-Audio Delta 66 | Dell U2913

Advocatus Diaboli

nuke the disc with DBAN and reinstall the OS (via disc or recovery partition). if you want to be nice, update drivers etc as well :
    Lenovo T410 14.1" | 2.66GHZ | 1440x900 | NVS 3100M | 4GB DDR3 | 250GB SSD | Windows 7 64bit
    Alienware m15x 15.6" | 2.5GHZ | 1440x900 | 8800M-GTX | 4GB DDR2 | 160GB HDD | Windows 7 64bit
    Gear Zalman NC2000 | Mionix NAOS 5000 | ROCCAT Taito | 1TB WD Elements | Apple iPhone 4S 16GB

Moderately inquisitive

Pages 4-5 of the Using Samsung Recover Solution booklet describe how to do a complete restore of the operating system as you originally configured it.

Or page 10 of the same booklet explains how to reinstall Windows from the supplied system recovery CD. You would then also need to install the drivers etc from the System software disc.

The second option requires that you have an external optical drive, so the first option is likely to be the easiest (press F4 when the computer is starting to boot).

John

Notebook Enthusiast

Just a warning that by using Samsung Recovery Solution, its not really a complete factory install configuration (i.e. computer name and login name initially set are retained and saved under the hidden partition which would show up after recovery).

Notebook Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by mauwong View Post
    Just a warning that by using Samsung Recovery Solution, its not really a complete factory install configuration (i.e. computer name and login name initially set are retained and saved under the hidden partition which would show up after recovery).
    I noticed that and thought I had done something wrong.

Can anything be done about that (although it isn't a problem because I've just changed the name)?

Moderately inquisitive

I think that is the best you can do. If the purchaser has a USB optical drive then they can make a clean installation from the discs.

John

Notebook Enthusiast

Thank you very much guys.

Your responses have been quick and very helpful.

Much appreciated.

Given that it is relatively easy to obtain software that can recover deleted information even from reformatted HDDs the only secure way of disposing of any PC is to remove the drive, get some proper wiping software & completely flatten it (or swap out the hdd before selling) from another PC

In the NC10s case this will also mean killing the hidden partion to get rid of that initial backup.

Of course this means you'll lose the Recovery Solution functionality and you'll also have to reinstall an OS from a bootable USB stick or external drive.

Getting it back to a clean factory setup is going to be (almost) near impossible as Samsung appear to use grub4dos (and/or Phoenix FirstWareTM Recover ) to chainload the Recovery solution and any other OS.

http://www.sammynetbook.com/plugins/...2.20#post_8827
    Black NC10\'s run faster than the other colours :-)
    Dual Boot XP Home/Vista Ultimate with 2Gb Ram

Why not Share The Experience