Quantcast AMD Catalyst 13.1 (9.012.0 December 19) AMD Official WHQL - Page 24

+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627 LastLast
    Notebook Consultant

Default Re: AMD Catalyst 13.1 (9.012.0 December 19) AMD Official WHQL

Quote Originally Posted by radmarsh View Post
    Run installation as administrator as well

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    Tried Driver Sweep as well ? Use CCleaner to remove broken registry entries. Other than formatting, I'm running out of ideas mate...

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by Shox View Post
    To sum up the thread, has the 7970m actually been 'fixed'? Could it be considered as stable as a 680m. Of course all cards will have issues now and then but has 13.1 brought it to the standard of the nVidia counterparts?
    Hard to say if it was fixed. Mine has been working great with 13.2 over stock drivers since none of the 12 series worked for mine. It seems they are still trying so I am sure they know it isn't fixed.
    NP9150 / 3610QM / IC Diamond / 7970M / 12GB - DDR3 1600MHz / 500gb 7200rpm

Notebook Consultant

This is the same issue I have been having with my 7970m, in that my GPU is NEVER recognized by any of the games that I play. Skyrim, Hard Reset, BioShock I & II
    do NOT see the 7970m in the options menu for selecting the graphic display device.
    This is not a situation that can be fixed with CCC either, because I have tried multiple times to tweak and fix it through CCC with the Performance settings within CCC, and
    it will NOT get fixed that way.
    The problem is that since NONE of any games will see the 7970m card as the primary display adaptor, the games will only run on the HD4000.

Those games WILL see the Nvidia GPU, however, and it WILL display that GPU within the game's display menu.
    I have contact AMD about this, and they have NO IDEA of what to do to fix this (gee, what a shock there..!).

There MUST be a way to resolve this issue, and get games to see the 7970m GPU as the default display choice.

Since AMD is clueless about this, it gives them yet another strike against them with regard to choosing whether or not to get an AMD or Nvidia GPU next time around.

Quote Originally Posted by kRAUZ View Post
    I have run into a little issue which i had a while back and i havent been able to crack it yet.

My 6990M refuses to get recognized, i tried the 13.1 drivers just because they did not tell me that i couldnt install the drivers because i didnt have compatible hardware. Im now running on the integrated GPU so i cannot game at all.
    After an uninstall of CCC through the installer i installed 13.1 and rebooted but i cant seem to find CCC anywhere? I think that my problem roots itself in CCC not launching, so i cant switch to my dedicated GPU and i cant do a fresh install because i have "incompatible hardware".

You guys seem to be fairly active here, and im willing to try whatever means neccesary to try and fix this, its pissing me off not being able to use my m17x for anything but watching movies and surfing the web.

(i had the problem before as i mentioned, a rollback to an earlier backup fixed it, it didnt this time so im out of tricks)

Regards

Krauz

Notebook Consultant

All my games detect the HD4000 as the graphic card in use, but they actually use the 7970m . You can test this yourself. Play a game with "Maximum Performance" in CCC and then exit and play with "Force power Saving". The game will report the HD4000 being in use in both scenarios but it will actually use the 7970m in the "Maximum Performance" setting. You should notice a huge FPS drop and worse IQ.

Notebook Deity

Quote Originally Posted by transphasic View Post
    The FPS numbers on NBC are there to see, and there are comparisons that they list with each game and GPU with the newest drivers out this past month.
    There are a number of games in which there is definitely a noticeable DROP in FPS scores with the new 13.1 driver.
    COD has a drop of almost 23 FPS (from 90 to 68) with 13.1, and that is really disappointing.
    With Medal of Honor, Diablo 3, and Borderlands, there is also a drop of 3 FPS or more as well.

Instead of actually improving the FPS scores of games across the board, some are now getting worse.
    AMD is going in the wrong direction with the driver offerings with many of the games.

I was thinking about getting these games to play during the Holidays, and was waiting on the supposed "improvements"
    forthcoming from AMD to make them more playable, and now that 13.1 is out, I see that the games are getting lower FPS scores
    than I was hoping. This is not good news.
    Nvidia's newer and newest drivers are showing great improvements across the board on games since last fall, while AMD's are not.
    Even on AMD-oriented games, Nvidia is closing in and catching up on the small lead that AMD had in the past.

Even Skyrim that AMD once had a nice lead in, is now trailing by a considerable margin to Nvidia by almost 30 FPS.

Very disappointing news, to say the least.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    I don't know what you're talking about. I am looking at the comparison right now. The 7970M with 13.1 WHQL is getting 75 FPS in Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 (3 FPS below the 680M). The 7970M with 12.11 ALSO was getting 75FPS with Black Ops II: http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Rad...M.72675.0.html
    In Modern Warfare 3, the 7970M gets 69FPS with 13.1 and was getting 73FPS with the original Enduro driver. Your 90FPS value is from an Alienware model, so it isn't valid. I don't understand why you are so concerned about 3-5 FPS losses. AMD probably made some tweaks to 12.11 to ensure stability in 13.1 WHQL, and those tweaks may have caused a slight performance dip.

And where did this 30FPS trail in Skyrim come from? I clearly see "The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Radeon HD 7970M (Catalyst 13.1) 59.3 fps; GeForce GTX 680M (ForceWare 310.90) 55.8 fps." How is the 7970M getting 60FPS with 13.1 WHQL, ahead of the 680M, translate to the 7970M trailing by 30FPS? Are you trolling me?

It seems like you are not looking at the data properly and/or are only focusing on the few games that had a small dip in performance compared to 12.11. The comparison shows that the 7970M is clearly a direct competitor to the 680M, and that 13.1 WHQL performs about as well as 12.11.
    Last edited by TrantaLocked; 3rd February 2013 at 03:42 PM.
    Build: Sager NP9150, Windows 7 Home Premium, 1920x1080 Matte screen, Radeon HD 7970M, Intel i7-3610QM, 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM, Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD, standard DVD/CD drive, Intel Ultimate-N 6300, standard warranty and service

Notebook Evangelist

I have a problem with Starcraft 2. I have to add it to the max performance list everytime I reboot. For some reason it doesn't stick.
    MySN XMG P170EM: 3610QM | 7970M | 8 gig 1600 | Samsung 830 256gb ssd | Killer Wireless N1102 | W7 64-bit

Notebook Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by transphasic View Post
    This is the same issue I have been having with my 7970m, in that my GPU is NEVER recognized by any of the games that I play. Skyrim, Hard Reset, BioShock I & II .
    I have Skyrim, Hard Reset and Path of Exile and none recognise my 7970 but still use it as, for ex. In Skyrim im running Sharpshooter's ENB mod and getting 45-50 fps. Also, i know my cards being used as the fans go into high speed mode when i run these games.

The only game that truly doesn't detect it i think is Hard Reset. I tried but my system kept crashing after a few mins

Notebook Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by TrantaLocked View Post
    I don't know what you're talking about. I am looking at the comparison right now. The 7970M with 13.1 WHQL is getting 75 FPS in Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 (3 FPS below the 680M). The 7970M with 12.11 ALSO was getting 75FPS with Black Ops II: AMD Radeon HD 7970M - NotebookCheck.net Tech
    In Modern Warfare 3, the 7970M gets 69FPS with 13.1 and was getting 73FPS with the original Enduro driver. Your 90FPS value is from an Alienware model, so it isn't valid. I don't understand why you are so concerned about 3-5 FPS losses. AMD probably made some tweaks to 12.11 to ensure stability in 13.1 WHQL, and those tweaks may have caused a slight performance dip.

And where did this 30FPS trail in Skyrim come from? I clearly see "The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Radeon HD 7970M (Catalyst 13.1) 59.3 fps; GeForce GTX 680M (ForceWare 310.90) 55.8 fps." How is the 7970M getting 60FPS with 13.1 WHQL, ahead of the 680M, translate to the 7970M trailing by 30FPS? Are you trolling me?

It seems like you are not looking at the data properly and/or are only focusing on the few games that had a small dip in performance compared to 12.11. The comparison shows that the 7970M is clearly a direct competitor to the 680M, and that 13.1 WHQL performs about as well as 12.11.
    I find it rather comical that people are still trying to blame their own technical failings on a quality product. I'm not a rocket scientist, hell, doing normal maintenance (software & hardware) on this machine can prove challenging at times but if I can manage to make the card perform properly than so can others if they took the time to troubleshoot their OWN mistakes.

NP9150 [] 15.6” 1080p Glossy [] Ivy Bridge i7-3610QM [] AMD® Radeon™ HD 7970M 2GB GDDR5 [] 8GB DDR3 1600MHz [] 256GB Corsair Neutron SSD

Notebook Consultant

Tranta, no, I am not "trolling you" whatever that means in the context you imply.

In their latest benchmarks, Skyrim with the 680m & 3840 I7 was getting 87 FPS.
    That is what I was looking at. Yes, it was with an higher-end I7 CPU, but still noteworthy to it was able to pull in higher numbers like that with the Nvidia 680.
    I was looking for some improvements- incremental to some substantial improvements in FPS across the board, but there was very, very little, if any to be found there nonetheless.

With the CoD: Modern Warfare game, I did see and know that it was an Alienware test system, and that was part of my point here. If Enduro had been fixed as has been said or believed, with the exact same system comparisons, there should be little or no discrepancies between the the benchmarked systems. Even with the newest 13.1, we should have seen SOME improvements, and made it even closer to- if not the same as, the Alienware comparison test system.But there wasn't, and it should have had better numbers than this. At this point, there should be very little or no differences at all now between any of the benchmarked test systems with the updated drivers that AMD has released. It has been almost a year since our 7970m GPUs have been out.
    It is the same exact systems, except for the MUX, of course, but with the drivers, there should be no major differences now between the Alienware and Sager systems.
    There is an almost 25 FPS difference, and still no improvement thus far.
    Enduro has still not been fixed, and instead of getting major improvements in ALL of the games, AMD is choosing to focus on things piecemeal & game by game, instead a global solution
    to every game out there. The Alienware system is still bettering the Sager systems, and MUX or no MUX, that shouldn't be happening by now even after 10 months.

Also, in my another post, I said that the 7970m is not showing up in any of the games that I play most often- only the HD4000 is shown, and AMD still has no idea how to fix the problem.
    I would like to know if this is also a problem with Alienware systems, as I think that it is. Games don't see it, but they do with Nvidia's GPU.
    No, the HD4000 is not the card being used in these games, but I just find it very irritating that no solution or help from AMD after repeated contacts to them have been made to get this resolved.
    That is also something that should be addressed by AMD, since they know that this problem exists.

Yes, it IS nice to not have to constant and repetitious BSODs now that I and everyone else was getting, but our patience is wearing very thin at the needless delays taking place with finally
    getting the 7000 series fixed. As has been said before, it's almost like AMD thought of this GCN idea half-assed, and didn't care to think it through from start to finish to get it right, or to
    know even this idea would work at all. If they had, it would have been fixed from the start, or there never would have been problems in the first place.
    Yeah, I know that this has been talked about Ad Nauseum for 9 months now, but enough is enough and we are tired of waiting.
    If we really DO need a MUX design on our Sagers to make this work, then there really cannot be a fix no matter what, it would seem.
    But according to what I have heard and read elsewhere on other forums, many have said that this can be solved via software patches and updates, so I have gone forward with that as my thinking and basis for being very impatient with the latest result offerings.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Quote Originally Posted by TrantaLocked View Post
    I don't know what you're talking about. I am looking at the comparison right now. The 7970M with 13.1 WHQL is getting 75 FPS in Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 (3 FPS below the 680M). The 7970M with 12.11 ALSO was getting 75FPS with Black Ops II: AMD Radeon HD 7970M - NotebookCheck.net Tech

Notebook Consultant

Guys, AMD Catalyst 13.2 BETA 5 already out there.should i use this one or stay with AMD Catalyst 13.2 BETA 4?